Seriously No Politics ×

Sister Missionaries Stabbed

JAHS

I worry all the time for the missionaries. I wonder if that's a reason the church made a change with clothing, so that they wouldn't become a target. Not saying the clothing made a difference in this stabbing incident.  

All those women on the board that served missions, that's got to be scary to go tracting etc. 

Edited by Tacenda

Updated information on the attack:

Teen confesses to stabbing 2 missionaries inside apartment

" A teen was charged in connection with a stabbing attack of two missionaries Sunday after he confessed to the crime, according to Harris County Sheriff’s deputies.

Jeffrey Ferman, 17, made his first court appearance Monday morning where probable cause was determined and Ferman was charged with two counts of burglary with the intent to commit a felony.

Ferman’s mugshot shows scratches on his face, which prosecutors said came from the two stabbing victims when they tried to fight back. In court, it was disclosed that Ferman allegedly confessed to breaking into his neighbors’ apartment in the 7100 block of Smiling Woods Lane in northwest Harris County.

Prosecutors said the Honduras citizen confessed to deputies that he stabbed two women in their sleep Sunday morning after he entered the apartment through their patio door. The victims are missionaries and his neighbor, deputies said.

Ferman had been drinking right before the stabbing, prosecutors said.

“He stated he opened the unlocked door, walked into the kitchen, grabbed a knife, walked into the victim’s bedroom where they were sleeping and started stabbing them with the knife,” prosecutors said.

A crime scene investigator taking pictures of the property spotted Ferman trying to leave out the front gate and arrested him. Ferman was wearing bloody jeans and socks. Deputies said he had left his shoes and COVID-19 mask inside the women’s’ apartment.

“He said he was not sure why he did it but was really sorry and apologized stating he’s a bad person in this case and knew they were good girls,” prosecutors added.

Ferman is in Harris County jail on a $120,000 bond for the two charges. He is due back in court Tuesday at 9 a.m.

A spokesperson for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints said the women are “OK” and they are keeping the women in their prayers."

1 hour ago, Calm said:

17 and drinking and that uninhibited him enough to stab two young women slightly older than himself....I wonder if he has mental issues.

Too bad they forgot to lock the door, youth!

Edited by Tacenda

Testing, testing, testing. This is a test of the Emergency Broadcast System.  This is only a test.  [Beep]  This station is conducting an test of the Emergency Broadcast System.  The broadcasters of your area, in voluntary cooperation with federal, state, and local authorities, have developed this system to keep you informed in the event of an emergency.  If this had been an actual emergency, the attention signal you just heard would have been followed by official news, information, or instructions.  This concludes this test of the emergency broadcast system.

P.S.: Weird.  I haven't been able to post to this topic before now without getting a ....

403.  Forbidden, Forbidden, Forbidden!  Das ist absolutlich verboten!!!

Error.

Edited by Kenngo1969

The closest I ever came to having any physical confrontation on my mission is when my companion and I, having arrived at or near our next appointment, were getting out of the car to go into the house (it might've been an apartment, I don't remember), and he said, "Get back in the car."  I was confused.  "Just get back int the car," he said.  Okay.  You're senior.  I'm junior.  That makes you the boss, and it makes me the boss-ee.   I think some gang members had taken exception to our being in their territory.  To this day, I'm not sure if my companion actually heard something, such as a threat, or if he just had one of those "I've-got-a-bad-feeling-about-this" moments.

And so, we left.

Now, as for these poor, unfortunate Sisters, I would never say that anyone should seek out or should anticipate (in the sense of being eager for it) being on the receiving end of such treatment for the Kingdom's sake.  This is something that can only be said in retrospect rather than prospectively, and I'm not saying that the Sisters were targeted because they are missionaries, and I would never want to trivialize what happened to these Sisters, but these scriptures do come to mind:

As Paul wrote the Romans:

Romans 5:3-5 KJV

3 ... [W]e glory in tribulations also: knowing that tribulation worketh patience;

4 And patience, experience; and experience, hope:

5 And hope maketh not ashamed; because the love of God is shed abroad in our hearts by the Holy Ghost which is given unto us.

And as the Savior Himself said:

Matthew 5:11-12 KJV

11 Blessed are ye, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely, for my sake.

12 Rejoice, and be exceeding glad: for great is your reward in heaven: for so persecuted they the prophets which were before you.

Best wishes to these Sister missionaries and to their family, friends, associates, and loved ones.

Edited by Kenngo1969

I had assumed that Missionaries often lived in safer neighborhoods, i've lived in poor areas and have never seen them.  Either way, this is awful, hope the missionaries recover and they throw the guy who did this in the nastiest general population Texas has. 

When a foreign individual commits this type of crime, part of the punishment should also be that he becomes persona non grata forever. 

The last couple of years I was in the Middle East both Qatar and the UAE took pictures of your retinas (eyes) to ensure that when they sent someone home, they could no longer get back in the country regardless of the passport or name change, etc. They also finger printed each individual with a VISA to work in the country. I don't understand why we don't have a similar system. It would save the courts, ICE, etc. a lot of time. Find someone illegal, boom, you are back on a military plane back to your country; no questions, no delays, no exceptions. For criminals, it just makes it that more difficult to enter and stay in the US.

On 8/19/2020 at 1:27 PM, poptart said:

I had assumed that Missionaries often lived in safer neighborhoods, i've lived in poor areas and have never seen them.  Either way, this is awful, hope the missionaries recover and they throw the guy who did this in the nastiest general population Texas has. 

Meh. :huh::unknw:  I certainly don't support assault and battery (and possibly worse) being perpetrated on missionaries of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.  And, of course, any wrong done isn't mine to forgive, since it was not done to me.  And Matthew 18:6 does come to mind.  That said, this is one of those situations that calls for being "as wise as serpents, and as harmless as doves" (see Matthew 10:16). 

Do I think this gentleman (using that term very loosely, only because, apparently, he happens to be of the male gender) has a debt to pay to society?  Yes, and he certainly should pay it.  How much of a debt depends, at least in part, on whether this is an isolated incident or whether it is part of a trend, on whether there is any extrinsic evidence that proves what his intentions were (or on whether he might allocute to those intentions), on whether he is Cuckoo-for-Cocoa-Puffs :crazy:, on whether, as the Jets sang in West Side Story, he "had the childhood every child ought to get," and so on.  In terms of his debt to society and to his victims, he should "render unto Caesar that which is Caesar's."  As to the fate of his immortal soul?  I'll leave the question of "render[ing] unto God that which is God's" between him and God (see Matthew 22:15-22).

Edited by Kenngo1969
20 hours ago, Storm Rider said:

When a foreign individual commits this type of crime, part of the punishment should also be that he becomes persona non grata forever. 

The last couple of years I was in the Middle East both Qatar and the UAE took pictures of your retinas (eyes) to ensure that when they sent someone home, they could no longer get back in the country regardless of the passport or name change, etc. They also finger printed each individual with a VISA to work in the country. I don't understand why we don't have a similar system. It would save the courts, ICE, etc. a lot of time. Find someone illegal, boom, you are back on a military plane back to your country; no questions, no delays, no exceptions. For criminals, it just makes it that more difficult to enter and stay in the US.

It would "save the courts [and] ICE" a lot of time (at least on the back end, in terms of deciding who should get in, or who should get back into, the country), but consider the volume of immigration into Qatar and the the UAE versus that into the United States.  And of course, such measures are effective only in proportion to the ratio at which people submit to them.  Perhaps ICE can scan the retinas of legal (or purportedly-legal) immigrants.  I'm not sure what the proportion of legal immigrants to that of illegal immigrants is in the United States, but I suspect it's quite small.  Scanning one's retina today doesn't prevent one from attempting to re-enter the United States illegally tomorrow.

On 8/19/2020 at 1:35 PM, Storm Rider said:

They do take fingerprints and retinal scans at ICE when you come across the international border legally. But, the US has a 2000 mile border with the third world which is quite porous. If somebody wants to come in illegally there are ways to do it. 

On 8/19/2020 at 2:35 PM, Storm Rider said:

Those authoritarian nations really do have some good ideas. Maybe we should look at copying some of their other policies in other areas.