Seriously No Politics ×

Covid II: Medical Info and Implications

2 minutes ago, Rain said:

I know.  It was just thoughts.  My husband worked in France for several months each year in one of the cities we hope to be in and ended up getting medical care while there.  It was so much easier to deal with than here.  

Yeah, reportedly the vaccine will be free here but that is not final yet.

2 hours ago, The Nehor said:

Pfizer pre-sold a lot of their coming inventory. After the initial purchase the US declined to purchase additional doses several months back.  Other nations did buy in early. If I remember right the EU and the UK bought most of the early stock. Expect to see a lot of cases of “vaccine tourism” early next year.

It is possible they will be able to ramp up production and get to unsold vaccines earlier but I doubt it. Ramping up vaccine production is difficult and I would expect delays rather than unexpected early successes.

Logistics are also going to be a nightmare. The vaccine needs a cold environment to be stored in. While most major hospitals can adapt to this requirement rural areas may have problems. I expect we will lose some doses to accidental spoilage.

The Moderna vaccine has easier storage...regular fridge temps and, if I remember correctly, a longer shelf life. That will be better for less developed health systems.

Keep the epipen handy. https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9034479/Allergy-risk-Pfizer-jab-ahead-key-FDA-meeting-tomorrow.html

"Among the 20,000 people who were given the vaccine in Pfizer's global trial, 137 had allergic reactions but so did 111 people who were given the placebo, leading scientists to dismiss it as a potential hazard. 

Four people did get Bell's Palsy after receiving it, a type of facial paralysis, but the trial scientists said it was not necessarily the jab that caused it and was on par with the general rate of Bell's Palsy in the wider population. 

But Britain's Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency (MHRA) is now warning people with a severe allergy to food or medicine not to get it. 

In America, that applies to at least 200,000 people who have food allergies and many more who have drug allergies. "

Wonderful, now we have two reasons to wear masks.  Anyone else enjoying the smell of the great “cough, cough” outdoors of Utah Valley?  Just hit “unhealthy” here in Mapleton. 

weird, Salt lake is cleaner air. Is there a fire in the south or something?

Edited by Calm

I find outbreak studies/contact tracing studies informative and fascinating. 

Shared air. The air currents took large aerosols more than 6 feet to infect people along the current. 

5 minute exposure from 20 feet. 

I would still eat out...indoors. 😏

Edited by bsjkki
5 hours ago, bsjkki said:

I would still eat out...indoors. 😏

The best part about take-out is that there is no waiting to be seated, no waiting to order, no waiting for food, no waiting for ticket, no tip, and best of all, no covid in the air!  

I don't think I'll be going back to dine in once this is all over.  I love take-out style too much. 

The only place I like to eat indoors is Tucano's (mmm...) or other buffets, but I won't be going to a buffet any time soon.  

Edited by pogi
4 hours ago, pogi said:

The best part about take-out is that there is no waiting to be seated, no waiting to order, no waiting for food, no waiting for ticket, no tip, and best of all, no covid in the air!  

I don't think I'll be going back to dine in once this is all over.  I love take-out style too much. 

The only place I like to eat indoors is Tucano's (mmm...) or other buffets, but I won't be going to a buffet any time soon.  

I need to get in the habit of setting up home as a nicer eating place rather than treating takeout like a cafeteria where we all dispersed to whatever we want.  I do like the nicer restaurant settings, where there is a lot of noise though...not really worth it.   I also like the darker ambience...need to work on that. We painted our walls a too bright white and it has changed the sense of comfort in the dining area. Guess need to go to candlelight. 

Interesting setting and the freshness of the food...my two reasons for wanting to eat out still. Some doesn’t travel well...though we have found a place where cream cheese wontons are still nice and crisp at home, which has been my biggest disappointment. 

EDH

One-third of ICUs are almost completely full.Latest figures from the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services show that more than 90 percent of all ICU beds in one-third of all U.S. hospitals were occupied and at least 200 hospitals reached full capacity the week of December 1.

The Los Angeles Times reported that intensive care units had no more room in some California counties. Ahmad Kamal, MD, of Santa Clara County, told the LA Times, “It is the worst we have seen, and it’s continuing to worsen.”

A roundup in The New York Times on Wednesdayshowed that hospitals in El Paso had only 13 available beds the week of December 1. ICUs in Fargo, North Dakota, were down to three beds and Albuquerque had zero. The Santa Fe New Mexican revealed that New Mexico hospitals are so overwhelmed that they may begin rationing care based on how likely a patient is to survive.

Figures from the COVID Tracking Project indicated that hospitalizations due to COVID-19 in the United States topped 104,000 on Thursday, reaching another new high. The Atlantic declaredthat the United States has “passed the hospital breaking point.”

NPR has created a tool that shows how full hospitals are across the country.

Elective surgeries have been postponed in at least 116 hospitals. Becker’s Healthcare provides a list of hospitals across the nation that are suspending elective procedures because they are overwhelmed with COVID-19 patients. At latest count, more than 116 facilities made the list.

EDH

DA materials confirmed a second vaccine is effective and safe. The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) posted data online Tuesdayconfirming that the coronavirus vaccine developed by Moderna and the National Institutes of Health had an efficacy rate of 94.1 percent in a trial of 30,000 people. An independent advisory committee is scheduled to meet Thursday to review research on the vaccine and the FDA is expected to give emergency clearance by Friday. Distribution of about six million doses of the Moderna vaccine could begin next week

EDH

Most Americans can expect vaccination by end of February. U.S. Health and Human Services Secretary Alex Azar told CNBC on Tuesday that most Americans can expect to get the vaccine as soon as late February. He noted that he doesn’t know how many Americans have been vaccinated against the coronavirus so far, but that those figures should arrive in the coming days.

11 hours ago, bsjkki said:

https://www.ama-assn.org/system/files/2020-10/nov20-handbook-addendum.pdf

pg 16-18

Stage 1.

*removed political statement. 

9F73D2E0-CCCE-415D-A5D5-477CD7C2E32C.jpeg

2FA1A6E4-2847-4856-A1B8-2A9D2020F192.jpeg

91D6413F-62C6-44A0-B330-948D69D6A453.jpeg

https://www.politifact.com/factchecks/2020/dec/16/rush-limbaugh/no-american-medical-association-didnt-rescind-stat/

Nothing about the drug’s status changed. There was a proposal to rescind the previous guidance. Your post has the proposal. The proposal was rejected.

Edited by The Nehor
5 hours ago, bsjkki said:

That makes it worse not better. 

If it was denied for political reasons, yes. If they found the science for its benefit lacking, that would be better imo. 

From The Published Reporter:

https://www.publishedreporter.com/2020/12/11/american-medical-association-rescinds-previous-statement-against-prescription-of-hydroxychloroquine-to-covid-19-patients/

UPDATE/CORRECTION DECEMBER 14 2020: This article was corrected. A previous version of this story did not include the meeting results for either ADOPTION or NON-ADOPTION of the resolution. This RESOLUTION was included with many others presented at a Special Meeting of the AMA in November 2020. RESOLUTIONS are generated by AMA delegates/delegations, the AMA Board of Trustees, AMA Councils and AMA Sections. The RESOLUTION must be accepted and this resolution was not accepted. The RESOLUTION was reaffirmed. See the disclosure on this page referencing items to be considered by the House.

Looking at the AMA document, the resolution was submitted by “Georgia”. Haven’t found out if that refers to the state AMA Council or something else. 

These are what the resolution gives as studies supporting the use...but the last one doesn’t even appear to be a study, but more of a conspiracy claim. 

13. Schwartz RA, Suskind RH DTH-9999-e13785 Azithromycin and COVID‐19Prompt Early Use at First Signs of this Infection in Adults and Children an Approach Worthy of Consideration. DTH-999-e13785 doi 10.1111/dth.13785
14. Meo SA, Klonoff DC, Akram J. Efficacy of chloroquine and hydroxychloroquine in the treatment of COVID-19 European Review for Medical and Pharmacological Sciences 2020; 24: 4539-4547
15. US ‘frontline’ doctors’ website exposes ‘criminal’ campaign by tech giants, govt agencies to block COVID med file:///C:/Users/JGoldman/Documents/Corona%20Virus/critique%20of%20HCQ/US%20%E2%80%98frontline%E2%80%99%20doct ors%E2%80%99%20website%20exposes%20%E2%80%98criminal%E2%80%99%20campaign%20by%20tech%20giants,%20govt %20agencies%20to%20block%20COVID%20med%20_%20Blogs%20_%20Lifesitenews.html

The third one refers to the group that includes Stella Immanuel

https://m.facebook.com/LifeSiteNews/posts/us-frontline-doctors-website-exposes-criminal-campaign-by-tech-giants-govt-agenc/10159051554028203/

https://www.politifact.com/factchecks/2020/jul/28/stella-immanuel/dont-fall-video-hydroxychloroquine-not-covid-19-cu/

Edited by Calm
9 minutes ago, Calm said:

If it was denied for political reasons, yes. If they found the science for its benefit lacking, that would be better imo. 

I can't find anyone credible claiming there is a ton of suppressed evidence.

Here is a piece on the most comprehensive American study I know of on the drug: https://www.nih.gov/news-events/news-releases/hydroxychloroquine-does-not-benefit-adults-hospitalized-covid-19

There are much better treatments that are showing a definitive impact.

33 minutes ago, The Nehor said:

Here is a piece on the most comprehensive American study I know of on the drug: https://www.nih.gov/news-events/news-releases/hydroxychloroquine-does-not-benefit-adults-hospitalized-covid-19

What are those? Stage one treatments are vital for preventing hospitalization. Regeneron is stage one. What others do average people have access to? Regeneron has a limited supply.

if you’re 70 or high risk and get Covid, what will the doctors do for you immediately? Are we still waiting for people to get really sick before we treat.

1 hour ago, Calm said:

From The Published Reporter:

https://www.publishedreporter.com/2020/12/11/american-medical-association-rescinds-previous-statement-against-prescription-of-hydroxychloroquine-to-covid-19-patients/

Looking at the AMA document, the resolution was submitted by “Georgia”. Haven’t found out if that refers to the state AMA Council or something else. 

These are what the resolution gives as studies supporting the use...but the last one doesn’t even appear to be a study, but more of a conspiracy claim. 

The third one refers to the group that includes Stella Immanuel

https://m.facebook.com/LifeSiteNews/posts/us-frontline-doctors-website-exposes-criminal-campaign-by-tech-giants-govt-agenc/10159051554028203/

https://www.politifact.com/factchecks/2020/jul/28/stella-immanuel/dont-fall-video-hydroxychloroquine-not-covid-19-cu/

So, that debunks all the other studies?

42 minutes ago, The Nehor said:

The NIH study was of hospitalized patients not stage one care.

it’s like giving tamiflu after the flu is widespread and causing complications. Not the advised treatment protocol.