Seriously No Politics ×

Covid II: Medical Info and Implications

44 minutes ago, Ahab said:

Good to hear.  I had not heard that before.

I will provide some documentation. I had posted this article earlier but I don't think I quoted this section.

"Evidence of the importance of masks, in particular, has been mounting, not only because they trap outgoing particles from escaping, which protects others, but also because they block larger incoming particles from getting into a person’s airways, protecting the mask wearer themselves. And even if some viral particles do get through, the viral dose will still be much smaller, so the person will be less likely to get seriously ill.

A clear example of the benefits of masks is a recent outbreak in South Korea, in which one woman at a Starbucks infected 27 other customers — whom officials assume were not wearing masks because they were eating and drinking — but none of the employees, all of whom were masked the entire time.

Aerosol transmission does increase the importance of one additional protective step, which is proper ventilation and air filtration. Airflow, either introducing new air into a room or filtering the existing air, can disperse and dilute any infectious aerosol particles, reducing a person’s potential exposure. Being outdoors is the ultimate ventilation, and for months public health officials have recommended that people socialize outside rather than in. However, with winter and colder temperatures coming, indoor air filtration and adherence to masks will become even more important.

“The important thing on the public side is air handling, reducing the number of people in enclosed indoor spaces, and wearing a mask,” says Bhadelia. “[Aerosol transmission] explains why indoor settings are so much more important and contribute so much more to new infections than outdoor settings do.”

Armed with this knowledge, think about how you can make fall and winter safer, both physically and mentally. Instead of buying another can of Lysol, maybe invest in an air purifier, more comfortable two-ply cloth masks, or even an outdoor fire pit or space heater. Be prepared to meet friends outside in colder temperatures or insist upon masks, even in your home. We’ve still got a long way to go before we can declare victory over the novel coronavirus, but at least we know more now than we did six months ago. And you don’t have to sanitize your apples anymore."

https://elemental.medium.com/the-most-likely-way-youll-get-infected-with-covid-19-30430384e5a5

21 minutes ago, rodheadlee said:

So the vaccine is going to be held up by the FDA. Is this legitimate or a political move? Russia has a vaccine China probably has a vaccine but we don't have a vaccine.

The lack of confidence leading to only about 1/3 of Americans being willing to take the vaccine needed to be addressed. Reassuring no shortcuts in quality or safety to increase people taking it, especially those in high risk situations, would be taken makes medical and sociological sense. 
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2020/09/04/covid-19-two-thirds-us-wont-take-vaccine-right-away-poll-shows/5696982002/

A month previous, before claims were made that there would be a vaccine available before election, it was 1/3 who wouldn’t take it...still not great, but 2/3 vaccinated quickly is to better than 1/3.

https://news.gallup.com/poll/317018/one-three-americans-not-covid-vaccine.aspx

Info on new standards:

https://endpts.com/report-says-fda-to-issue-stricter-guidance-5-severe-patients-covid-19/

Russia has a vaccine China probably has a vaccine but we don't have a vaccine

If someone is okay with more people dying or having long term damage and therefore removed safety protocols, this can greatly speed up vaccine production. 

Back when they were doing a push job on the polio vaccine, one of my neighbour’s’ first grade class were chosen as test subjects for one vaccine version. 5 years later, there were only 4 kids still alive from that class and he was the only one still walking. He has had significant health issues all his life as a result of being a test subject before they understood or implemented sufficient safety protocols to ensure first the ‘cure’ wasn’t dangerous. 

Edited by Calm

There is concern the data for the Russian vaccine may be problematic (the authors are careful not to allege misconduct, they want access to the data after all):

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-020-02619-4

The open letter was posted on a blog run by molecular biologist Enrico Bucci, who heads a science-integrity company called Resis in Samone, Italy. Bucci says that he noticed irregularities in the Lancet paper soon after it was published. For example, in one figure in which the authors report their measurements of markers of a type of immune cell in the blood, many members of two groups of nine volunteers tested with different formulations of the vaccine seem to have the same levels. “The odds of this arising by coincidence are extremely small,” Bucci says.

China:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-cnbg-vaccines-idINKCN26D0TO

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-53917315

https://www.google.com/amp/s/fortune.com/2020/09/18/sinovac-test-covid-vaccine-children-safety/amp/

This week the Chinese vaccine maker Sinovac announced it will launch a Phase I and II clinical trial later this month to test its vaccine in over 500 children ages 3 to 17 in China. The trial will test both the safety of the vaccine and also examine whether it produces an immune response among the participants.

Experts say the need to conduct COVID-19 vaccine safety trials specifically among children is clear, but that holding the trials before a vaccine has been proved safe and effective among adults represents uncharted and ethically fraught territory....

But Sinovac has also shown a willingness to eschew some normal safety procedures in deploying its vaccine.

The company is one of several Chinese vaccine makers involved in the country’s controversial emergency-use program, which has inoculated hundreds of thousands of Chinese citizens, including frontline medical workers and other select population groups, even though Phase III clinical trials—which are designed to prove a vaccine is effective as well as safe—have not been completed. In early September, Dr. Yin Weidong, chief executive of Sinovac, told Reuters that the company had already injected as many as 3,000 Sinovac employees and their families who are not part of the clinical trials.

Edited by Calm

From my Everyday Health app report:

A study jointly conducted by researchers at the University of North Carolina in Greensboro, Indiana University, the University of Washington, and Davidson College has found that reopening colleges may have added about 3,000 new cases a day in the United States in recent weeks, according to Kaiser Health News. In the research (which has not yet been peer-reviewed), scientists tracked cellphone data and matched it to reopening schedules at 1,400 schools, along with county infection rates. Analyzing data July 15 to September 13, the researchers observed that greater disease transmission rates were connected to schools that attempted in-person instruction.

Fun, clever, gimmicky?

Walmart is testing drone delivery of home-based COVID kits. Walmart this week revealed that it is piloting drone delivery of at-home COVID-19 self-collection kits. The company says that drone delivery could provide an innovative new way to provide additional, contactless testing. Partnered with Quest Diagnostics and DroneUp, a nationwide drone services provider, Walmart launched trial deliveries of collection kits in North Las Vegas Tuesday and intends to do the same in Cheektowaga, New York, in early October.

8 hours ago, smac97 said:

Who said these things?

I want to avoid bring politics in so I will just call him D Trump. No, that is much too obvious. We’ll call him Donald T.

8 hours ago, smac97 said:

That is certainly a fair point.  But I don't think I'm doing that.

It is also like insisting that the boy who cried wolf should nevertheless be believed this time.  And so we go along with it, only to realize that the flock was imperiled by the "unintended consequences" of taking precautions against the wolf.

Except to continue the analogy the boy came and said he saw what he thought was a wolf and suggest we take anti-wolf precautions. Then the boy got the other boys to go with them and determined that while it was related to a wolf it was clearly a different species and so the anti-thing that is like a wolf preparations are fine tuned as more about the quasi-wolf are discovered. The advice to use masks came out before we were 100% certain they would help. That advice was used in Hong Kong and Vietnam and China and other early outbreaks because it was LIKELY it would help. If we insisted on certainty before taking any action we would never have shut down anything or recommended any precautions. I am saying that doubting the people trying to help because they gave their best guess and it turned out to be suboptimal is not fair or wise. The recommendations were always subject to being updated.

I suppose you can fry some leaders for following the advice of the experts but do you really want that as a precedent. Do we want it to be known that we will remove leaders who follow the advice of experts? That seems a recipe for disaster.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/study-shows-adults-with-more-exposure-to-children-may-decrease-their-risks-of-adult-coronavirus-infections?_amp=true&__twitter_impression=true

I need to look at the details of this study but they say they accounted for age, weight, health risks. 

“Scottish healthcare workers and determined that those living with young children ages 0-11 were significantly less likely to contract coronavirus and possibly were also less likely to be hospitalized. Moreover, it found that the risk of hospitalization with COVID-19 was lower in adults who shared a house with one child, yet "lower still in those with two or more children."

Edited by bsjkki
40 minutes ago, The Nehor said:

This has been under consideration by Amazon and others for regular deliveries. It is a good reason to pilot (no pun intended) the concept and tying it to a specific delivery that is ideally contactless seems smart.

I have this image of the grumpy old neighbour with a baseball bat or shotgun...

And what will bird lovers think?  How many drones would be in the air in a given area at a time?

Stalkers hiding in the crowd....

Will the drones have to keep to certain airways to cut down on annoyance and danger factor? (Dropping packages onto moving cars or onto roadways in front of cars could cause accidents.)

Seems like a lot of new laws will be required with the new use of this technology. 

7 minutes ago, bsjkki said:

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/study-shows-adults-with-more-exposure-to-children-may-decrease-their-risks-of-adult-coronavirus-infections?_amp=true&__twitter_impression=true

I need to look at the details of this study but they say they accounted for age, weight, health risks. 

“Scottish healthcare workers and determined that those living with young children ages 0-11 were significantly less likely to contract coronavirus and possibly were also less likely to be hospitalized. Moreover, it found that the risk of hospitalization with COVID-19 was lower in adults who shared a house with one child, yet "lower still in those with two or more children."

Time to invite grandkids over for an extended visit....haven’t seen them for weeks. Would be nice if this can be demonstrated to be accurate and extends to visits. 

Sent this on to my sibling the fifth grade teacher who is often second guessing the choice to in-person teach. 

Edited by Calm
6 minutes ago, bsjkki said:

I guess I need to go back to sub'g again in the schools, this might just give me the push I needed! 🙂

8 hours ago, Calm said:

And what will bird lovers think?  How many drones would be in the air in a given area at a time?

Will the drones have to keep to certain airways to cut down on annoyance and danger factor? (Dropping packages onto moving cars or onto roadways in front of cars could cause accidents.)

Seems like a lot of new laws will be required with the new use of this technology. 

microdrones_2x.png

Not so good if it get substantiated. 

The coronavirus may be mutating to become more transmissible. A large new genetic investigation published on medRxiv on Wednesday suggests that the coronavirus may have mutated and become more contagious. After sequencing the genomes of 5,085 SARS-CoV-2 strains causing two COVID-19 disease waves in metropolitan Houston, scientists discovered that strains from a larger outbreak in June were different from those in a smaller outbreak in March. The June samples had a specific mutation on the virus’s surface that had previously been found in cases in Europe. Infected people with the June strain carried a bigger viral load, but researchers noted that patient outcomes were no worse for those with the mutated strain. “The findings will help us to understand the origin, composition, and trajectory of future infection waves,” wrote the study authors

On 9/23/2020 at 10:55 PM, Calm said:

It'd be nice to have test strips that we could get in the mail or store and dip into our saliva.

On 9/23/2020 at 8:00 PM, rodheadlee said:

So the vaccine is going to be held up by the FDA. Is this legitimate or a political move? Russia has a vaccine China probably has a vaccine but we don't have a vaccine.

Would you trust a vaccine out of Russia or China that was rushed through without adequate testing?  
The FDA is not “holding up” the vaccine as much as they are vowing not to take any short-cuts due to political pressure to have it done before the election.

23 minutes ago, pogi said:

Would you trust a vaccine out of Russia or China that was rushed through without adequate testing?  
The FDA is not “holding up” the vaccine as much as they are vowing not to take any short-cuts due to political pressure to have it done before the election.

I was hoping we would have it before the holidays for family gatherings. China probably had a vaccine before they let this one loose on the world.

27 minutes ago, pogi said:

Yes, we don't want to take down even more human lives.

China probably had a vaccine before they let this one loose on the world.

If so, they are risking destroying their recent accomplishments by tanking the world economy as well as using up way too many of their own resources to roleplay a lack of a vaccine.  The country has too much to deal with already with its changing economic system with its rural population flocking to cities, etc.  They need stability in imports, etc to help them deal with their inner turmoil, not uncertainty.

Edited by Calm