Seriously No Politics ×

Odd Thought

In reading another thread ,it struck me about the word " put " . I noticed that the verb ' put '  is the same in present and past tense , either that or I don't know the present tense of the verb. Any other examples you folks can think of?  Sorry, but tangents are a thing in my life. 

I loved tenses in the past in English class and all the variations. Made things interesting and fun or so I thought. When I got to college and actually looked at a grammar book, I was amazed at what my teachers had skipped over. Then I learned about how it was done in some other languages and was horrified.  Too much to keep track of. 

https://jakubmarian.com/english-verbs-that-are-the-same-in-the-present-tense-and-the-past-tense/

I notice they use the third person singular to differentiate the tense. I was using the first person singular

ie. I put the book down  .Is that present or past tense? or both? 

He puts the book down ( present) vs He put the book down ( past )

English is so weird.  ( then there is that i before e rule that has more exceptions than one can shake a stick at. ) 

1 hour ago, strappinglad said:

English is so weird.  ( then there is that i before e rule that has more exceptions than one can shake a stick at. ) 

The Norman invasion has somewhat to do with it, that is why we often have two words for many things. A french like latinic one and another. e.g. Comprehend or Understand, Comprendre in french. Facile or Easy, Facile in french. The list goes on and on for hundreds of words. Grammar etc was similarly affected.

16 hours ago, strappinglad said:

In reading another thread ,it struck me about the word " put " . I noticed that the verb ' put '  is the same in present and past tense , either that or I don't know the present tense of the verb. Any other examples you folks can think of?  Sorry, but tangents are a thing in my life. 

Plenty of them, beset, bid, etc., see the list of irregular English verbs at https://speakspeak.com/resources/vocabulary-general-english/english-irregular-verbs