Catholic Publisher Accidentally Uses Angel Moroni on Hymnal Cover

4 hours ago, Damien the Leper said:

Mr. McConkie is likely enjoying purgatory as we speak. Good on him. We all need a bit of cleansing.

Elder McConkie lived a life worth studying and learning more about. For the majority of his life he seemed to see things in black and white; there was no middle ground. Some think this is a good place because there was no question in his mind between truth and error as he saw them. However, as he got older his compassion, charity, and humility seemed to grow exponentially. 

I appreciated both phases because he taught truths during his entire life. However, I came to love him in his later years. I enjoyed meeting him in the Language Training Mission and have tried to follow his example in many was. 

If he is in purgatory, then I expect he will be there with all of humanity. Few can say they tried as fully and completely to follow Jesus Christ as he did. 

• Like 3
5 minutes ago, Storm Rider said:

Elder McConkie lived a life worth studying and learning more about. For the majority of his life he seemed to see things in black and white; there was no middle ground. Some think this is a good place because there was no question in his mind between truth and error as he saw them. However, as he got older his compassion, charity, and humility seemed to grow exponentially. 

I appreciated both phases because he taught truths during his entire life. However, I came to love him in his later years. I enjoyed meeting him in the Language Training Mission and have tried to follow his example in many was. 

If he is in purgatory, then I expect he will be there with all of humanity. Few can say they tried as fully and completely to follow Jesus Christ as he did. 

His final testimony was just incredible.

• Like 1
On 9/4/2020 at 10:41 AM, OGHoosier said:

I've actually thought that Mormon and Moroni, through their close association with the Three Nephites, were exposed to some of the works of the first three Christian centuries. Jesus' original Twelve Apostles rank above the Nephite disciples, I believe, since they were given the sealing power and iirc the same is not recorded for the Nephite disciples, who are not named as apostles (though that could just be a translation thing.)

Helaman 10: 7.

I studied that a fair amount during and before my baptism.  I wanted to make sure at the time that the claim existed somewhere.

"Behold, I give unto you power, that whatsoever ye shall seal on earth shall be sealed in heaven; and whatsoever ye shall loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven; and thus shall ye have power among this people."

Edited by mfbukowski

Another Moroni-less artistic rendition released today for Port Moresby Papua New Guinea. 

port-moresby-papua-new-guinea-temple-117

As a side note, I do have to say that the church is really knocking out a lot of these designs for smaller temples. The 10,700 square foot cookie-cutter temples from 20 years ago I’ve always found... somewhat aesthetically unappealing and asymmetrically odd. But, starting with the Port-au-Prince temple, they’ve been designing some really appealing and sleek designs that are around 10k square feet.

• Like 1
On 9/8/2020 at 4:47 PM, mfbukowski said:

What does Elder McConkie have to do with this?

And who are you to judge him?  I may disagree with some of his theology, but he was a great man of God guilty of the horrible crime of being an imperfect human who made mistakes.

He that is without errors, let him cast the first stone.

It was a joke based on his comments made in his book that should not be named. Sorry the joke was lost on you.

5 hours ago, Judd said:

Another Moroni-less artistic rendition released today for Port Moresby Papua New Guinea. 

port-moresby-papua-new-guinea-temple-117

As a side note, I do have to say that the church is really knocking out a lot of these designs for smaller temples. The 10,700 square foot cookie-cutter temples from 20 years ago I’ve always found... somewhat aesthetically unappealing and asymmetrically odd. But, starting with the Port-au-Prince temple, they’ve been designing some really appealing and sleek designs that are around 10k square feet.

I very much like the simple elegance, looking like it belongs.

Moroni statues have never been esthetically pleasing to me as it rarely balances the characteristics of the spire it is placed with, though I support the symbolic and message carrying  nature of the choice.  My personal choice would be a frieze wall at the entrance done in the local culture's art style with Moroni proclaiming....no flowers or bushes in front distracting, but taller trees behind and surround the area to make a semienclosed feeling with stones appropriate placed for sitting to view and maybe a simple water feature to provide background noise pushing away the noise of the street...something up close and personal on several levels...but one loses the distinctiveness that tells all 'here is a Temple of the Lord as presented by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints'...and leaves an unspoken message in the air 'are you interested in Moroni's message? We would love to tell you, it is rather important to us and to the world we believe'.

9 hours ago, Damien the Leper said:

Please prove this assertion and not just claim that an opinion was being expressed.

Please prove that anyone is a true Christian, rather than just opinion. Little senseless isn't it? I know somewhat of the life of Elder McConkie - his entire life was centered on Jesus Christ and serving him. Whether you or anyone else believes it, is irrelevant. No one is required to believe it. 

Your request to prove the assertion is like asking you if your mother knew you abused small children?  Of course you don't abuse small children, but how do you prove it to a third party? 

If you are really serious about finding out if he was a servant of Jesus Christ and to what degree, then study his life in the same way I have studied the lives of Thérèse of Lisieux, Padre Pio, Bernadette Soubirous, Columba Marmion to name just a few.

• Like 2
On 9/15/2020 at 9:17 AM, Storm Rider said:

Please prove that anyone is a true Christian, rather than just opinion. Little senseless isn't it? I know somewhat of the life of Elder McConkie - his entire life was centered on Jesus Christ and serving him. Whether you or anyone else believes it, is irrelevant. No one is required to believe it. 

Your request to prove the assertion is like asking you if your mother knew you abused small children?  Of course you don't abuse small children, but how do you prove it to a third party? 

If you are really serious about finding out if he was a servant of Jesus Christ and to what degree, then study his life in the same way I have studied the lives of Thérèse of Lisieux, Padre Pio, Bernadette Soubirous, Columba Marmion to name just a few.

No one is calling into question anyone's Christianity. You made a hyperbolic assertion in such a way that it seemed as if you were stating an absolute fact. My problems with Mr. McConkie's theology are not an issue. Remember, I grew up in the church and am familiar with his work. I'm not questioning the heart of Mr. McConkie's faith and his Christianity. That was nowhere asserted or alluded to in my initial response to you. Again, you made a hyperbolic assertion in such a way that others may view your perspective as though other exemplary Christians are found wanting. If this was not your intent then I apologize. 

27 minutes ago, Damien the Leper said:

No one is calling into question anyone's Christianity. You made a hyperbolic assertion in such a way that it seemed as if you were stating an absolute fact. My problems with Mr. McConkie's theology are not an issue. Remember, I grew up in the church and am familiar with his work. I'm not questioning the heart of Mr. McConkie's faith and his Christianity. That was nowhere asserted or alluded to in my initial response to you. Again, you made a hyperbolic assertion in such a way that others may view your perspective as though other exemplary Christians are found wanting. If this was not your intent then I apologize. 

I could have said the same thing about many other individuals - both inside and outside the church. 

The fact remains, your request is impossible to fulfill. I did not interpret your request to question Elder McConkie's Christianity. 

For a believer, we each believe things are absolute fact and yet, do not demand proof outside of our own spiritual evidence. 

If I were not already a McConkie Catholic, I would be a McConkie Mormon.

(I am just trying to be clever and probably failing. I only know Elder McConkie by what I have heard said, mostly here. For what it is worth, I always find I tend to lack sympathy with those who deride Elder McConkie, while feeling a kindred spirit with those who approve of him.)

Edited by 3DOP

Phineas sat for half an hour and then got up to go, having spoken no word on any other subject than that of politics. He longed to ask after Violet. He longed to make some inquiry respecting Lord Chiltern. And, to tell the truth, he felt painfully curious to hear Lady Laura say something about her own self...And then again, did Lady Laura know anything of what had passed between him and Violet? " Where is your brother?" he said, as he rose from his chair.

"Oswald is in London. He was here not an hour before you came in."

"Where is he staying?"

"At Moroni's...."

This is what I read aloud to my wife while she made dinner tonight. Were they already naming hotels after the LDS angel in the 1860's in England? I have seen the name Moroni on old movie credits before. I figured it was some LDS guy born in the late 19th Century. Maybe not? The book from which I quote is on Kindle from the mid-nineteenth century. Do we think the name Moroni precedes the Book of Mormon? Sorry I do not have a page number or other publishing information. Chapter Thirty-Six, Phineas Finn Makes Progress, Vol. II of the Palliser Novels, Phineas Finn, by Anthony Trollope.

• Like 1
57 minutes ago, 3DOP said:

“Where is he staying?"

"At Moroni's...."

This is what I read aloud to my wife while she made dinner tonight. Were they already naming hotels after the LDS angel in the 1860's in England? I have seen the name Moroni on old movie credits before. I figured it was some LDS guy born in the late 19th Century. Maybe not? The book from which I quote is on Kindle from the mid-nineteenth century. Do we think the name Moroni precedes the Book of Mormon? Sorry I do not have a page number or other publishing information. Chapter Thirty-Six, Phineas Finn Makes Progress, Vol. II of the Palliser Novels, Phineas Finn, by Anthony Trollope.

https://www.houseofnames.com/moroni-family-crest

Edited by Calm
  • Like 1