Seriously No Politics ×

Cat Stories

There was a couple of people on a sailboat in Ensenada that had a cat. They got all ready to go to Panama and could not find their cat. They waited two extra weeks for the cat to show up he was nowhere to be found. Sadly they set sail for Panama and went through canal. One day at the marina on the Caribbean side their cat just showed up. They had no idea where it came from and he had been gone for at least 3 weeks. So the question is do cats teleport?

5 hours ago, MustardSeed said:

My cat lived 20 years.  I’m not a cat person at all- 

So, living 20 years was the cat's revenge? ;):D

1 hour ago, Garden Girl said:

I don't know about teleporting... but my Susie-cat must have a sixth sense... I've only had her 5 months (got her from the shelter...a 2 yr old, beautiful tortoise shell, sweet and loving and very bonded to me)... So I was going to take her to the vet last Friday... a 3:00 PM appt to get her "chipped" ...  I started looking for her about 2:00 and she was not to be found.  I even tapped her food dish, which normally brings her running.  Nothing... I called and called... Nothing... I'm not able to get down and look under the beds... I'm sure she was tucked under one of them... Anyway, I had to call the vet and reschedule.  She came strolling out about 5:30... the evening time she likes to be fed.  Next time I'm going to get her in a.m. and put her right into her carrier...  she can stay there until time to go.

GG

That's hilarious! :D

On 8/10/2020 at 2:46 PM, Garden Girl said:

I don't know about teleporting... but my Susie-cat must have a sixth sense... I've only had her 5 months (got her from the shelter...a 2 yr old, beautiful tortoise shell, sweet and loving and very bonded to me)... So I was going to take her to the vet last Friday... a 3:00 PM appt to get her "chipped" ...  I started looking for her about 2:00 and she was not to be found.  I even tapped her food dish, which normally brings her running.  Nothing... I called and called... Nothing... I'm not able to get down and look under the beds... I'm sure she was tucked under one of them... Anyway, I had to call the vet and reschedule.  She came strolling out about 5:30... the evening time she likes to be fed.  Next time I'm going to get her in a.m. and put her right into her carrier...  she can stay there until time to go.

GG

On 8/10/2020 at 4:19 PM, Kenngo1969 said:

That's hilarious! :D

You piqued my curiosity, and I wanted to know what a tortoise shell cat looks like:

image.png.a27e57f3707ef99878139c9ccf06a3e1.png

Gorgeous! :)

On 8/10/2020 at 3:35 AM, rodheadlee said:

There was a couple of people on a sailboat in Ensenada that had a cat. They got all ready to go to Panama and could not find their cat. They waited two extra weeks for the cat to show up he was nowhere to be found. Sadly they set sail for Panama and went through canal. One day at the marina on the Caribbean side their cat just showed up. They had no idea where it came from and he had been gone for at least 3 weeks. So the question is do cats teleport?

Some of them do.

Robert Heinlein once wrote a novel called "The Cat Who Walks Through Walls". It featured a young cat (along with a LOT of other things):

"The title of the book refers to a cat by the name of Pixel, who has an inexplicable tendency to be wherever the narrator happens to be. In one scene Pixel does, in fact, walk through a wall, and it is explained that Pixel is too young to know that such behavior is impossible."

11 hours ago, Kenngo1969 said:

You piqued my curiosity, and I wanted to know what a tortoise shell cat looks like:

image.png.a27e57f3707ef99878139c9ccf06a3e1.png

Gorgeous! :)

Actually, my Susie has a white body with these mottled colored patches and tail...  it is her patches/tail that are the tortoise shell colors...

GG

GG

3 hours ago, bluebell said:

We once 'lost' our cat in an apartment where we weren't supposed to have cats (I know i'm horrible, but we were only going to be there a few months and he was declawed and extremely well behaved so I didn't have any guilt over it).  We could not find him anywhere and were so afraid that he had accidentally gotten outside somehow.  My husband was out "casually" following cat footprints in the snow all around the complex, trying to softly call his name, getting more panicked by the minute.  Meanwhile, the fluffy jerkface was peacefully curled up asleep in my son's closet.

:D:rofl::D

On 8/9/2020 at 9:35 PM, rodheadlee said:

Its 3400+ miles from Ensenada MX to Colon Panama -- the cat had to be hiding on the boat. 

20 hours ago, InCognitus said:

That sounds like a story I was thinking of when I saw this thread. 

Late one evening we noticed that our cat was missing.  He doesn't go outside much, but he does do that occasionally.  And he has never strayed beyond our property line.  Our back yard is completely fenced and he doesn't like to climb walls, so I couldn't imagine him going anywhere away from our house.  But we looked all over the house.  We called him and searched everywhere including the closets and his usual sleeping places, but we couldn't find him. 

So my wife had me go looking up and down the street and in the alley, and all the while I was doing that I kept thinking to myself, this would be completely uncharacteristic of his nature.  There's no way he'd be out where I was looking.  The cat is very attached to my wife and follows her everywhere, so I started thinking of things that I remember my wife doing during the day.  Then it occurred to me that I thought she had been putting away laundry earlier in the day, about twelve hours earlier, and she was putting away towels and sheets. 

So I went back to the house (after searching the entire neighborhood to make my wife happy) and I went to the day bed where she had been putting away the laundry and I opened one of the drawers at the bottom of the day bed, and there was the cat in the back of the drawer, sound asleep.  I called the family in to say that I had found him, and with all of us gathered around he squeezed himself out of the back of the drawer and stretched and yawned, and he had a look on his face like, "what are all of you looking at?"  He had been sleeping in the back of that drawer for about twelve hours without making a sound.   And he was in a room where we had been looking for him and calling him, but he was either asleep or didn't care, because he never responded to our calls.  Stupid cat.  

Pretty sure every cat keeper has stories similar to this and bluebell's and garden girl's!  I certainly do! For example, i hadn't had my latest two long and I was training them to be indoor cats.   The male slipped out when I came home, leaving the female to pace up and down rather distressed  (they are siblings and have never been separated. )  I called and called,  walked where I could looking for him and eventually went home,  certain I'd lost him.  Chloe was so upset though, I gave it one more go at calling him and finally got an answering upset sounding miaow!   I kept calling and getting miaows back and finally a blur of something bounded over the garden fence and shot into the house!  Big reunion with his sister,  not so much with me!   He didn't venture out again for a long time! Lot of incidents since from both of them!   But I adore them anyway! 

When I married my wife Wendy she had had four cats, with the youngest about 15 years old.  Because of visa and other issues, it was a long-distance marriage for about a year, and two of the older cats had died by the time I arrived in the UK on a long-term visa, so I never met them (I'm told they were great cats, tho). Over the next two years the last two cats got too sick and old in their turn and had to be sent back to the Creator. Wendy had proclaimed that after the last one died she wasn't going to get another cat, but I knew better. A cat person is a cat person, after all.  So, about six months later, a member of our ward had a young lady cat that they couldn't keep, and we went for a visit to meet the cat. A very nice young female, about 2 years old, who had had one litter and was pregnant again. She was very personable, and seemed to like us, so we took her on.  She's one of the sweetest cats I have ever known.  She was given the name Caramel, but most of the time she gets called Cara.

When it came time for the kittens to be born, instead of seeking out a dark closet to give birth, early in the morning Caramel jumped up our bed and laid down next to my wife. It was clear that she was in labor, and she gave birth to two kittens, but they were both stillborn! So sad, and Wendy thought that she must have at least one more kitten in there, and took her to an emergency Vet clinic. It turned out that there was one more, but it was also dead.  Well, Caramel's kitten days were clearly over after the surgery, so the vet completed the spaying.  Caramel seemed quite distraught, and once she was up and walking it seemed like she would walk around the house looking for something, like she was missing the kittens she was expecting.  Or so it seemed to us.

In the meanwhile, Wendy's daughter had been looking for a kitten for herself (to add to her menagerie of three dogs, two horses, and five children), and she told Wendy about her coworker's new litter of kittens.  Wendy went with her to help her daughter choose one for herself, but ended up taking two of the kittens for us!  So here they come, two new boy kittens, and how will Caramel react to them? Well, after the initial obligatory hissing and back-arching was finished (the formalities must be observed, after all), Caramel started treating these two just-weaned kittens as her own, and since she still had milk from her failed pregnancy, she even suckled them for awhile!  It was quite heart-warming!

So now we have three cats, and they are all friends.  What did we name the kittens?  Kirk and Spock.  I wanted them to be Cat 1 and Cat 2, but I was overruled.  In case you were wondering, yes, my wife and stepson are both Star Trek fans.

Edited by Stargazer
forgot to mention the horses

Okay... that little snip... Susie.... 

Today I had an appt at the vet to get Susie "chipped"... last time I tried to get her I couldn't as she hid from me like she had a sixth sense, and I had to cancel.  So today I started early, and when I picked her up and was carrying her to her carrier she meowed so loudly and squirmed out of my arms and ran... now she's hiding... so, I just called the vet to cancel today's appt.   I guess I'll just have to forget it for now.  I'm not comfortable not having an ID chip in her, but there's no way today... what I'll have to do is wait until sometime when I can get her, put her into her carrier and haul her to the vet and board her for a day and let them work on her as they can.  I'd be more upset if she wasn't so sweet and beautiful...

GG