Ensign Title Is Dropped, Becoming the Liahona

I’m old enough to remember clearly when the Church magazines underwent their last change to the current format. It was in 1970, as I recall. I turned 16 that year, and I thought it cool that the Church would begin to publish a magazine (the New Era) expressly for youth. 

That first issue contained an article on neckties, and it was from that I learned how to tie a necktie (three different kinds of knots!). 

Prior to that the Church magazines had been the Improvement Era (for adults), the Instructor (the Sunday School magazine), the Children’s Friend and the Relief Society Magazine. 

The Liahona came later, when the various foreign language magazines of the Church were consolidated into one magazine with various language editions and local pages. 

Coincidentally, it has now been 50 years since that last major change in the Church magazines. 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Duncan said:

Wow, and why? Some things are so completely perfect and such a simple part of our past, and foundation. As my Father used to tell me; “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it”. 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Bill “Papa” Lee said:

Wow, and why? Some things are so completely perfect and such a simple part of our past, and foundation. As my Father used to tell me; “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it”. 

I say this with respect and affection, Bill, but sometimes you come across as something of a Luddite. 

2 minutes ago, Scott Lloyd said:

I say this with respect and affection, Bill, but sometimes you come across as something of a Luddite. 

So now, let's tell  everyone how we really feel about them.

I seem to remember something about glass houses...?  How does that go?

3 hours ago, JAHS said:

People were having a hard time pronouncing the word Ensign correctly.

En-sin ?
En-zine ?
En-sine ?

The third one is correct. The magazine itself carried a pronunciation guide in its masthead for years. 

It is nails-on-chalkboard to hear it pronounced “en-sun.”  That’s how you pronounce the rank in the navy. 

Edited by Scott Lloyd
  • Like 1
7 hours ago, bluebell said:

I don't like change so my first reaction was similar, but honestly, if it creates more unity in the church and stops putting saints in the states on a bit of a pedestal of specialness, it's probably a good thing.

Probably.  But end of an era.  😥

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Scott Lloyd said:

Depending on the hour day I wake, until I fall asleep, I am probably known as many different things every day. Some are words that should not be repeated in polite company. 

7 hours ago, bluebell said:

I don't like change so my first reaction was similar, but honestly, if it creates more unity in the church and stops putting saints in the states on a bit of a pedestal of specialness, it's probably a good thing.

Maybe 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Bill “Papa” Lee said:

Depending on the hour day I wake, until I fall asleep, I am probably known as many different things every day. Some are words that should not be repeated in polite company. 

I meant no offense. I suppose I’m something of a Luddite myself in some respects. 

• Like 1

Reducing the number of printed pages in the adult magazine is a change I’m not sure ought to be heralded. I don’t feel to rejoice over having less content served up to me. 

• Like 1
41 minutes ago, Scott Lloyd said:

Reducing the number of printed pages in the adult magazine is a change I’m not sure ought to be heralded. I don’t feel to rejoice over having less content served up to me. 

my Mom is almost 80, she isn't too happy, she and most everyone she knows her age aren't online, she wants a physical copy to read

On 8/15/2020 at 2:39 PM, Duncan said:

my Mom is almost 80, she isn't too happy, she and most everyone she knows her age aren't online, she wants a physical copy to read

Print subscriptions aren't going anywhere.

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, marineland said:

Are they going to replace the 3 references to ensign in the Book of Mormon with liahona?

Why would they?  The references aren't referring to the magazine.

Edited by bluebell
  • Like 1
5 minutes ago, bluebell said:

Why would they?  The references aren't referring to the magazine.

Why did they pick the word 'ensign' in the first place to name the magazine and what has changed since
then?

4 minutes ago, marineland said:

Why did they pick the word 'ensign' in the first place to name the magazine and what has changed since
then?

An ensign is a flag or a standard.  I'm guessing they chose it because they thought it was a good name for a magazine that discussed and shared the standards of the church. 

The church has called the non-english Ensign Magazine the Liahona for years.  Seems like they decided that for the sake of unity that they would drop the English title and go with the non-English one, probably because the word Ensign would need to be translated into the different languages (since it's an actual word).  Since the word Liahona wouldn't need to be translated into different languages keeping it as the name for everything is easier.

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, bluebell said:

An ensign is a flag or a standard.  I'm guessing they chose it because they thought it was a good name for a magazine that discussed and shared the standards of the church. 

The church has called the non-english Ensign Magazine the Liahona for years.  Seems like they decided that for the sake of unity that they would drop the English title and go with the non-English one, probably because the word Ensign would need to be translated into the different languages (since it's an actual word).  Since the word Liahona wouldn't need to be translated into different languages keeping it as the name for everything is easier.

How is the word 'ensign' in 2 Nephi 15:21 and 2 Nephi 21:10,12 translated in other languages
of the Book of Mormon?

11 minutes ago, marineland said:

How is the word 'ensign' in 2 Nephi 15:21 and 2 Nephi 21:10,12 translated in other languages
of the Book of Mormon?

I don't know as I don't have any copies of the BOM in other languages.

From in spanish ensign becomes 'bandera' so I would guess that's how it's translated in the spanish BOM.  In french it becomes insigne so that's probably what it is in the French BOM.   Maybe someone can check.

Edited by bluebell
  • Like 1