' but the Son of Man Hath Not Where to Lay His Head' the Priesthood, With a 'Similar Metaphor'

Matthew 8:19-20 reads, “A certain Scribe came, and said unto him, Master, I will follow thee whithersoever thou goest. And Jesus said unto him, The foxes have holes, and the birds of the air have nests; but the Son of man hath not where to lay his head”.  

Earlier this evening my wife asked me to locate the link for tomorrow’s “Virtual Stake Conference”. I realized that I had accidentally stumbled across the link last week, where members can sign in to receive a reminder for tomorrow morning in Facebook. Anyway my wife wanted me to sign her up on her IPad, so I began to search for the link. However I could not locate in our Ward website, nor could I remember where I had located (rather stumbled across) it. The same was true of my neighbor, and HT, or Ministering Teacher, so he had to speak to his wife, who was able to direct us to the “link”. It was in the Relief Society Group, the Young Men, Young Women Group, in both Ward and Stake. It was not in the “Priesthood (Elder’s Quorum) Group, because there is no such thing. So (metaphorically speaking) “we too” as the Priesthood have no such Groups or website, (places to lay our heads, so too speak) we get “emails”, on rare occasion. So again “The Priesthood“ has no assigned meeting rooms, or locations with any Wards or Chapels. We meet whenever, and wherever we can in whatever location we can find. In fact in buildings where there is more than one Ward, we could and do end up almost anywhere. I remember in one building that was also the Stake Center, we would use partitions located in one end or the other of the “cultural hall”, or one stage behind the large curtain, where we had to speak very low. This was due to the fact that the other Ward (in many cases) were having Sacrament Meeting on the other side of that curtain, on the other end of the cultural hall. 

I am not complaining, nor do I wish it was any other way, I am pointing out the “odd conversation” with my wife, and them with my HT, who at first were suggesting that, “this was not so”. Slowly my wife began to concede that this was in fact accurate, as we finally located the link in the before mentioned locations. After some serious thought, my wife asked, “how do you guys get anything done”, she goes on to tell me that in “Relief Society”, we plan and plan until we are exhausted”. “We call, we text, we follow up, and then we follow up on the follow up’s”. All I could think to say or do, was to think of and quote the “Scripture listed above”. 

Are things any different in other areas of the world where the Church operates. I have lived and travel to many States and Countries, and everywhere I go it seems the same. This is based on first hand experience, and first hand comments, by friends all living in the places I have traveled. Personally, I am OK with all of this, because in my mind, which is a scary place, I believe it helps to keep us humble. It helps to keep our pride in check, by putting all other groups comfort, before our own.

Anyway, “Thoughts”?   

• Like 2

It is a very strange appropriation of the words of Jesus to stretch into an alleged similarity with an organization's internal disconnect. 

In the passage, Jesus was pointing to the very high cost of following Him. He warned the prospect disciple; "look, I have nothing. I'm an itinerant teacher with no home, status or possessions...are you sure you want to follow me. It may cost you more than you are willing to pay..."

It escaped me how you made the linkage. 

Some would say it has to do with many generations of hunter gathering that certain traits have emerged along gender lines. Group gathering and maintaining a central base exercises and entrenches a different skill set than sneaking around quietly after roaming herds and small game would. 

On 8/15/2020 at 8:31 PM, Bill “Papa” Lee said:

So again “The Priesthood“ has no assigned meeting rooms, or locations with any Wards or Chapels.

My understanding is in the past, all the men and young men met together and then they broke into smaller groups. So they needed a larger room for a short time, then several smaller rooms. Women didn’t do that, whatever women weren’t teaching were in one room for Relief Society, so it makes sense that they had an assigned room specially for them as it would need to be a larger room. This room was used for other classes when not Relief Society, so it isn’t as if they had exclusive rights.

FYI, Having RS always in one spot makes it easy to look for Moms who are not teachers, btw, thus it was my experience that it was mothers more often pulled out of classes to take care of needy kids than fathers, so it isn’t necessary a disadvantage to be the flexible ones.  At the end of Primary, if kids were just let out, they would usually congregate around the RS room until the door was opened and then push into the room to demand Mom’s attention, so fathers also had longer to visit with each other typically. 

Depending on the ward, there may be rooms built for YM and YW, but most wards I have been in just used a room that fit the size of the groups. There wasn’t usually a room that was YW’s for each ward meeting there. Which made sense because sometimes the group was large and other times not. 

The only other two always same room no matter the ward using the building were the Primary Sharing Time and the Nursery. This makes sense due to needing to have smaller chairs set up all day as well as classrooms close by with small chairs, etc. Nursery needs a decent size and closets for toys. Nursery was also the a scouting room in one chapel I was in, in another it was in the RS room. 

To me, it is mostly logistics. The older Priesthood classes are the most flexible and therefore probably last assigned. 

Edited by Calm
3 hours ago, Calm said:

My understanding is in the past, all the men and young men met together and then they broke into smaller groups. So they needed a larger room for a short time, then several smaller rooms. Women didn’t do that, whatever women weren’t teaching were in one room for Relief Society, so it makes sense that they had an assigned room specially for them as it would need to be a larger room. This room was used for other classes when not Relief Society, so it isn’t as if they had exclusive rights.

FYI, Having RS always in one spot makes it easy to look for Moms who are not teachers, btw, thus it was my experience that it was mothers more often pulled out of classes to take care of needy kids than fathers, so it isn’t necessary a disadvantage to be the flexible ones.  At the end of Primary, if kids were just let out, they would usually congregate around the RS room until the door was opened and then push into the room to demand Mom’s attention, so fathers also had longer to visit with each other typically. 

Depending on the ward, there may be rooms built for YM and YW, but most wards I have been in just used a room that fit the size of the groups. There wasn’t usually a room that was YW’s for each ward meeting there. Which made sense because sometimes the group was large and other times not. 

The only other two always same room no matter the ward using the building were the Primary Sharing Time and the Nursery. This makes sense due to needing to have smaller chairs set up all day as well as classrooms close by with small chairs, etc. Nursery needs a decent size and closets for toys. Nursery was also the a scouting room in one chapel I was in, in another it was in the RS room. 

To me, it is mostly logistics. The older Priesthood classes are the most flexible and therefore probably last assigned. 

I was not complaining, or pointing fingers. Just relaying a discussion between my wife and I. 

9 hours ago, Islander said:

It is a very strange appropriation of the words of Jesus to stretch into an alleged similarity with an organization's internal disconnect. 

In the passage, Jesus was pointing to the very high cost of following Him. He warned the prospect disciple; "look, I have nothing. I'm an itinerant teacher with no home, status or possessions...are you sure you want to follow me. It may cost you more than you are willing to pay..."

I was using it metaphor, maybe poorly. Won’t do it again, I have learned my lesson. But I do know what the passage means, truly I do.  

7 hours ago, Bill “Papa” Lee said:

I was not complaining, or pointing fingers. Just relaying a discussion between my wife and I. 

And I was just explaining the likely reason for something you have commented on before.

On 8/15/2020 at 7:31 PM, Bill “Papa” Lee said:

Anyway, “Thoughts”?   

It took me a little while to see the sense in what Jesus was saying, about having no where to lay his head, since he did have this whole planet to lay his head on.  He could have laid it anywhere on the planet, wherever he wanted.

And we too have places to meet as elders of the priesthood, wherever we are and wherever we go, if we want to lay our head there or meet there.  In this room or that room, wherever, unless we allow others to meet there instead.

So NO WHERE to lay his head?  It finally dawned on me though that he meant he didn't have any place that was his very own place that wasn't also a place that someone else owned or claimed as their space, too.

We have to share all places, just as he does, since none of us own any place all to individual selves.  Even our Father in heaven shares all of his places with others and no place is only his place.

39 minutes ago, Calm said:

And I was just explaining the likely reason for something you have commented on before.

No worries, I was not attempting to be short or rude, just providing context, and I certainly don’t think, this is the doing on our loving Sisters. I was trying to use the analogy, or metaphor of Jesus Christ‘s reality of having no place, to the Priesthood have no dedicated “place”. It would seem the scriptural reference I gave my wife, and explanation, was understood by her, but not anyone else. Of course, I had much more time and explanation to share with her, than the woeful words and explanation I gave here. Despite my power of speech, and teaching, it does not, or never has translated to the written word. Much like Emma describing Joseph Smith, “I cannot write a coherent, or well worded sentence” (obviously a paraphrase), I am not in any way comparing myself to Joseph, “on his worst day, to my best day”. Which is why I am sure this explanation makes abundantly clear. As I am sure anyone reading it, is scratching “his or her head”, thinking to themselves; WHAT?

2 minutes ago, Bill “Papa” Lee said:

No worries, I was not attempting to be short or rude, just providing context, and I certainly don’t think, this is the doing on our loving Sisters. I was trying to use the analogy, or metaphor of Jesus Christ‘s reality of having no place, to the Priesthood have no dedicated “place”. It would seem the scriptural reference I gave my wife, and explanation, was understood by her, but not anyone else. Of course, I had much more time and explanation to share with her, than the woeful words and explanation I gave here. Despite my power of speech, and teaching, it does not, or never has translated to the written word. Much like Emma describing Joseph Smith, “I cannot write a coherent, or well worded sentence” (obviously a paraphrase), I am not in any way comparing myself to Joseph, “on his worst day, to my best day”. Which is why I am sure this explanation makes abundantly clear. As I am sure anyone reading it, is scratching “his or her head”, thinking to themselves; WHAT?

No, I understand you just fine, Papa, and I think most others do too.  We all have our own peculiar way of saying things.  Whether or not we agree or disagree is a whole other ballgame, though.

• Like 1
28 minutes ago, Ahab said:

No, I understand you just fine, Papa, and I think most others do too.  We all have our own peculiar way of saying things.  Whether or not we agree or disagree is a whole other ballgame, though.

Thank you, I am wondering if I should just delete the post. When you end up having to explain the thread, or even the explanation of the thread. It usually means you missed the mark, as it a mile or so away. 

29 minutes ago, Bill “Papa” Lee said:

Thank you, I am wondering if I should just delete the post. When you end up having to explain the thread, or even the explanation of the thread. It usually means you missed the mark, as it a mile or so away. 

Eh, you never know, someone might have something interesting to say in response to your post(s).  Threads will eventually fade away on their own without anyone needing to intentionally put a stop to them

18 hours ago, Islander said:

To whom are you replying?

13 hours ago, gav said:

Some would say it has to do with many generations of hunter gathering that certain traits have emerged along gender lines. Group gathering and maintaining a central base exercises and entrenches a different skill set than sneaking around quietly after roaming herds and small game would. 

It is useful to know to whom you are replying.   First of all, it notifies the person that you DID reply, secondly it helps others to follow the conversation.  Just one of my pet peeves!  Welcome to the board!

11 hours ago, Bill “Papa” Lee said:

I was using it metaphor, maybe poorly. Won’t do it again, I have learned my lesson. But I do know what the passage means, truly I do.  

No worries. I was just wondering outloud.