Seriously No Politics ×

Covid II: Medical Info and Implications

2 minutes ago, bsjkki said:

Medications with pregnant women are tricky.  When I wanted to change insulin and was getting ready to get pregnant I read the insulin box info.  It said that it shouldn't be given to pregnant women.  So I did some calling and found that no insulin is recommended for pregnant women. They are not allowed to test to see if it is ok so they can not say it is safe/ok for them.  I would assume that is the same for all meds. 

44 minutes ago, Rain said:

Medications with pregnant women are tricky.  When I wanted to change insulin and was getting ready to get pregnant I read the insulin box info.  It said that it shouldn't be given to pregnant women.  So I did some calling and found that no insulin is recommended for pregnant women. They are not allowed to test to see if it is ok so they can not say it is safe/ok for them.  I would assume that is the same for all meds. 

This is true of everything, since they won't test anything on pregnant women. If and when something is considered, it's a "risk/benefit" analysis. 

11 hours ago, The Nehor said:

1. It is not that it is a view different from mine. It is that they are factually incorrect.

2. So you want to have a discussion but you pass the buck and I have to go to Vegas to have it? Nah.

3. “Supposed” experts? They are above criticism driven by bad information. Acting like all points of view are equally valid sounds nice but when one side is using real data and the other is not there can be no discussion. “Here is Dr. Noel Winner here to talk to us about the latest probe sent to Titan. In the interest of balance we also invited King Wingbat, an amateur Polka dancer who believes that the earth is flat, that other planets and stars are a deep state plot, and that winged monkeys have been sent by the CIA to fluoridate his water supply. Gentlemen, thank you both for joining us and we look forward to your debate.”

1. Tell me where I am factually incorrect instead of vaguely inferring that I am while trying to lump me in with some Q cult or something similar.

2. I state that the CCSD admin made a decision about opening the schools and you immediately and unreasonably demand that I support his decision like it was my decision somehow, inferring that I am somehow supporting insurrection if I go against your most favored opinion (remember you called me a threat before you go into denial mode).  Yes, I can see how lock downs could be a factor (is that allowable Calm?) in the doubling of a bad statistic.  I don't think that can be discounted as there was a doubling from pre covid restrictions.  It could also be a main driving factor but more study would be necessary.  I am sure the CCSD admin is acting out of an abundance of caution like those who imposed the lock downs and cancelled in person school did.

3. Nice strawman.  I've cited doctors and scientists, including the WHO, but they are automatically quacks in your scientism world because they push back on the narrative.  I know you won't admit it here but there is a possibility that the mainstream consensus will change and once more is known about this, we might have to confess that certain measures taken were wrong.  I don't know why you cannot admit that possibility.  That is really all I am saying, that perhaps we need to reevaluate our course given how California and Florida have the same results with Florida taking the less restrictive approach.  However, continue your smear.  That seems to be part of the playbook. 

1 hour ago, rongo said:

This is true of everything, since they won't test anything on pregnant women. If and when something is considered, it's a "risk/benefit" analysis. 

Which goes perfectly with what bsjkki quoted of pregnant women shouldn't take the vaccine unless they are in a high risk environment. That could be a really tough choice for pregnant health care providers right now.

"To better understand immune memory of SARS-CoV-2, researchers led by Drs. Daniela Weiskopf, Alessandro Sette, and Shane Crotty from the La Jolla Institute for Immunology analyzed immune cells and antibodies from almost 200 people who had been exposed to SARS-CoV-2 and recovered.

Time since infection ranged from six days after symptom onset to eight months later. More than 40 participants had been recovered for more than six months before the study began. About 50 people provided blood samples at more than one time after infection.

The research was funded in part by NIH’s National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID) and National Cancer Institute (NCI). Results were published on January 6, 2021, in Science.

The researchers found durable immune responses in the majority of people studied. Antibodies against the spike protein of SARS-CoV-2, which the virus uses to get inside cells, were found in 98% of participants one month after symptom onset. As seen in previous studies, the number of antibodies ranged widely between individuals. But, promisingly, their levels remained fairly stable over time, declining only modestly at 6 to 8 months after infection."

https://www.nih.gov/news-events/nih-research-matters/lasting-immunity-found-after-recovery-covid-19?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

I just read an article (and then I lost it and can't remember where it was from so sorry no link) that the post holiday spike never really happened in Utah, and that the percent of positive tests is declining, so that is good news.  They don't really know why, except for maybe increased in testing has lowered the bottom denominator, but still a good sign.  Hopefully it can continue.

The N.Y. Times now says two masks are better than one.  https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/21/well/live/double-masking-covid.html?utm_source=pocket-newtab

Dr. Fauci agrees, going from no masks last year to two for 2021.  https://nypost.com/2021/01/25/fauci-wearing-two-masks-is-better-than-one/

I guess only having one mask didn't prevent the surge that's been going on, and so let's double up?

How about more?  https://dawsoncountyjournal.com/blog/2021/01/27/how-far-will-they-go-experts-now-say-wearing-multiple-masks-is-most-effective-against-covid/ 

Thank goodness the numbers seem to be turning a corner for the better.

On 1/28/2021 at 11:51 AM, Harry T. Clark said:

The N.Y. Times now says two masks are better than one.  https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/21/well/live/double-masking-covid.html?utm_source=pocket-newtab

Dr. Fauci agrees, going from no masks last year to two for 2021.  https://nypost.com/2021/01/25/fauci-wearing-two-masks-is-better-than-one/

I guess only having one mask didn't prevent the surge that's been going on, and so let's double up?

How about more?  https://dawsoncountyjournal.com/blog/2021/01/27/how-far-will-they-go-experts-now-say-wearing-multiple-masks-is-most-effective-against-covid/ 

Thank goodness the numbers seem to be turning a corner for the better.

This comment is not directed at you. When I saw the double-mask headline, I thought "Water is wet, more breaking news at 11." However, members of Congress have been wearing double masks.

19 hours ago, provoman said:

This comment is not directed at you. When I saw the double-mask headline, I thought "Water is wet, more breaking news at 11." However, members of Congress have been wearing double masks.

Some where n-95 masks with a vent and use a regular mask to cover the vent.

Avoid certain painkillers if possible before vaccine to get best response.  Take after symptoms develop, not before to prevent them  

In a study published in the peer-reviewed Journal of Virology, researchers found nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) such as ibuprofen can reduce the production of antibodies and impact other aspects of the immune response to SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19.

Researchers said the study's results raised the possibility that pain relievers such as ibuprofen could alter the immune response to the COVID-19 vaccine.

Dr. Colleen Kelley, an associate professor of medicine at Emory University School of Medicine who was not affiliated with the study, speculates this could be caused by reducing inflammation triggered by the immune system.”

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/medical/pain-relief-medications-like-tylenol-and-advil-are-perfectly-fine-–-but-only-after-covid-19-vaccine-experts-say/ar-BB1dcMwi

Edited by Calm

I get to watch this whole thing go on at a somewhat different level than other folks: my wife is an operating theatre nurse who occasionally works in her hospital's Covid ward of late. Today she came home to report that she had helped tend a man who had been triaged to end-of-life treatment (i.e. comfort only). He could barely speak, the virus having nearly destroyed his lungs by this point. 

She got a vaccination (not sure which one) a few weeks ago, but won't get a second one for awhile, as the UK government has decided to try to give more elderly folks their first dose instead. One of her colleagues, also a nurse, has decided that she isn't going to get the vaccine -- she's apparently some kind of anti-vaxxer, though I don't know if she's against all vaccines, or just this one. Her colleague is a very nice lady, so I hope her intransigence doesn't prove fatal. And as she is 30ish, perhaps she'll survive infection anyway. A couple of youngsters I know in the US (my former home teaching companion, and a former home teachee) have both had Covid and are doing fine. 

My health has always been quite good, and I rarely if ever get ill, but I don't believe I'm invincible, so if they offer the vaccine, I'll go for it.

3 hours ago, pogi said:

Had my second dose of Moderna the other day.  Definitely more reactions with second dose.  Flu-like symptoms on day two with chills, nausea, headache, fatigue, and loss of appetite.  Completely gone and running at 100% on day 3.   

I’m sorry to hear that:( I had all of that with the first shot. Even took a day off from work because I felt so bad. Not looking forward to the second. 

8 hours ago, Calm said:

Avoid certain painkillers if possible before vaccine to get best response.  Take after symptoms develop, not before to prevent them  

In a study published in the peer-reviewed Journal of Virology, researchers found nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) such as ibuprofen can reduce the production of antibodies and impact other aspects of the immune response to SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19.

Researchers said the study's results raised the possibility that pain relievers such as ibuprofen could alter the immune response to the COVID-19 vaccine.

Dr. Colleen Kelley, an associate professor of medicine at Emory University School of Medicine who was not affiliated with the study, speculates this could be caused by reducing inflammation triggered by the immune system.”

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/medical/pain-relief-medications-like-tylenol-and-advil-are-perfectly-fine-–-but-only-after-covid-19-vaccine-experts-say/ar-BB1dcMwi

I have wondered about taking them since covid is hard on the kidneys and so is ibuprofen and tylenol.

1 hour ago, Sleeper Cell said:

Had my second shot (Moderna) on 1/31/2021.  No ill effects (for either shot) other than minor localized swelling at the injection site and a little fatigue a few hours later (a 45 minute nap and back in business).  I ascribe this outcome to my sterling character, superior intellectual abilities, and, of course, to my admirable humility. 

Seriously, I urge everyone to get the vaccine as soon as possible (unless delay is specifically advised by one's doctor).  The benefits clearly outweigh the risks.     

My sister-in-law got the Pfizer vaccine on 2020-12-24 and the booster a week or so ago. No ill effects, except some arm pain that was gone the next day.

My father-in-law is old enough to be in the upcoming round of vaccinations in my province, so fingers-crossed.

ImageImageEo0bNebUYAEI36E?format=png&name=small

On 1/29/2021 at 7:32 AM, LoudmouthMormon said:
Back in August, I signed up for the Moderna phase 3 trial, and got two shots. The other day, I went in and they officially “unblinded” me, confirming that I got the actual vaccine, and not the placebo.  I've been going in for bloodwork, and answering twice-monthly health questionnaires since August.  Up next, several years of more of the same, to confirm how long the vaccine is effective, and provide data for potential long-term effects.  I and tens of thousands of others have been studied since last spring/summer, to see if we grow tumors or die or get improved 5G cell phone reception, or whatever.   From what I can tell, whatever is happening to us vaccine folks, is also happening to the placebo group in roughly equal amounts.   Beware the unrighteous power of the anecdote folks.   Words matter, and folks who cannot or will not understand the difference between "dying with covid" and "dying of covid", simply cannot hope to hold any sort of valid opinion on the risks and dangers of the vaccine.

I’m glad I signed up to be a guinea pig. I’m glad the vaccine is turning out to be effective. I have high hopes for 2021, I believe our vaccinated old people will stop dying this winter, our high-risk and teachers and essential workers will stop catching it this spring, and the whole thing can just fade from our public discourse by the end of summer.

I wonder how many in the control group experienced the side effects of just being alive:

Eo0bNebUYAEI36E.png

On 24/01/2021 at 5:05 PM, Harry T. Clark said:

How do you explain the similarities between Florida and California even though Florida has less restrictions and California is locked down?  https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9176263/amp/Florida-California-took-opposite-approaches-COVID-19-ended-outcome.html

Perhaps we should rethink our response?  Maybe it doesn't matter what we do and the virus will spread regardless?  Is it a crime to consider these questions? 

California has a high rate of large families living in close quarters due to the high housing costs. And many of those lower-income earners cannot work from home. And so exposure + proximity means the whole household is more likely to get it, increasing transmission rates.

https://www.npr.org/2020/08/08/899841137/extended-families-living-together-raise-risks-for-covid-19-transmission

California has about a 25 percent higher rate than Florida of multigenerational households, with median housing prices roughly double Florida's. That means more people in (more likely) smaller spaces.

Edited by Meadowchik