Seriously No Politics ×

Covid II: Medical Info and Implications

Fun, informative read about the history of ventilation in disease prevention:

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2021/02/bad-air/618106/

I’m writing this now at my desk, which is in front of a radiator, which is in front of a window. For apartment buildings like mine, built in the early 20th century, this is by design. The radiator runs too hot, so that residents can keep the window open for ventilation. (I am indeed too hot. The window is open.) This quirk of old building design went viral months ago in a collective “Aha!” moment. This thing that never made sense actually makes sense! 

It is hard to know what is best, when it comes to new vaccines? I don’t get out much due to medical issues, and I currently have two medical procedures coming up in the next 10 days, and another at the end of March. Both doctors offices called to insure I have not recently taken the vaccine, and also to insure I will not be taking it in the near future. When they called they gave me no idea how long after the last procedure I could take it. There seems to be a lot of uncertainty, even with the medical profession. 

10 hours ago, Bill “Papa” Lee said:

It is hard to know what is best, when it comes to new vaccines? I don’t get out much due to medical issues, and I currently have two medical procedures coming up in the next 10 days, and another at the end of March. Both doctors offices called to insure I have not recently taken the vaccine, and also to insure I will not be taking it in the near future. When they called they gave me no idea how long after the last procedure I could take it. There seems to be a lot of uncertainty, even with the medical profession. 

It's a new virus so it makes sense there is some uncertainty.  

11 hours ago, Bill “Papa” Lee said:

That is interesting.  I can’t think of any reason why the Covid vaccine (or any vaccine) would be discouraged before or after any medical procedure.  Did they explain why?

11 hours ago, pogi said:

That is interesting.  I can’t think of any reason why the Covid vaccine (or any vaccine) would be discouraged before or after any medical procedure.  Did they explain why?

No, they just called a couple of days ago, to ask “if I had recently received it, or am I planning too in the very near future”. My first procedure is March 2, and second, March 9, and third is late March. I did not ask why, I just told them that I was not scheduled to receive it. 

26 minutes ago, Bill “Papa” Lee said:

No, they just called a couple of days ago, to ask “if I had recently received it, or am I planning too in the very near future”. My first procedure is March 2, and second, March 9, and third is late March. I did not ask why, I just told them that I was not scheduled to receive it. 

I know they didn't want my shringrix vaccination too near my covid vax as well.  Probably not sure of how they will react together.  

7 hours ago, Rain said:

I know they didn't want my shringrix vaccination too near my covid vax as well.  Probably not sure of how they will react together.  

That is true.  It is not just shingrix though, it is contraindicated to have any vaccine within 2 weeks of a Covid vaccine.  I’m not exactly sure why as Covid vaccines are not live vaccines.  I am guessing it is because they have emergency approval only and are still being studied, so they don’t want people confusing side effects from other vaccines for side effects from Covid vaccines when reporting to the CDC.  Maybe the reasoning is similar for other medical procedures. 

2 hours ago, pogi said:

That is true.  It is not just shingrix though, it is contraindicated to have any vaccine within 2 weeks of a Covid vaccine.  I’m not exactly sure why as Covid vaccines are not live vaccines.  I am guessing it is because they have emergency approval only and are still being studied, so they don’t want people confusing side effects from other vaccines for side effects from Covid vaccines when reporting to the CDC.  Maybe the reasoning is similar for other medical procedures. 

They actually told me 3 weeks.  is 2 weeks more standard and they were being cautious with 3?

This documentary indicates how forthcoming China was about the spread of the virus where and when it started:

I am not going to ask you to remove the video...in part because not in the mood to watch it right now and there is info in many articles about China that is helpful to know from a medical viewpoint, but those who watch it, please no political comments on this thread. If it provides new medical info, feel free to post. Something else...can’t guarantee my reaction. :) 

Edited by Calm
On 2/28/2021 at 4:55 AM, Calm said:

I am not going to ask you to remove the video...in part because not in the mood to watch it right now and there is info in many articles about China that is helpful to know from a medical viewpoint, but those who watch it, please no political comments on this thread. If it provides new medical info, feel free to post. Something else...can’t guarantee my reaction. :) 

Looks like YouTube removed it. All I see is that the video is not available.

39 minutes ago, bsjkki said:

That could be really helpful (assuming they could be tested in a timely manner before patients went critical).

I wonder if this happens with other illnesses, if this is some common occurrence newly discovered or something relatively unique to Covid....there must be other illnesses that have similar elevated proteins for those especially vulnerable, at least a few I would guess, given similarities of cause. 

Edited by Calm
6 hours ago, The Nehor said:

Getting first shot of vaccine on Friday. Woohoo!

My daughter’s doctor ordered her to get it even though she doesn’t strictly qualify (her too many roller coaster blood sugar days even if her A1cs are fine plus her recent removal of her thyroid combines into too much vulnerability apparently).  She is my doctor too and I got completely ignored though in her very emphatic instructions, lol...so I guess that means I am not as bad off as I thought. :) 

So how soon depends on where we can find the soonest opening within a 45 minute drive, calling begins in a couple of hours...unless anyone has a suggestion on how better to do it. 

Edited by Calm
4 hours ago, Calm said:

My daughter’s doctor ordered her to get it even though she doesn’t strictly qualify (her too many roller coaster blood sugar days even if her A1cs are fine plus her recent removal of her thyroid combines into too much vulnerability apparently).  She is my doctor too and I got completely ignored though in her very emphatic instructions, lol...so I guess that means I am not as bad off as I thought. :) 

So how soon depends on where we can find the soonest opening within a 45 minute drive, calling begins in a couple of hours...unless anyone has a suggestion on how better to do it. 

Doctor’s “orders” mean nothing here in Oregon. It’s all dictated by the Governor, who doesn’t follow CDC guidelines. I am high risk but have to wait for my age group behind perfectly healthy people. 

I am not 100% sure I am qualified. In my submission I laid out why and said I was not sure if I qualified.

I do wonder if they don’t even look at it and just schedule everyone who submits a request. My instructions are to show up some time between 9 and 5. I guess there is a chance they will look at it and ask me why the hell I am even there but I will take the risk.