Seriously No Politics ×

The Land of Nephi, Chocó Province Colombia.

10 hours ago, rodheadlee said:

Do you have a link to some of the LiDAR information for this area? I never said they didn't communicate, I said they traveled by boat. I would certainly be interested in seeing some LiDAR shots.

No I don’t.

6 hours ago, mfbukowski said:

Did you turn yellow? ;)

Of course not. That’s why I got the shot...so I wouldn’t! :)

Edited by Bernard Gui
9 hours ago, Bernard Gui said:

I had to get a yellow fever vaccination before my mission in Central America. My mom drove me to the Air Force hospital in Albuquerque, the only place I could get it...about 100 miles from our home. When we got back about 3 in the afternoon, I said I was tired and wanted to take a nap. I woke up around 5pm and asked when was dinner. Oh. That was 5pm the next day!

No kidding?  I have never seen that personally, but I know that extreme tiredness/sleepiness can be a side effect of this vaccine - a pretty scary one.  Did you have any headache, neck stiffness, or nausea/vomiting with it?  There is a good chance you had some brain swelling (encephalitis).  I would have advised your parents to take you to the hospital immediately.  I am glad everything turned out well.  I would have been very nervous for you if I was the nurse. 

6 hours ago, mfbukowski said:

Did you turn yellow? ;)

Believe it or not, that actually happens rarely.  It is a live vaccine and can cause viscerotropic disease, where it mimics the wild virus.  That's actually where the disease gets its name - the virus can attack the liver, causing jaundice.  If you turn yellow, there is only a 40% chance you will survive it. 

3 hours ago, mrmarklin said:

The only ruins In Darien are those of the original Spanish settlement. 

Not according to wiki, though unfortunate citation given. So not saying it has to be true, just you need to document your claim.  

There are a large number of sites with impressive platform mounds, plazas, paved roads, stone sculpture, and artifacts made from jade, gold, and ceramic materials.[cita

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darién_Gap

Edited by Calm
15 hours ago, pogi said:

No kidding?  I have never seen that personally, but I know that extreme tiredness/sleepiness can be a side effect of this vaccine - a pretty scary one.  Did you have any headache, neck stiffness, or nausea/vomiting with it?  There is a good chance you had some brain swelling (encephalitis).  I would have advised your parents to take you to the hospital immediately.  I am glad everything turned out well.  I would have been very nervous for you if I was the nurse. 

Believe it or not, that actually happens rarely.  It is a live vaccine and can cause viscerotropic disease, where it mimics the wild virus.  That's actually where the disease gets its name - the virus can attack the liver, causing jaundice.  If you turn yellow, there is only a 40% chance you will survive it. 

No side effects other than 26 hours of sleep that I can remember.

Edited by Bernard Gui
On 8/17/2020 at 7:07 PM, rodheadlee said:

Do you have a link to some of the LiDAR information for this area? I never said they didn't communicate, I said they traveled by boat. I would certainly be interested in seeing some LiDAR shots.

And the large and spacious building, which thy father saw, is vain imaginations and the pride of the children of men. And a great and a terrible gulf divideth them; yea, even the word of the justice of the Eternal God, and the Messiah who is the Lamb of God, of whom the Holy Ghost beareth record, from the beginning of the world until this time, and from this time henceforth and forever.
19 And while the angel spake these words, I beheld and saw that the seed of my brethren did contend against my seed, according to the word of the angel; and because of the pride of my seed, and the temptations of the devil, I beheld that the seed of my brethren did overpower the people of my seed.
20 And it came to pass that I beheld, and saw the people of the seed of my brethren that they had overcome my seed; and they went forth in multitudes upon the face of the land.

8 minutes ago, Jracforr said:

And the large and spacious building, which thy father saw, is vain imaginations and the pride of the children of men. And a great and a terrible gulf divideth them; yea, even the word of the justice of the Eternal God, and the Messiah who is the Lamb of God, of whom the Holy Ghost beareth record, from the beginning of the world until this time, and from this time henceforth and forever.
19 And while the angel spake these words, I beheld and saw that the seed of my brethren did contend against my seed, according to the word of the angel; and because of the pride of my seed, and the temptations of the devil, I beheld that the seed of my brethren did overpower the people of my seed.
20 And it came to pass that I beheld, and saw the people of the seed of my brethren that they had overcome my seed; and they went forth in multitudes upon the face of the land.

How does this relate to the discussion?

1 hour ago, mrmarklin said:

This area is so nasty, only a few hundred people live in it.   Hard to buy any significant civilization was ever there. 

I don't think it is any more nasty than any other dense jungle region in central/south America that was occupied and developed by ancient and modern people alike. There are nearly 2,000 people living there today.  I don't think it is undeveloped because it is too nasty.  There are more political and environmental reasons which keep it from development, which didn't exist back then.  As I pointed out, even with the limited archaeology done in the area, they have discovered impressive ancient plazas and paved roads, etc.  It seems to have been more developed anciently than it is today. 

Edited by pogi
On 8/19/2020 at 1:27 PM, ksfisher said:

How does this relate to the discussion?

This was a spiritual insight given to the Nephites, warning that Pride and Vanity separates man from the Justice and Protection of God . A lesson they failed to heed , resulting in their destruction at Cumorah.

2 hours ago, Jracforr said:

This was a spiritual insight given to the Nephites, warning that Pride and Vanity separates man from the Justice and Protection of God . A lesson they failed to heed , resulting in their destruction at Cumorah.

It just seemed out of the blue.

On 8/16/2020 at 3:49 PM, Jracforr said:

The Atrato River flows North through the Province , entering the sea at the Darien Gulf. This River is referred to as the River Sidon in the Book of Mormon,and it’s Delta , probably accommodated the City Moroni, which sank into the sea after an Earthquake. The Provincial Capital Quibdo, might have been built over the ruins of the City Manti, which was said to be located near the source of the River Sidon.

Alma 22:29 
29 And also there were many Lamanites on the east by the seashore, whither the Nephites had driven them. And thus the Nephites were nearly surrounded by the Lamanites; nevertheless the Nephites had taken possession of all the northern parts of the land bordering on the wilderness, at the head of the river Sidon, from the east to the west, round about on the wilderness side; on the north, even until they came to the land which they called Bountiful

Alma 22:29 indicated that the head of the River Sidon was to the North, thereby eliminating the Atrato River and Colombia’s Chocó Province as the Land of Nephi. This may suggest that Panama’s Darien Province, would be the “rough equivalent” of the Land of Nephi, with the Tuira River being the River Sidon, and it main Tributary the Chucunaque,  regarded as the head of that River. The Land Nephi would therefore begin at the Panama’s Southern Border and adjoin the Land Zarahemla at the Estuary of the Tuira River.

• 1 month later...
On 8/16/2020 at 8:08 PM, mrmarklin said:

You realize that the Isthmus of Panama is impassible even to this day, right?

Actually, I crossed it several times via "los caminos verdes"; trails cut by the natives and utilized by them and smugglers. Beyond that, the geography of the jungle is altered now and again by floods, mud slides and hurricanes. It is impossible to say what a particular region looked like some 1500 years ago.