Seriously No Politics ×

Covid II: Medical Info and Implications

Got my 2 shots, day 1, shot 1, I felt like I was living in a slow motion movie, but that's all. Day 2 no problems.

Shot 2 no effects but a moderately sore shoulder.

Lucked out I guess!

I have had flu so many times, maybe that helped some?

5 hours ago, mfbukowski said:

felt like I was living in a slow motion movie

Great phrase...I am going to borrow it. Where shall I send the royalties? ;) 

There is some political stuff in the above article, so please read it if interested and feel free to post reviews or rebuttals, but let’s keep the commentary minimal unless it is specific to the science please. 

Edited by Calm

[From bsjkki's link] In the case of SARS1, researchers have documented the successive changes in its spike protein as the virus evolved step by step into a dangerous pathogen. After it had gotten from bats into civets, there were six further changes in its spike protein before it became a mild pathogen in people. After a further 14 changes, the virus was much better adapted to humans, and with a further 4 the epidemic took off.

But when you look for the fingerprints of a similar transition in SARS2, a strange surprise awaits. The virus has changed hardly at all, at least until recently. From its very first appearance, it was well adapted to human cells. Researchers led by Alina Chan of the Broad Institute compared SARS2 with late stage SARS1, which by then was well adapted to human cells, and found that the two viruses were similarly well adapted. “By the time SARS-CoV-2 was first detected in late 2019, it was already pre-adapted to human transmission to an extent similar to late epidemic SARS-CoV,” they wrote.

Even those who think lab origin unlikely agree that SARS2 genomes are remarkably uniform. Dr. Baric writes that “early strains identified in Wuhan, China, showed limited genetic diversity, which suggests that the virus may have been introduced from a single source.”

A single source would of course be compatible with lab escape, less so with the massive variation and selection which is evolution’s hallmark way of doing business.

The uniform structure of SARS2 genomes gives no hint of any passage through an intermediate animal host, and no such host has been identified in nature.

Proponents of natural emergence suggest that SARS2 incubated in a yet-to-be found human population before gaining its special properties. Or that it jumped to a host animal outside China.

All these conjectures are possible, but strained. Proponents of lab leak have a simpler explanation. SARS2 was adapted to human cells from the start because it was grown in humanized mice or in lab cultures of human cells, just as described in Dr. Daszak’s grant proposal. Its genome shows little diversity because the hallmark of lab cultures is uniformity.

Edited by Kenngo1969

https://www.cnn.com/2021/05/05/health/young-people-covid-vaccine/index.html

About one-third of young adults between ages 18 and 25 are at risk of severe Covid-19, according to the Journal of Adolescent Health.

And then there is Long Covid....

"I cannot tell you how many people I've taken care of in the ER -- who are in their 20s, 30s and 40s -- who are never sick enough to end up in the ER with Covid but who now have long-lasting respiratory difficulties," Ranney said.

"Or they have persistent loss of taste and smell, and they're losing weight because there's no joy from eating. Or they have that kind of brain fog that we hear about with long Covid," she said.

"I think there's this false sense of both 'I'm immune to it just because I'm young,' and 'Even if I catch it, I'll be fine.' You may be lucky. And that may be true -- that if you catch it, you'll be fine. But there's also a chance that you won't."

Some long-haul symptoms in young people have lasted a year now -- "debilitating symptoms that have come in the aftermath of their coronavirus infection," said Dr. Jonathan Reiner, professor of medicine and surgery at George Washington University. 

"So what I would say to young people is that Covid-19 doesn't have to kill you to wreck your life

Brain fog is crap.  Speaking from years of experience...

And then there is please don’t make us relive 2020...

The longer coronavirus spreads, the more it mutates. And if the mutations are significant, they could lead to new strains that can't be fought off with current vaccines.

And that would throw the country backward in this pandemic.

What has always concerned me the most as the most likely was getting it and having life just a little worse at a time of my life I need to be getting things under control if I don’t want to end up a complete basket case in 15 years or so.  I don’t understand those who think anything less than death is ‘meh’.  It is the little things that wear, sucking the joy from life for me.

https://kjzz.com/news/local/anti-vaccine-utah-group-meets-to-burn-giant-syringe-end-medical-tyranny

My good friend is from Moroni but she got her covid shots. Her husband, also a friend, is against it. It's funny because for years he'd get his yearly flu shot. My daughter is against the covid vaccine and she rarely posts on FB but lately she'll comment on posts about it, most recently she commented on the church expecting the missionaries to get one if they leave the country to serve, and she was negative about that and even works for the church. Not to be political, but both of them are you no what supporters.

This is getting so out of hand here in Utah. Also the group of people that showed up to a school district meeting (Granite) and vocally yelled during the whole thing about their kids having to wear masks to school. 

It all feels very political to me. They've veered so far away from what it means to be safe medically. I'm glad for a couple in the medical field that my husband and I go out with that made it clearer about the flu vaccine and the covid vaccine that convinced me that it was safe, because I've never been a believer in the flu vaccine, but I am now a believer thank goodness. The way I processed the covid shot is thinking about the vaccine for polio. What if we'd taken the stance to be anti on that one? 

ETA: Speaking of my daughter she just posted on this thread on FB, see meme below, just now. She responded: I’m more concerned with vaccinated individuals.  

And another comment right after her has me concerned, here it is: I don't feel safe working next to vaccinated employees because they clearly trust the government.

.May be an image of text that says 'DO YOU FEEL COMFORTABLE WORKING IN THE SAME SPACE WITH UNVACCINATED CO-WORKERS? LIVE WCSC'

Edited by Tacenda
On 5/5/2021 at 4:36 PM, Calm said:

https://www.cnn.com/2021/05/05/health/young-people-covid-vaccine/index.html

About one-third of young adults between ages 18 and 25 are at risk of severe Covid-19, according to the Journal of Adolescent Health.

And then there is Long Covid....

Unfortunately this is an example of an article quoting the headline of another article from a year earlier.

Reading that article, we just learn that a lot of young adults smoke and therefore are more at risk from complications because they smoke

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/13/health/young-adults-smoking-risk-coronavirus-wellness/index.html

I wish reporters weren't so lazy. 

"The researchers found 32% of the total study population were medically vulnerable for severe Covid-19. However, when the group of participants who smoked cigarettes or e-cigarettes were taken out of the analysis, the medically vulnerable percentage decreased by half, to 16%.
"The difference between estimates is driven largely by the sizeable portion of young adults who reported that they engaged in past 30-day smoking (1 in 10) and past 30-day e-cigarette use (1 in 14)," the report said. "By contrast, relatively fewer young adults reported medical conditions identified by the CDC as conferring severe illness risk."

28 minutes ago, MiserereNobis said:

Now if we can somehow get them to also produce the vaccine in their stingers, we've got a win-win situation.

Can you imagine how eager many would be to get vaccinated if the other option was vaccination by bees?...or even just unwanted attention? (Never been stung by a bee yet...)

11 minutes ago, Tacenda said:

I'm worried that more will not want to get their vaccines ever since the latest case in Utah of a young man who suffered with blood clots and was hospitalized since recently getting the covid vaccine.

https://www.abc4.com/news/local-news/draper-teenager-hospitalized-with-blood-clots-after-covid-19-vaccine-shot/

Not very good reporting. Text doesn’t even mention which vaccine it was.

One of the latest rumors is that people who have had the vaccine are shedding dangerous particles that could infect those who didn’t get the shot with the vaccine. Ironically this has led to some people who previously opposed mask wearing to start masking up to protect themselves from the vaccinated. I see no reason to correct them. If this were a TV show this would be the part where the protagonists realize something has disrupted the timestream and they have to go back to fix bizarro world from happening.

With more data coming in the CDC is considering dropping the mask requirement for the vaccinated. The reason it was maintained is that the vaccine studies were understandably focused on whether the vaccine protected the wearer and little was done to study virus transmission from the vaccinated. The available data suggested that being vaccinated made it unlikely that you could transmit the virus but there wasn’t enough data to justify a change. It looks like there may be enough now. I am not sure if this change in recommendations will cover all vaccines or if it will be done one by one. My guess is that they will wait until they can speak to the efficacy of all the vaccines before changing anything to avoid confusion.

11 hours ago, The Nehor said:

One of the latest rumors is that people who have had the vaccine are shedding dangerous particles that could infect those who didn’t get the shot with the vaccine. Ironically this has led to some people who previously opposed mask wearing to start masking up to protect themselves from the vaccinated. I see no reason to correct them. If this were a TV show this would be the part where the protagonists realize something has disrupted the timestream and they have to go back to fix bizarro world from happening.

With more data coming in the CDC is considering dropping the mask requirement for the vaccinated. The reason it was maintained is that the vaccine studies were understandably focused on whether the vaccine protected the wearer and little was done to study virus transmission from the vaccinated. The available data suggested that being vaccinated made it unlikely that you could transmit the virus but there wasn’t enough data to justify a change. It looks like there may be enough now. I am not sure if this change in recommendations will cover all vaccines or if it will be done one by one. My guess is that they will wait until they can speak to the efficacy of all the vaccines before changing anything to avoid confusion.

I get the reasoning, but in some ways I don't. 

It you have the Johnson vaccine there is still 40%? that it wasn't effective for.  That's a lot.  

Also, I would guess those who were vaccinated were more likely to be wearing masks.  If we stop wearing masks then will others get why and keep wearing them?

28 minutes ago, Rain said:

It you have the Johnson vaccine there is still 40%? that it wasn't effective for

There's a sharp reduction in the severity of infections for all vaccines.

The pharmacist who administered my first Moderna shot got the J&J vaccine.

edit: for comparison, seasonal influenza shots tend to range between 40% & 60% effective. The 90 percentile achieved by Moderna and Pfizer is astounding - and a credit to the woman who's decades of work led to mRNA tech.

Edited by Chum
On 5/5/2021 at 7:36 PM, Calm said:

Brain fog is crap.  Speaking from years of experience...

I concur.

What does concur mean again?

edit: I attribute my BF to Epstein Barr which I suspect resulted from Mono (dated a girl recovering @ 16).

My sister attributes her BF to Lyme Disease.  This really sucks because I at least got to enjoy my initial infection.

Edited by Chum
5 hours ago, Rain said:

I get the reasoning, but in some ways I don't. 

It you have the Johnson vaccine there is still 40%? that it wasn't effective for.  That's a lot.  

Also, I would guess those who were vaccinated were more likely to be wearing masks.  If we stop wearing masks then will others get why and keep wearing them?

No, that is why they will probably wait according to what I am reading now. Saying some people should be masked and some should not is probably too complicated for the average American.

Edit: Sorry, that can be misunderstood. “Human” can also stand in there for “American”. I don’t think Americans are dumber than other people speaking generally and not specifically.

Edited by The Nehor

This just in...”fully vaccinated people can stop wearing face masks” and social distancing (in most settings).  

In other words, those who have been wearing masks can now stop and those who haven’t can now masquerade as vaccinated people in grocery stores.

Edited by pogi
25 minutes ago, pogi said:

This just in...”fully vaccinated people can stop wearing face masks” and social distancing (in most settings).  

In other words, those who have been wearing masks can now stop. 

I will use my mask during the winter or flu season in different situations, and not care what the heck people think of me! Also, Spencer Cox announced that students can attend school w/o their mask on the last week of school.

27 minutes ago, pogi said:

In other words, those who have been wearing masks can now stop. 

Does that apply regardless of others present?  Is it only around other fully vaccinated people or does it not matter whether others are fully vaccinated or not?

I have in the past caught colds/flu on a regular basis.  During the last 12 months of mask wearing, (and not working in an office) I haven’t had one!  Like tacenda, I feel I want to keep wearing a mask and staying away from strangers!

Edited by sheilauk
Re flu and mask wearing.
2 minutes ago, sheilauk said:

Does that apply regardless of others present?  Is it only around other fully vaccinated people or does it not matter whether others are fully vaccinated or not?

It doesn’t matter.  Further research has shown that the vaccine is effective enough at reducing infection and transmission.  

31 minutes ago, Tacenda said:

I will use my mask during the winter or flu season in different situations, and not care what the heck people think of me! Also, Spencer Cox announced that students can attend school w/o their mask on the last week of school.

I heard Fauci playing with the idea of making masks a seasonal thing.