Covid II: Medical Info and Implications

On 4/15/2021 at 8:53 AM, Calm said:

Perhaps being sued is in their minds...they can’t be sued for not having a product while they can be sued for having an unsafe one.  And unfortunately there will be those who see any risk attached as being unsafe...but this is not like elective cosmetic surgery for fun where there is no harm in no treatment.

They might be worried about PR but you cannot sue for a vaccination reaction in the United States. The government indemnifies against it. There is a federal government program that can provide compensation if a vaccine reaction causes substantial harm. It is doubtful any company would produce vaccines if they were liable. The risk is too high compared to the rewards. Also since various levels of the government require vaccines for various things (travel, school, military service, and the like) the government already arguably has liability.

May vary in other nations but some have similar setups.

Edited by The Nehor
Posted (edited)

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2021/04/16/global-coronavirus-cases-surge-who/

This is approaching the highest rate of infection that we have seen so far during the pandemic,” he said. “Some countries that had previously avoided widespread covid-19 transmission are now seeing steep increases in infections.”...

Some of those infections were due to the spread of new variants, while other surges came as pandemic fatigue set in and authorities moved to relax restrictions. The rise in cases comes as vaccines rollouts continue globally, with some countries hoping to counteract the surge with inoculations and others facing serious vaccine shortages that could make such efforts impossible.

And something a bit more cheerful for The Mummy fans...PSA from Ardeth Bey

Edited by Calm
22 hours ago, rodheadlee said:

My wife got her second shot Friday. No reaction just a sore on arm. The whole immediate family is now vaccinated. My brother isn't but he lives in Washington and he's an anti vaxxer.

"Pleased to meet you, Mr. Anti-Vaxxer.  Please allow me to introduce myself: I am Mr. Anti-Covid-Nineteener!" ;)

On 4/16/2021 at 10:54 AM, bsjkki said:

😣 Argh! Too much work to try to read this — especially on an iPhone screen. 

I’ve become like my Dad, who often complained about the light in the room being too dim, when we all knew it was a matter of his eyesight diminishing as he aged. 

On 4/16/2021 at 6:19 PM, Calm said:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2021/04/16/global-coronavirus-cases-surge-who/

And something a bit more cheerful for The Mummy fans...PSA from Ardeth Bey

"Maintain social distancing, or I will impale you with my sword!"

Ohhhh-key dooooo-key!  :blink: :shok:

:huh: :unknw:

;) :D

P.S.: By the way, nice tats, Dude!  (I don't watch the show; sorry ...)

Edited by Kenngo1969
Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, The Nehor said:

Used to seeing that actor as the head of Starfleet now.

My daughter directed my attention to it and his other Ardeth Bey video while we were conversing about his Starfleet role. 

We had a side trail venting session  about why in the world they didn’t use him instead of Cumberbatch for Dr. Strange  

We are planing on watching the first two Mummy movies as one of the first reunification activities (now we all have vaccinations)...if the youngest aren’t too squeamish. 

Edited by Calm
On 4/19/2021 at 11:13 PM, rodheadlee said:

My wife got her second shot Friday. No reaction just a sore on arm. The whole immediate family is now vaccinated. My brother isn't but he lives in Washington and he's an anti vaxxer.

This gives me hope, getting my second later today. 

Posted (edited)

Here’s hoping this continues and stays down...

https://www.statnews.com/2021/04/23/states-springtime-covid-19-surges-turned-corner/

At the national level, the country’s average daily infection count has also started to come down, from more than 70,000 in the middle of April to closer to 60,000 now. But summarizing the U.S. Covid-19 epidemic from that frame obscures how much variability there is. After experiencing a horrific surge over the winter, California now has one of the lowest rates of infections in the country, while cases in Puerto Rico have increased over the past month.

“We remain in a complicated stage,” Rochelle Walensky, the director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, said at a briefing Monday. “On the one hand, more people in the United States are being vaccinated every single day at an accelerated pace. On the other hand, cases and hospitalizations are increasing in some areas of the country, and cases among young people who have not yet been vaccinated are also increasing.”

I hope once the downward trend is for sure and variants aren’t too threatening (more or less like flu seasons), the government and people will turn our attention to helping countries not safe yet, especially where it is more a resource issue and less a screwed up government one.  (Resources should go to where they help the most people who don’t have access first imo, rather than countries that have resources but are wasting them through bad management or resistance of population to complying).

The progress in the United States stands in stark contrast to most of the rest of the world, which lacks anything close to the vaccine supply this country has. Persistently high cases in Europe and the Americas and huge spikes in Asia have driven global case counts to among the highest levels of the whole pandemic.

Am I going too political?  I don’t want to start arguments, so please let me delete if you feel like my comments need to be challenged. 

Edited by Calm
10 hours ago, bsjkki said:

Yeah, sadly while other nations should do what they can it is almost certainly going to be too little to have much impact. Obviously should still do it for the people who can be helped.

Sadly there was no international plan or agreement on vaccine distribution which predictably meant it became “every nation for itself” so, for the most part, wealthier nations got the vaccine first. I admit for me it is hard to see this entirely as a bad thing as it means I got it but that is probably selfish. :( 

10 minutes ago, The Nehor said:

Yeah, sadly while other nations should do what they can it is almost certainly going to be too little to have much impact. Obviously should still do it for the people who can be helped.

Sadly there was no international plan or agreement on vaccine distribution which predictably meant it became “every nation for itself” so, for the most part, wealthier nations got the vaccine first. I admit for me it is hard to see this entirely as a bad thing as it means I got it but that is probably selfish. :( 

I think we have done such a good job, we now have the resources to help the world. Anyone here who wants a vaccine can get one. But, it’s a bit like the airplane face mask lesson. We first needed to get a handle on it here so we could help everyone else.

3 minutes ago, bsjkki said:

I think we have done such a good job, we now have the resources to help the world. Anyone here who wants a vaccine can get one. But, it’s a bit like the airplane face mask lesson. We first needed to get a handle on it here so we could help everyone else.

I still wish we could have had some kind of international effort to try to equalize distribution a bit but the leadership wasn’t there to make it happen.

I also don’t think we did a very good job but our money got a lot of vaccines quickly which is nice.

50 minutes ago, bsjkki said:

That may differ from state to state.  There are a number in AZ that are still wanting one.

1 hour ago, The Nehor said:

There was and is an international plan,  the WHO founded Covax to distribute the vaccines to poorer nations. So far over 38 million doses have been delivered.   https://www.who.int/news/item/08-04-2021-covax-reaches-over-100-economies-42-days-after-first-international-delivery

But it depends on donations and the wealthy countries had the means to buy far more so, yes, vaccine distribution has been hit and miss world wide. I'm sorry for those still suffering and for those who are losing loved ones still around the world, but I'm happy that the vaccination programme is going so well in the UK and deaths here have declined considerably in part because we were able to buy so much vaccine. It may be selfish but i want to protect my family first.