Reflections on Being Substance Free

poptart

I've been alcohol/substance free the whole year so far, after seeing someone I knew drink himself to die I decided this was the year i'd lay off.  Some reflections on that, besides feeling better than I have in a very long time, it's amazing what a trap alcohol is, yet it's legal.  I think making that choice has made dealing with covid-19 far easier for me.  I live a fairly secluded life, planning on doing longs peak in a few weeks so my hobbies have kept me away from the city and most of its vices.  My job takes me there now and just seeing the end result of alcoholism on patients and younger people (maskless of course) going from bar to bar makes me wonder how many will end up just like people I see in facilities.  Even the legal weed thing is bothering me a bit.  Not like I ever cared that much, if someone is going to take on a vice i prefer cannabis to alcohol, besides having a violent alcoholic father that drug seems to do far, far more damage.  It's strange, observing younger and older people who abuse substances you notice it's like they're in a cloud almost all the time, disconnected from the natural world. 

Will probably have a bit of wine over the holidays but that's it, after really going back to nature this summer and seeing what I have the past week, it's made me decide to cut out yet another horrible vice, with the family history I have it's not worth it.  That and with the USA choosing not to do much as far as rehab goes, well, guess we'll see what society chooses. 

IMG-20200715-100550.jpg

Edited by poptart

Congratulations on being clean and sober. :)

I told a family member that once she gets clean, she will reach a point where even her worst day clean still will be better than even her best day dirty, but I haven't seen her since then, and that was several years ago, so I don't know if she took my advice or not. :huh::unknw:

My brother is a chronic fall off the wagon guy. It's every 3 months and then he's at the bar and in his truck 24/7. He'll go missing too. His wife recently filed a missing persons on him. But he turned up. It's ongoing. I believe the only thing keeping him alive is that he lets time without drinking in. His liver is fried. 

I'm so happy you made the year mark! Congrats, you got this! :)🤗

29 minutes ago, Kenngo1969 said:

Congratulations on being clean and sober. :)

I told a family member that once she gets clean, she will reach a point where even her worst day clean still will be better than even her best day dirty, but I haven't seen her since then, and that was several years ago, so I don't know if she took my advice or not. :huh::unknw:

The payback is never worth it, plus the damage it does to your body is awful.

6 minutes ago, Tacenda said:

My brother is a chronic fall off the wagon guy. It's every 3 months and then he's at the bar and in his truck 24/7. He'll go missing too. His wife recently filed a missing persons on him. But he turned up. It's ongoing. I believe the only thing keeping him alive is that he lets time without drinking in. His liver is fried. 

I'm so happy you made the year mark! Congrats, you got this! :)🤗

I get to work with people like that, they'll go missing then end up at some hosptial.  That or get jumped by protestors/thugs. 

I can't say i'm 100%, still have the ocasional glass with a good steak but even then that's a rarity.  Part of it is laziness, once i'm done doing the grocery shopping I want to go home and do something else, don't feel like going to the liquer store and be around a bunch of people I don't know and probably wouldn't like. 

Funny, bars make me cringe, most of the people seem to be either snotty people who think they're better than everyone else or sad drunks, why waste my time there, pay more for alcohol and risk a DUI, it's so easy to get one now even with a drink.  I've had to pick up friends from the drunk tank, DUI's are so expensive. 

6 hours ago, poptart said:

I've been alcohol/substance free the whole year so far,

Congratulations.  That is excellent news. Having healthy routines is hard, but worth it.  Alcohol being a drug, it is very important to recognize current and potential effects on oneself and the costs.

I am trying to talk myself into going off sugar. I did it for three years when in my twenties and told I was hypoglycemic, but it was actually simple sleep deprivation.  Remarkable how the lack of sleep can affect the body, I even did the full on glucose tolerance test. I was hypoglycemic, just not because of the usual cause and so it eventually went away.  I am perpetually dizzy right now and diet is the next thing in the list to try. Sugar is the most obvious thing. Harder now because of chronic fatigue...too easy to grab the sugar when needing a boost or distraction. And I am not the one shopping so sugar gets in the house way too much.  

Edited by Calm

Congrats!

I noticed some time ago that people do things to help them with problems.  Some people do things that not only make the problem worse, but create new problems as well.  Some people do things that make the problem better and strengthen you as well. There really isn't much of an in between.

For example, if you are struggling with your relationship with your spouse.  You decide to drink to forget your worries for awhile.  This does nothing to help the relationship.  If part of the problem is money you just wasted some.  This hurts your relationship.  It entices you to drink when you have problems in other areas.

Or you could blow off steam by going for a run.  While you run you think on the problem or meditate. This helps you work things out with your spouse.  Then it strengthens your body and makes you healthier.