Seriously No Politics ×

Covid II: Medical Info and Implications

The NIH does not recommend convalescent plasma at this point. On August 23, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) issued emergency use authorization for investigational convalescent plasma in the treatment of COVID-19 in hospitalized patients. Blood plasma taken from patients who have recovered from the coronavirus may benefit people with the disease, though the evidence remains inconclusive.

On September 1, the COVID-19 Treatment Guidelines Panel, part of the National Institutes of Health (NIH), issued a statement saying that it had reviewed all of the available research on convalescent plasma and found no solid evidence to recommend using it to treat hospitalized patients with the virus.

“There are currently no data from well-controlled, adequately powered randomized clinical trials that demonstrate the efficacy and safety of convalescent plasma for the treatment of COVID-19,” wrote the panel.

This is unfortunate. 

Edited by Calm
28 minutes ago, Tacenda said:

Already posted (Nehor?), but good to repost as it is imo an important article and it is easy to miss an article if there isn't a lot of discussion about it.

On 8/17/2020 at 2:54 PM, Calm said:

Topic is Covid 19, medical news including what we know and don't know.  This includes emotional and mental health, physical and psychological and social...but NOT political.  Thread is meant to be both resource for easy researching (links found for you by others) as well as discussions to help us frame our ideas and put the info together.

I believe its best to go where the science directs us.  For a while, I have believed that being Vitamin D sufficient was important at helping reducing severe complications of COVID.  There are reasons why minority groups have been hit severely hard with COVID that go beyond just economic and essential job.  Darker skinned people make less Vitamin D in the sun and add poorer diet, have a higher rate of Vitamin D deficiency.    My wife and I were both Vitamin D deficient when we tested a few years ago.  My wife has been taking it regularly since and she has noticed less respiratory infections.  I have been off and on over this time but have taken it regularly with other vitamins since this started. 

Last week my wife showed me a super computer study where they came up with results of what COVID virus is doing to people and why its causing the symptoms that we see.  The results from the super computer is that the virus causes a Bradykinin storm in the body and some of the treatments already available to counter this storm.

https://elemental.medium.com/a-supercomputer-analyzed-covid-19-and-an-interesting-new-theory-has-emerged-31cb8eba9d63

Among the things they mentioned was Vitamin D

"Jacobson’s team also suggests vitamin D as a potentially useful Covid-19 drug. The vitamin is involved in the RAS system and could prove helpful by reducing levels of another compound, known as REN. Again, this could stop potentially deadly bradykinin storms from forming. The researchers note that vitamin D has already been shown to help those with Covid-19. The vitamin is readily available over the counter, and around 20% of the population is deficient. If indeed the vitamin proves effective at reducing the severity of bradykinin storms, it could be an easy, relatively safe way to reduce the severity of the virus."

It emphasized to me again to make sure I am not Vitamin D deficient.  By itself it is not mean I will not get a severe case if I do get COVID but anything to reduce the odds is important.

What starts the bradykinin storm?  The article says

"The renin–angiotensin system (RAS) controls many aspects of the circulatory system, including the body’s levels of a chemical called bradykinin, which normally helps to regulate blood pressure. According to the team’s analysis, when the virus tweaks the RAS, it causes the body’s mechanisms for regulating bradykinin to go haywire. Bradykinin receptors are resensitized, and the body also stops effectively breaking down bradykinin. (ACE normally degrades bradykinin, but when the virus downregulates it, it can’t do this as effectively.)

The end result, the researchers say, is to release a bradykinin storm — a massive, runaway buildup of bradykinin in the body. According to the bradykinin hypothesis, it’s this storm that is ultimately responsible for many of Covid-19’s deadly effects. Jacobson’s team says in their paper that “the pathology of Covid-19 is likely the result of Bradykinin Storms rather than cytokine storms,” which had been previously identified in Covid-19 patients, but that “the two may be intricately linked.” Other papers had previously identified bradykinin storms as a possible cause of Covid-19’s pathologies."

Read the article. Very interesting.  I see the article has been posted previously.  Great.  Take your Vitamin D.  Truly what do you have to lose on this.  Just don't take too much.  Taking too much does not help but can be toxic over time.

Edited by carbon dioxide

Another VitAmin D study.

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.09.04.20188268v1

RESULTS We observe a highly significant correlation between prevalence of vitamin D deficiency and Covid-19 incidence, and between female-to-male ratio for severe vitamin D deficiency and female-to-male ratio for Covid-19 incidence in localities (P<0.001). In the matched cohort, we found a significant association between low vitamin D levels and the risk of Covid-19, with the highest risk observed for severe vitamin D deficiency. 

Edited by bsjkki

These numbers from the CDC re causes of death in Utah since the beginning of February:

Deaths from all causes.                12151 

All pneumonia                                     694

Pneumonia (without Covid 19).        549

All Covid 19.                                         409

3 hours ago, let’s roll said:

These numbers from the CDC re causes of death in Utah since the beginning of February:

Don’t worry. I am sure if you just continue as is you can bring that number up.

Public health lessons learned from biases in coronavirus mortality overestimation

...“information from the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID) concerning the novel coronavirus, severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2), and coronavirus-disease 2019 (COVID-19).3 Based on the data available at the time, Congress was informed that the estimated mortality rate for the coronavirus was ten-times higher than for seasonal influenza, which helped launch a campaign of social distancing, organizational and business lockdowns, and shelter-in-place orders.
Previous to the Congressional hearing, a less severe estimation of coronavirus mortality appeared in a February 28, 2020 editorial released by NIAID and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Published online in the New England Journal of Medicine (NEJM.org), the editorial stated:
“...the overall clinical consequences of Covid-19 may ultimately be more akin to those of a severe seasonal influenza (which has a case fatality rate of approximately 0.1%).”4”

https://www.cambridge.org/core/services/aop-cambridge-core/content/view/7ACD87D8FD2237285EB667BB28DCC6E9/S1935789320002980a.pdf/public_health_lessons_learned_from_biases_in_coronavirus_mortality_overestimation.pdf

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/sturgis-motorcycle-rally-in-south-dakota-in-august-linked-to-more-than-250000-coronavirus-cases-study-finds-2020-09-08?fbclid=IwAR3JJ--D8fokHV9t4tW4LT8sBHjxr42GIyXF-m9BlcROm8JgyuWPu4N9Y2Y

I don't know how accurate the claims are, but this is the first article I remember reading that had a dollar cost attached to it, an amount in this case that I find very hard to believe and would like to see the justification.

event will cost an estimated $12.2 billion in health-care costs,

It does make me think this could be a different approach, start putting up realistic estimates of costs of Covid care post event to economic benefits of holding the event, including businesses in the community, travel, etc.  For people worried about the economy, this might at the least encourage mask wearing and social distancing to drop costs.

Edited by Calm
On 9/7/2020 at 10:27 AM, let’s roll said:

Good for Utah!  That says we are doing something right.  Other states are not as fortunate.

https://apnews.com/82885b32aeeae6c2a0a84cadf55ced90

A woman who received an experimental coronavirus vaccine developed severe neurological symptoms that prompted a pause in testing, a spokesman for drugmaker AstraZeneca said Thursday.

The study participant in late-stage testing reported symptoms consistent with transverse myelitis, a rare inflammation of the spinal cord, said company spokesman Matthew Kent. 

“We don’t know if it is (transverse myelitis),” Kent said. “More tests are being done now as part of the follow-up.”

On Tuesday, AstraZeneca said its “standard review process triggered a pause to vaccination to allow review of safety data.” It did not provide any details other than to say a single participant had an “unexplained illness.” The vaccine was initially developed by Oxford University after the coronavirus pandemic began this year.

https://apnews.com/9a59c0c1c7003add09651dc05fe49196

Children who caught the coronavirus at day cares and a day camp spread it to their relatives, according to a new report that underscores that kids can bring the germ home and infect others.

Scientists already know children can spread the virus. But the study published Friday by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention “definitively indicates — in a way that previous studies have struggled to do — the potential for transmission to family members,” said William Hanage, a Harvard University infectious diseases researcher.

From my Everyday Health update:

A British company has launched a 20-second saliva test. Reuters reported Thursday that the tech firm iAbra has introduced a 20-second saliva COVID-19 test which has shown 99.8 percent sensitivity and 96.7 percent specificity. Trials of the rapid test have been taking place at London’s Heathrow Airport.

A new study shows that virus can attack the brain. Research published in bioRxiv this week revealed that coronavirus goes beyond being just a respiratory illness and can damage multiple organ systems, including the central nervous system. Although brain infection from coronavirus is most likely rare, it is possible and can be deadly, according to the study authors. The investigation, which has not yet been peer reviewed, used three independent approaches to probe the capacity of SARS-CoV-2 to infect the brain. One analysis looked a brain tissue from a dead person who had coronavirus, another examined infected mice, and a third approach studied brain cells in the lab. Scientists concluded that these analyses provided “evidence for the neuroinvasive capacity of SARS-CoV2, and an unexpected consequence of direct infection of neurons by SARS-CoV2

Type O blood may offer virus protection, a study says. From analyzing the DNA of more than one million people, researchers at the consumer genetics company 23andMe have concluded that type O blood may lower the risk of developing COVID-19, according to a study published this month in medRxiv. The data in the study, which has yet to be peer reviewed, suggested “that blood group O is protective in contrast to non-O blood groups.” From a survey of more than a million people, 23andMe found that 15,434 said they had tested positive for the virus and 1,131 indicated that the they had been hospitalized.

Food is highly unlikely to spread the virus, research has found. The International Commission on Microbiological Specifications for Foods (ICMSF) has concluded that food is unlikely to be a source of possible COVID-19 transmission. "To date, there has not been any evidence that food, food packaging, or food handling is a source or important transmission route for SARS-CoV-2 resulting in COVID-19," the organization said in a statement. The ICMSF went on to write that the virus is primarily transmitted person-to-person over close distances via droplets or aerosols from the nose or mouth.

Scientists are studying why obesity may be tied to severe symptoms. A story from the Associated Press this week reviewed how researchers are investigating why obese individuals seem to be more likely to have more devastating symptoms from COVID-19 compared with others. The article highlights a study of 5,200 individuals published in the British Medical Journalfinding that the chances of hospitalization rose for people with higher BMIs. Scientists say that obesity may cause chronic inflammation and extra strain on the body, which may make it harder to fight off the virus

Public skepticism on a vaccine is growing. A survey of 2,493 registered voters by CBS News and YouGov has found that just 21 percent of voters nationwide now say they would get a vaccine as soon as possible if one became available at no cost, down from 32 percent in late July. Two-thirds indicated that they wouldn’t trust a vaccine that was released before the end of the year, believing it would be rushed through without adequate testing. Published this week, the survey also shows that trust in public officials has dropped. Trust in the CDC has declined most dramatically from 86 percent in March to 54 percent today. Among poll respondents, trust stands at 55 percent for governors (down from 69 percent), 40 percent for Trump (down from 46 percent), and 35 percent for the media (down from 45 percent).

Biopharma leaders have pledged not to release a vaccine prematurely. The CEOs at nine pharmaceutical giants want the public to know that they will not release any vaccine that hasn’t met rigorous safety and efficacy standards. A press release published Tuesday shows that leaders at AstraZeneca, BioNTech, GlaxoSmithKline, Johnson & Johnson, Merck, Moderna, Novavax, Pfizer, and Sanofi signed a pledge stating: “We, the undersigned biopharmaceutical companies, want to make clear our ongoing commitment to developing and testing potential vaccines for COVID-19 in accordance with high ethical standards and sound scientific principles.”

On 9/4/2020 at 12:24 PM, bsjkki said:

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0960076020302764?via%3Dihub

"Administration of calcifediol or 25-hydroxyvitamin D to hospitalized COVID-19 patients significantly reduced their need for Intensive Care United admission."

On 9/6/2020 at 11:58 AM, carbon dioxide said:

I believe its best to go where the science directs us.  For a while, I have believed that being Vitamin D sufficient was important at helping reducing severe complications of COVID.  There are reasons why minority groups have been hit severely hard with COVID that go beyond just economic and essential job.  Darker skinned people make less Vitamin D in the sun and add poorer diet, have a higher rate of Vitamin D deficiency.    My wife and I were both Vitamin D deficient when we tested a few years ago.  My wife has been taking it regularly since and she has noticed less respiratory infections.  I have been off and on over this time but have taken it regularly with other vitamins since this started. 

Last week my wife showed me a super computer study where they came up with results of what COVID virus is doing to people and why its causing the symptoms that we see.  The results from the super computer is that the virus causes a Bradykinin storm in the body and some of the treatments already available to counter this storm.

https://elemental.medium.com/a-supercomputer-analyzed-covid-19-and-an-interesting-new-theory-has-emerged-31cb8eba9d63

Among the things they mentioned was Vitamin D

"Jacobson’s team also suggests vitamin D as a potentially useful Covid-19 drug. The vitamin is involved in the RAS system and could prove helpful by reducing levels of another compound, known as REN. Again, this could stop potentially deadly bradykinin storms from forming. The researchers note that vitamin D has already been shown to help those with Covid-19. The vitamin is readily available over the counter, and around 20% of the population is deficient. If indeed the vitamin proves effective at reducing the severity of bradykinin storms, it could be an easy, relatively safe way to reduce the severity of the virus."

It emphasized to me again to make sure I am not Vitamin D deficient.  By itself it is not mean I will not get a severe case if I do get COVID but anything to reduce the odds is important.

What starts the bradykinin storm?  The article says

"The renin–angiotensin system (RAS) controls many aspects of the circulatory system, including the body’s levels of a chemical called bradykinin, which normally helps to regulate blood pressure. According to the team’s analysis, when the virus tweaks the RAS, it causes the body’s mechanisms for regulating bradykinin to go haywire. Bradykinin receptors are resensitized, and the body also stops effectively breaking down bradykinin. (ACE normally degrades bradykinin, but when the virus downregulates it, it can’t do this as effectively.)

The end result, the researchers say, is to release a bradykinin storm — a massive, runaway buildup of bradykinin in the body. According to the bradykinin hypothesis, it’s this storm that is ultimately responsible for many of Covid-19’s deadly effects. Jacobson’s team says in their paper that “the pathology of Covid-19 is likely the result of Bradykinin Storms rather than cytokine storms,” which had been previously identified in Covid-19 patients, but that “the two may be intricately linked.” Other papers had previously identified bradykinin storms as a possible cause of Covid-19’s pathologies."

Read the article. Very interesting.  I see the article has been posted previously.  Great.  Take your Vitamin D.  Truly what do you have to lose on this.  Just don't take too much.  Taking too much does not help but can be toxic over time.

That is one thing I haven't really looked at, but have made sure to get out in the sunlight more just in case.  No cost and little trouble for something that may or may not turn out so totally worth it.

11 minutes ago, pogi said:

Face palm.

I did click on one and saw this disclaimer at least:

“As I'm sure you know, this mask will not prevent the exchange of airborne pathogens.“

Why would anyone buy this?

So they can be compliant with places like Walmart but still be rebelling against “the man”.

On 9/9/2020 at 12:58 AM, Calm said:

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/sturgis-motorcycle-rally-in-south-dakota-in-august-linked-to-more-than-250000-coronavirus-cases-study-finds-2020-09-08?fbclid=IwAR3JJ--D8fokHV9t4tW4LT8sBHjxr42GIyXF-m9BlcROm8JgyuWPu4N9Y2Y

I don't know how accurate the claims are, but this is the first article I remember reading that had a dollar cost attached to it, an amount in this case that I find very hard to believe and would like to see the justification.

It does make me think this could be a different approach, start putting up realistic estimates of costs of Covid care post event to economic benefits of holding the event, including businesses in the community, travel, etc.  For people worried about the economy, this might at the least encourage mask wearing and social distancing to drop costs.

Another view and critique of the highly publicized Sturgis study.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/danielcassady/2020/09/12/did-the-sturgis-rally-cause-250000-coronavirus-cases-heres-why-experts-are-skeptical/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

“The study, published by the IZA Institute of Labor Economics, claimed to have compared anonymized cell phone data from in and around the Sturgis area during the 10-day rally, which saw over 500,000 attendees, and compared that data to the rate of new Covid-19 cases in the county that hosted the rally, as well as counties that sent the most attendees, showing an increase in both over the following weeks.

But a recent report published by Jennifer Dowd, deputy director of the Leverhulme Centre for Demographic Science at the University of Oxford, says the 250,000 estimate is at best an “absolute worst-case scenario number,” and the actual number of infections may only be in the hundreds, with contact tracing efforts showing just over 250 cases in 12 states linked to the rally since Sept. 2, according to NPR.”

Edited by bsjkki
1 hour ago, bsjkki said:

Another view and critique of the highly publicized Sturgis study.

Good, that one seemed inflated, not matching other similar events and therefore more likely to be dismissed rather than used. 

Possible good news...

https://www.pittwire.pitt.edu/news/pitt-scientists-discover-tiny-antibody-component-highly-effective-preventing-and-treating-sars

University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine scientists have isolated the smallest biological molecule to date that completely and specifically neutralizes the SARS-CoV-2 virus, which is the cause of COVID-19. This antibody component, which is 10 times smaller than a full-sized antibody, has been used to construct a drug—known as Ab8—for potential use as a therapeutic and prophylactic against SARS-CoV-2.

The researchers report today in the journal Cell that Ab8 is highly effective in preventing and treating SARS-CoV-2 infection in mice and hamsters. Its tiny size not only increases its potential for diffusion in tissues to better neutralize the virus, but also makes it possible to administer the drug by alternative routes, including inhalation. Importantly, it does not bind to human cells—a good sign that it won’t have negative side-effects in people.

From my Med app...

Pfizer proposed an expansion of vaccine trial. On Saturday, Pfizer and BioNTech announced that they intend to expand their vaccine testing from 30,000 to about 44,000 with the goal of recruiting a more diverse population, underscoring the higher impact COVID-19 on communities of color. The company also seeks to include adolescents as young as 16 years old and people with chronic, stable HIV (human immunodeficiency virus), hepatitis C, or hepatitis B infection, as well as provide additional safety and efficacy data

Is anyone else seeing ads to join Covid studies?  I am seeing a number of them, they seem heavily targeted to minorities and women...at least the ones popping up for me. 

Get ready to "hunker down" this fall, warned Dr. Fauci. Although cases have recently been trending down in the United States, Anthony Fauci, MD, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID), cautioned Thursday that the pandemic will likely get worse in the autumn, according to CNN. “We need to hunker down and get through this fall and winter because it’s not going to be easy,” he said. “I keep looking at that curve and I get more depressed about the fact that we never really get down to the baseline that I’d like.”

Edited by Calm