Seriously No Politics ×

Online Temple Prayer Rolls

JAHS

First Presidency Announces New Online System for Temple Prayer Rolls

"It is a common practice among many people of faith to pray for loved ones when they face illness, afflictions or other challenges. In many faith traditions, this includes praying collectively for those with specific needs. The scriptures record multiple examples when Jesus Christ prayed in groups and admonished those present to also pray.

In temples of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, this practice is observed. Members are invited to place the names of those in need on what is known as the “prayer roll” of the temple. Members then unite their faith in asking Heavenly Father to bless those persons whose names are on the prayer rolls.

The First Presidency has announced that an online system has been created to allow members to send the names of family or friends to the temple, where those names will be placed on the prayer roll. Requests to place a name on the temple prayer rolls can now be made by visiting any temple’s information page and clicking the prayer roll link. Requests can also be made through the “Temples” section of the Member Tools mobile app (beginning August 25, 2020 for Android and September 1, 2020 for iOS). Once the names are entered, they will be sent to that temple (or to the nearest operating temple if that temple is closed)."

I can imagine that site is going to be bombarded by requests.

1572643152_prayerroll.jpg.bfbe25e6e1b8449aacf12bdf0777536b.jpg

Edited by JAHS
23 hours ago, JamesBYoung said:

Wait . . . was there a curse prayer roll?

According to the book Mysteries of Godliness, the Church had a curse book included in the True Order or Prayer for a brief time during the conflict with the U.S. government over polygamy:

""In 1880 Mormon leaders responded to efforts by the U.S. government to suppress plural marriage by convening a special temple prayer circle of general authorities to curse the church's enemies. Among the nearly 400 names listed on the prayer roll were those of Martin Van Buren, Ulysses S. Grant, Rutherford B Hayes, and James Buchannan."

3 hours ago, ttribe said:

According to the book Mysteries of Godliness, the Church had a curse book included in the True Order or Prayer for a brief time during the conflict with the U.S. government over polygamy:

""In 1880 Mormon leaders responded to efforts by the U.S. government to suppress plural marriage by convening a special temple prayer circle of general authorities to curse the church's enemies. Among the nearly 400 names listed on the prayer roll were those of Martin Van Buren, Ulysses S. Grant, Rutherford B Hayes, and James Buchannan."

Curses are not a completely foreign thing thing with the Church.  Sounds a little like the dusting off of the feet type of curse:
15 And in whatsoever place ye shall enter, and they receive you not in my name, ye shall leave a cursing instead of a blessing, by casting off the dust of your feet against them as a testimony, and cleansing your feet by the wayside.
16 And it shall come to pass that whosoever shall lay their hands upon you by violence, ye shall command to be smitten in my name; and, behold, I will smite them according to your words, in mine own due time. (D&C 24: 15-16)

2 hours ago, The Nehor said:

Cursing is still done. It is just not something we speak of much. It is also not our primary mission.

But, in an easy to use online format, complete with automatic upload for use in the Temple?!  That's just genius.

On 8/31/2020 at 1:02 PM, The Nehor said:

Cursing is still done. It is just not something we speak of much. It is also not our primary mission.

Hell, yeah, cursing's still done!  😀

• 1 month later...
On 8/31/2020 at 2:33 PM, ttribe said:

But, in an easy to use online format, complete with automatic upload for use in the Temple?!  That's just genius.

I wonder if God uses an Apple ?   I mean with Adam and Eve and all...  or better yet since the Apple is Satan's fruit that must be what is used for curses.

But then again- God is Bill Gates?   Oh my gosh.   Heavy stuff!

Well at least it will save on paper.

On the other hand, the portion of the temple liturgy in which those folks are prayed for is presently not being done because of covid.

So how is the prayer roll even relevant right now?

Oh my!  ;)

Edited by mfbukowski
felt like it
On 8/25/2020 at 11:11 AM, JAHS said:

I can imagine that site is going to be bombarded by requests.

The way it used to work is that the names were on paper and physically carried into the appropriate room and added to a package on the altar.  They were sorted- I think daily- and after the specified period of time they were removed.

SO if this is the only working temple in a large area, AND they are still printing the names on paper- the package will be HUGE

On the other hand, if the device on the altar is electronic and updated through wifi or whatever, it will be very interesting when the device is placed on the altar.

Anybody know how this actually works?