Covid II: Medical Info and Implications

Posted (edited)

The Guardian on Tuesday estimated that about 1 in 50 people in England now have the virus

I wonder what the rate is for the US. 

he Washington Post said that almost every hospital in the Atlanta area is full, pushing state officials to reopen a field hospital for the third time

A COVID denier expressed regret from his hospital bed. Chuck Stacey, an IT firm owner from Inlet Beach, Florida, had ridiculed doughnut shop workers for wearing face masks to avoid catching coronavirus. Now on oxygen battling coronavirus, Stacey posted a video on Twitterfrom his hospital bed pleading with nonbelievers to wear masks. “I didn’t wear a mask. I should have,” Stacey said. “I may have to be intubated if I get any worse. It’s so hard to breathe.””

Edited by Calm
  • Upvote 1
3 hours ago, pogi said:

I tire of, and am saddened by, new milestones - today we topped 4,000 deaths in a single day in the US as we inch closer to 400,000 total deaths...then half a million...

Will this change anyone’s behavior?  Will reality ever sink in?  Will personal moral responsibility ever be realized? Or, is this just another faceless stat that we are numb to as we drink our morning coffee (or Postum) then go maskless around our loved ones that evening?

On a positive note, I am proud to have helped administer over 1,000 vaccines today to our hard working and well-deserving first responders.

About 10k more deaths and I win a steak dinner. I really did not want to win that bet. :( 

My daughter received her first shot. We think she made it to the top of the list because she is an educator. Her arm was sore and she was tired the first night, but that was it. 

• Upvote 3

The man I already mentioned being in a coma after being on a vent for Covid, has passed.

I think I'll wait to see how this plays out before I take the vaccine.  I'm not over 70 and don't have any health conditions.  So I am not at risk of death from this.  I think I have a less than a 1/2% chance of dying from this and the chances of side effects are too large at this point.  I'd like more studies done prior to taking any of the vaccines.  They rushed this to market too fast.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9111311/Portuguese-health-worker-41-dies-two-days-getting-Pfizer-covid-vaccine.html

https://www.ibtimes.sg/florida-doctor-dies-weeks-after-receiving-pfizer-covid-19-vaccine-wife-blames-side-effects-54728

59 minutes ago, Harry T. Clark said:

I think I'll wait to see how this plays out before I take the vaccine.  I'm not over 70 and don't have any health conditions.  So I am not at risk of death from this.  I think I have a less than a 1/2% chance of dying from this and the chances of side effects are too large at this point.  I'd like more studies done prior to taking any of the vaccines.  They rushed this to market too fast.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9111311/Portuguese-health-worker-41-dies-two-days-getting-Pfizer-covid-vaccine.html

https://www.ibtimes.sg/florida-doctor-dies-weeks-after-receiving-pfizer-covid-19-vaccine-wife-blames-side-effects-54728

There are going to be rare side effects with every vaccine. These stories can't even tie it to the vaccine.

But if I see "jab" one more time......who decided that was a cute way to describe a shot and what meeting did brain dead reporters have that required them all to use it?

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2
2 hours ago, juliann said:

But if I see "jab" one more time......who decided that was a cute way to describe a shot and what meeting did brain dead reporters have that required them all to use it?

It's just the casual British English for vaccine, been around a long time. From their point of view, "flu shot" may sound much worse.

• Upvote 1
4 hours ago, Harry T. Clark said:

So I am not at risk of death from this

If people want to wait until they see if any more vaccine side effects come out that's up to them (and for those with previous medication related reactions to a component in the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines [1] this might be sensible). 

But people also need to stop thinking that death is the only serious side effect. It's not just death you need to worry about when contracting Covid19 (or any virus for that matter).

[1] https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020/12/suspicions-grow-nanoparticles-pfizer-s-covid-19-vaccine-trigger-rare-allergic-reactions

Edited by JustAnAustralian
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1
2 minutes ago, JustAnAustralian said:

If you want to wait until you see if any more vaccine side affects come out that's up to you. But people need to stop thinking that death is the only serious side effect. It's not just death you need to worry about when contracting Covid19 (or any virus for that matter). 

Yes. But the main purpose of the vaccine is for the 99 to look out for the 1. Reduce the transmission rate and save lives. And if you cannot medically tolerate a vaccine, most others taking it will still be enough.

• Upvote 2

Yes, the more people that get vaccinated the better. I wasn't addressing that aspect though. 

Vaccines also reduce the impact on the individual infected. If people think that you either die from COVID or make a perfect recovery, they need to look at what long term serious side effects are actually cropping up from people that get it.

• Upvote 4
3 hours ago, JustAnAustralian said:

But people also need to stop thinking that death is the only serious side effect. It's not just death you need to worry about when contracting Covid19 (or any virus for that matter).

And not just their own.  If you put off getting a vaccine, it means everyone around who has no immunity (had covid or vaccinated) is at risk...and many won’t have a choice to protect themselves from you through a vaccine for several months.

• Upvote 2
6 hours ago, Meadowchik said:

Yes. But the main purpose of the vaccine is for the 99 to look out for the 1. Reduce the transmission rate and save lives. And if you cannot medically tolerate a vaccine, most others taking it will still be enough.

Not just for everyone who can't medically tolerate it too.  I can't seem to get immune to measles even with multiple boosters.  I know others in the same boat.  With the 95% rate on covid that means another 5 in the 100 besides the one need the help from others getting the shot.

• Upvote 4

https://apnews.com/press-release/business-wire/science-business-public-health-products-and-services-coronavirus-pandemic-d6bf385141184700a2bde035c6b47678

Info on a nitrous oxide nasal spray that is looking good for killing the virus once in body, but before it spreads...good description of how the virus gets going.

added:  nitric, not nitrous...sorry

Edited by Calm
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

We have 174 active cases in Ensenada, about 35 per hundred thousand. How does that stack up?

We may be able to get the vaccine here sooner than in California. We'll see.

Just now, juliann said:

I think it's nitric. I got all excited when I read it as nitrous because I get that at the dentist and I have a root canal this week. With the amount of that stuff I suck up I should be immune for weeks if it was the same stuff.

You are right. Going from memory. 

30 minutes ago, juliann said:

I think it's nitric. I got all excited when I read it as nitrous because I get that at the dentist and I have a root canal this week. With the amount of that stuff I suck up I should be immune for weeks if it was the same stuff.

I was excited too!  "I can get high and prevent Covid?…sweet!" It would have had the added, and much welcomed, benefit of mellowing America out a few degrees. 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 2
23 hours ago, Calm said:

https://apnews.com/press-release/business-wire/science-business-public-health-products-and-services-coronavirus-pandemic-d6bf385141184700a2bde035c6b47678

Info on a nitrous oxide nasal spray that is looking good for killing the virus once in body, but before it spreads...good description of how the virus gets going.

Finally!  A fun antidote! :D;)

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, pogi said:

I was excited too!  "I can get high and prevent Covid?…sweet!" It would have had the added, and much welcomed, benefit of mellowing America out a few degrees. 

I feel horrible now getting everyone excited. ;)