Seriously No Politics ×

Cat Stories

8 hours ago, Stargazer said:

Well, I guess this means we must declare a war on cats! Save the planet and all that...

No, I am not suggesting that. People need to be aware of what is happening though and if they want a lot of bird life around their home, it makes sense to put out protected feeders and nesting areas and keep their beloved pets inside and encourage neighbours to do the same thing.

I rarely see any families of quails or pheasants around anymore when they were a common sight when we moved in.  Mice population has gone up for some reason. People have gotten much better about not letting their dogs wander   I imagine eventually cats will be more restricted to indoor   If we ever get a cat again, it will be strictly indoor  

Edited by Calm
On 10/30/2020 at 4:33 PM, Calm said:

No, I am not suggesting that. People need to be aware of what is happening though and if they want a lot of bird life around their home, it makes sense to put out protected feeders and nesting areas and keep their beloved pets inside and encourage neighbours to do the same thing.

I rarely see any families of quails or pheasants around anymore when they were a common sight when we moved in.  Mice population has gone up for some reason. People have gotten much better about not letting their dogs wander   I imagine eventually cats will be more restricted to indoor   If we ever get a cat again, it will be strictly indoor  

Sorry, I was joking. 

Our cats have killed or injured upwards of ten or so slowworms since we got them. They are a protected species here in the UK -- but of course the cats aren't going to be arrested for their deeds in this case. But we have rescued about seven of the slowworms (all but two shed their tails to get away, which didn't work), and released them down the road where they might escape our cats. Except there are several cats in the neighborhood, so... We've also rescued five or six shrews and done the same, and a couple of voles.  We keep the cats fed well, so they aren't doing these predations out of need. It is more a matter of instrinct.  Our local birds are wary, and only two have succumbed to our cats. As far as we know, at least.

Our cats are not indoor -- though we keep them in all night.

I was 12 or so. We had a nice big black cat with a couple of big white patches, don’t remember the cats name. My mom is domineering and not flexible at all.(severe mental illness). She refused to keep the cat’s food dish indoors and put it outside on the porch. Of course all the neighborhood cats quickly learned there was food on the porch. My mother became so frustrated with the other cats eating the food she decided to poison the cat food, that’ll teach them!! Only thing is that she ended up poisoning our cat. Found him dead on the porch. I was so upset I yelled at my mom and she grounded me for a week. My mother is old school and has no problem killing dogs and cats if they offend her sensibilities. Back then you could get away with it, early ‘80’s in Provo. 

3 minutes ago, sweetpotatoh said:

I was 12 or so. We had a nice big black cat with a couple of big white patches, don’t remember the cats name. My mom is domineering and not flexible at all.(severe mental illness). She refused to keep the cat’s food dish indoors and put it outside on the porch. Of course all the neighborhood cats quickly learned there was food on the porch. My mother became so frustrated with the other cats eating the food she decided to poison the cat food, that’ll teach them!! Only thing is that she ended up poisoning our cat. Found him dead on the porch. I was so upset I yelled at my mom and she grounded me for a week. My mother is old school and has no problem killing dogs and cats if they offend her sensibilities. Back then you could get away with it, early ‘80’s in Provo. 

That must have been tough, not just the cat, but the rigid ness. Kids need freedom to grow as much as rules. 

2 hours ago, Calm said:

That must have been tough, not just the cat, but the rigid ness. Kids need freedom to grow as much as rules. 

Everyone of my sisters were married by 18 just to escape her. I have 5 sisters. 3 out of the five have been married at least twice. 1 is active in the church(TBM). The other one is a serial cheater and just got pregnant from her boyfriend to the chagrin of her husband. My Mother has come along way since the early ‘80’s. She’s been on 6 missions with my father and serves the sisters in her stake religiously. My mother’s parents were both alcoholics and her father was a violent man. She still has her moments but overall we have a great relationship now. 

48 minutes ago, sweetpotatoh said:

Everyone of my sisters were married by 18 just to escape her. I have 5 sisters. 3 out of the five have been married at least twice. 1 is active in the church(TBM). The other one is a serial cheater and just got pregnant from her boyfriend to the chagrin of her husband. My Mother has come along way since the early ‘80’s. She’s been on 6 missions with my father and serves the sisters in her stake religiously. My mother’s parents were both alcoholics and her father was a violent man. She still has her moments but overall we have a great relationship now. 

Seeing progress in the one who hurt you likely helps most people (I can imagine some may be resentful if their own life feels stagnanted or damaged and healing feels blocked).  I am glad you got that in your life.

It is very easy to see the great strides in my parents' parenting, but unfortunately there were still some things they continued.  I think I have chopped off a few more of the choking vines and just hoping I didn't add my own versions.

It’s amazing and sad that we are so influenced by our parents. Amazing if you had great parents. Sad if you didn’t. Getting rid of our own shortcomings via the Atonement is one of the great joys in this world. However some struggles will be with us until we depart this world. I’ve often wondered why we all seem to have things we struggle with. Dealing with them and not ruining or destroying relationships of those we love can be challenging at times. Forgiving ones self can be extremely difficult. Anyways, it’s nice to chat with you Calm. 

Edited by sweetpotatoh
Spelling

I've always liked cats best. While I'm not a dog person, I'm not anti-dog. A comedian I've followed a bit had this to say about it:

• 2 weeks later...

The TV with cats was funny... I notice on top of the TV is a little "zen garden" in the black box... I gave one to a friend one time.  It is the black square box, filled with fine white sand... the little wooden rake is used to rake the sand after making a random pattern in the sand... making the pattern is supposed to be relaxing... then raking it away...

GG

On 11/4/2020 at 1:34 PM, sweetpotatoh said:

Good for both of you! :)

Steve being weird yesterday.  He spends most of his time being weird.

1871091196_Stevethecat.thumb.jpg.fe8f5fc773916b313d13a9723d1b50be.jpg

Steve and I would get along famously, then. ;) (And I'm not really a cat person ... :unknw:) ;):D

Edited by Kenngo1969

On 11/16/2020 at 9:52 PM, Tacenda said:

I thought of you guys when I saw this!

Image may contain: cat and indoor

Just wondering if anyone else thinks about cleaning up the sand after the cats jump on top. That is one brave cat owner!

Edited by Rain
6 hours ago, Tacenda said:

Haha, and if they get bored with the show and want to change the channel!

"Bored with the show?"  Wait, I thought they were the show! ;):D

On 10/31/2020 at 9:43 PM, Calm said:

Why not keep them indoors?  Just curious. 

My cat-lady wife feels it's cruel to keep them indoors while living in a house surrounded by countryside.