Seriously No Politics ×

Covid II: Medical Info and Implications

4 hours ago, The Nehor said:

I don’t think making it seasonal would be wise but I would like it to be socially acceptable for people who have the flu but have to go out in public to wear masks. Doubt it will happen generally though.

I don't care what people think much these days. 

56 minutes ago, bsjkki said:

No mask today at church. Only a very few wearing them. 

I'm in the dwindling Zoomer group but I am told most abide by Pres Nelson's admonition to

Do all you can to bring COVID numbers down in your area

2 hours ago, Chum said:

I'm in the dwindling Zoomer group but I am told most abide by Pres Nelson's admonition to

Our stake sent out a letter saying due to the CDC guidelines, masks were no longer required but to respect those who do or do not wear them. Based on CDC guidance and as of today, my state lifted the mask mandate. The CDC did say you didn't need to wear masks if you are vaccinated. My teen, who is not vaccinated, chose to still wear her mask today to protect herself.  No reason to wear a mask if vaccinated. This is good news and hopefully, the temple reopening will soon follow. I am also in a blue state and we are supposedly 'following the science.'

Letter received yesterday:

"We want to thank each of the members of the Stake as we continue to work through very difficult times and decisions on how we can both be cautious and respectful of those at higher risk.  We also recognize the need to get back to normal with some of our regular sabbath and worship activities.    

With recent announcements by the CDC, and changing XXXXXX County guidelines, effective tomorrow, Sunday, May 16th, we will no longer request that members wear a mask or face covering in any church meetings.  In making this announcement we want to be clear that the decision to wear a mask, or not, is a personal choice.  We are aware that there are members of our stake who continue to be at a higher level of health risk and that for these individuals the continued use of a mask is a prudent personal decision. 

The Gospel of Jesus Christ is a gospel of love, respect, and acceptance.  As a stake presidency, we hope and pray that we may each be understanding and respectful of the individual choices made by others with regards to their personal health and the wearing of a mask.  We continue to make small steps toward a return to normal church worship. There will still be precautions taken and we anticipate future adjustments will be made over the coming weeks and months.

Some of the things that won’t be changing for tomorrow’s meetings include the following:

1.    For the time being, we will continue to provide social distancing in the chapel and cultural hall during our sacrament meetings to the extent possible.  This will help facilitate the administration of the sacrament in a manner that continues to provide comfort to those who may have concerns without detracting from the sacred nature of the ordinance itself.

2.   The Aaronic Priesthood holders who bless and pass the sacrament in our meetings will continue to wear masks given the close proximity and administration of the emblems of the sacrament. 

As we make these adjustments, we ask for your continued patience and understanding as we seek guidance as we move forward.    We recognize that there have been significant health challenges and hardships that have been faced by many of you during the past year and we continue to keep you in our prayers.  We remain optimistic and feel blessed as a stake presidency that we have seen miracles happen during this difficult time.  It is our greatest desire to see the Denver Temple open for normal temple worship.  We have been advised that this will happen when the number of Covid-19 cases in our area decreases. 

We ask for your continued faith and supplication to our loving Heavenly Father that this pandemic be controlled and removed from our lives and that the temple’s doors may once again open wide to welcome all who desire to serve in the House of the Lord.  We invite each of you to assess your individual temple readiness and take those steps needed to be prepared to return to the temple.  On that note, we will be holding temple recommend interviews this Sunday and next Sunday (May 16th and 23rd) starting at 2:00 pm at the stake center.

We love you and express our appreciation for your continued faithfulness.  We look forward to seeing your smiling faces!"

Edited by bsjkki
18 minutes ago, bsjkki said:

Our stake sent out a letter saying due to the CDC guidelines, masks were no longer required but to respect those who do or do not wear them

I haven't been getting memos lately - inc some really important ones. Not sure why.

So it is possible that things have changed during the last couple of weeks and I am unaware.

My mother-in-law and father-in-law were both  just diagnosed with Covid, and both have been fully vaccinated with Pfizer for over a month.  My kids were exposed to them a day before their symptoms appeared and are now on quarantine.   Luckily both are fairly mild cases.  My FIL is 70, diabetic, and has hypertension.  The vaccine very well may have saved his life, but this certainly makes me feel less comfortable with this whole mask-free thing though.

It seems highly unlikely that both of them would become infected after being fully vaccinated, but such is the case.  I don't know if it is some resistant strain that infected them, or if they both happen to fall in the 5%.   

2 hours ago, pogi said:

My mother-in-law and father-in-law were both  just diagnosed with Covid, and both have been fully vaccinated with Pfizer for over a month.  My kids were exposed to them a day before their symptoms appeared and are now on quarantine.   Luckily both are fairly mild cases.  My FIL is 70, diabetic, and has hypertension.  The vaccine very well may have saved his life, but this certainly makes me feel less comfortable with this whole mask-free thing though.

It seems highly unlikely that both of them would become infected after being fully vaccinated, but such is the case.  I don't know if it is some resistant strain that infected them, or if they both happen to fall in the 5%.   

Getting rid of the masks too soon is asinine!

Edited by Tacenda
1 hour ago, pogi said:

I was typing up a response where I was speculating that since they are related it may be a genetic thing. I then realized that I am very tired and that is a very stupid and wrong thing to say.

Unless they are related in which case: my condolences.

2 hours ago, Tacenda said:

You are not the only one who thinks that way.

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2021/05/nurses-united-union-condemns-cdc-guidance-masks.html

The country’s largest union of registered nurses is not happy with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. National Nurses United has condemned the CDC for its new guidance that says vaccinated people don’t have to wear masks in most settings and has called for a reversal. “This newest CDC guidance is not based on science, does not protect public health, and threatens the lives of patients, nurses, and other frontline workers across the country,” National Nurses United Executive Director Bonnie Castillo said in a statement. “Now is not the time to relax protective measures, and we are outraged that the CDC has done just that while we are still in the midst of the deadliest pandemic in a century.”

In addition to hurting nurses and other frontline workers, the new guidance will also disproportionately affect people of color, the union said. “There has been so much inequity in the vaccine rollout and racial inequity in who is a frontline worker put most at risk by this guidance. The impact of the CDC’s guidance update will be felt disproportionately by workers of color and their families and communities,” NNU President Zenei Triunfo-Cortez said.

Edited by Calm
3 hours ago, pogi said:

That's unfortunate, Pogi.  My heart goes out to them, to your wife, and to you.  I hope they pull through without complications.  All the best,

-Ken

So, how low would cases/hospitalizations/deaths need to be (compared to now), and what level of vaccination would there need to be, before masks aren't needed? Just how much longer should this last?

What will be the sign that we can step forward, for those who want us to still be masking into the summer?

Follow the Science wherever it leads. It's a " long and winding road " . 

There is a river near me that travels like a snake. I canoed down it once. I travelled for several hours and ended up almost back where I started. There is a metaphor here somewhere. 

People should study the numbers. We are almost 47 percent vaccinated.  I just looked at Israel's numbers with 63 percent vaccinated. Their numbers have plummeted. Deaths are low. Cases are low. The vaccine is working.

It will be interesting to  see what weather changes in the fall bring. Going into summer, the numbers would naturally be lower. Southern regions where it is hot, would tick up. People are indoors w/ac. Will they want people to get a booster in the fall? Will the seasonal aspects of covid rise up again?

And for those suffering with break through cases, the chances of getting hospitalized are drastically reduced. https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2021/p0428-vaccinated-adults-less-hospitalized.html

image.thumb.png.350811cb206a4345e7efb720c1a48abf.png

To rongo...

Haven’t they said herd immunity will be accomplished once 75% are vaccinated or infected?  I am guessing we need quite a bit more if we aren’t at 50% yet as even if most are mild or asymptomatic, the youth making up many of those can still be carriers and infect others who may get sick.  Add to that the vaccinated who do get infected...we need to have higher numbers imo. Some areas may have attained that. Others not. Iirc, Washington DC is only at 38% vaccinated and has a large vulnerable population as well in dense population areas.  An area like that should be mask mandated imo still. 

Edited by Calm

Make wearing a mask a normal part of being around other people. The appropriate use, storage and cleaning or disposal of masks are essential to make them as effective as possible.

Here are the basics of how to wear a mask:

• Clean your hands before you put your mask on, as well as before and after you take it off, and after you touch it at any time.
  • Make sure it covers both your nose, mouth and chin. 
  • When you take off a mask, store it in a clean plastic bag, and every day either wash it if it’s a fabric mask, or dispose of a medical mask in a trash bin.

https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/advice-for-public/when-and-how-to-use-masks

And?  That is from months ago, so not new guidelines.

These materials are regularly updated based on new scientific findings as the pandemic evolves. Last updated 1 December 2020

19 hours ago, Tacenda said:

All we can do is protect ourselves anyway, and if we do that, the rest is out of our hands.

This thread will be an amazing historical piece!