Seriously No Politics ×

Ensign Title Is Dropped, Becoming the Liahona

I just realized that the Church is re-naming the magazine to drop Ensign in favor of Liahona roughly at the same time it is re-naming LDS Business College in favor of Ensign College.

Thanks,

-Smac

17 hours ago, bluebell said:

I don't know as I don't have any copies of the BOM in other languages.

From in spanish ensign becomes 'bandera' so I would guess that's how it's translated in the spanish BOM.  In french it becomes insigne so that's probably what it is in the French BOM.   Maybe someone can check.

It's "bannière" in the church's current French translation.

7 hours ago, smac97 said:

I just realized that the Church is re-naming the magazine to drop Ensign in favor of Liahona roughly at the same time it is re-naming LDS Business College in favor of Ensign College.

Thanks,

-Smac

Actually the Church is simply ending the publication of the Ensign magazine.  The Liahona was already in print so it is not the Ensign with a new name.

On 8/14/2020 at 2:37 PM, Scott Lloyd said:

The third one is correct. The magazine itself carried a pronunciation guide in its masthead for years. 

It is nails-on-chalkboard to hear it pronounced “en-sun.”  That’s how you pronounce the rank in the navy. 

The last bishop I had when I was living in Flagstaff, AZ used to pronounce Israel as "Izrull". Nails-on-chalkboard indeed. It was also like hearing a car going 120mph coming to an abrupt stop.

Covid19 has diminished my concernhas about magazine names, how Israel is pronounced (though I don't like chalk board scratching), how well my Dodgers do this year, or some of my friends' hobbyism on end times despite Church counseling, etc.

This pandemic has restricted my MIL to the house (she has not been at the house doors even once), which has restricted my wife and my movement and exposure because of her.

We have had a lot of time to think and realize once again that family, health, and spiritual matters just dominate our lives.

On 8/22/2020 at 11:31 PM, Michael G. Reed. said:

Neck ties and Knots. Interesting.

It was interesting — and very useful — to me at the time as a teenager in the Church and a member of the newly minted magazine’s target audience. I appreciate it to this day, because it helped me acquire an essential skill that I used almost daily for much of my life. And obviously it was very memorable to me. 

Edited by Scott Lloyd
On 8/23/2020 at 12:10 PM, marineland said:

Why did they pick the word 'ensign' in the first place to name the magazine and what has changed since
then?

On 8/23/2020 at 12:20 PM, bluebell said:

An ensign is a flag or a standard.  I'm guessing they chose it because they thought it was a good name for a magazine that discussed and shared the standards of the church. 

The church has called the non-english Ensign Magazine the Liahona for years.  Seems like they decided that for the sake of unity that they would drop the English title and go with the non-English one, probably because the word Ensign would need to be translated into the different languages (since it's an actual word).  Since the word Liahona wouldn't need to be translated into different languages keeping it as the name for everything is easier.

As I pointed out in a separate thread that I started, the word Ensign has long been highly important to the doctrines and beliefs of the Latter-day Saints as a scriptural allusion to the prophecy in Isaiah that in the latter days the Lord would raise “an ensign to the nations” and gather the outcasts of Israel. This foreshadows the restoration of the gospel and the latter-day gathering of Israel. Applying the word as the title of the Church’s flagship magazine, it seems to me, was a meaningful nod to the Church’s mission. It still strikes me as a good name for the magazine, although, as I indicated in the other thread, I do believe Liahona is the better choice in unifying the international and English-language magazines under a single name. 

Edited by Scott Lloyd
On 8/27/2020 at 1:34 PM, Scott Lloyd said:

As I pointed out in a separate thread that I started, the word Ensign has long been highly important to the doctrines and beliefs of the Latter-day Saints as a scriptural allusion to the prophecy in Isaiah that in the latter days the Lord would raise “an Ensign to the nations” and gather the outcasts of Israel.

Which prophecy in Isaiah?