Seriously No Politics ×

Purpose of Temple Vip Tours?

Something I wonder about is the purpose or practicality of VIP tour(s) of a temple before it's dedicated. To me, it is why can't VIPS take the tour with the rest of people? why are we seperating people  'you're important, you're not'. All the while after the temple is dedicated we all wear white and no one really knows who is who in terms of jobs(unless you know them of course) it seems we create this division among the people and I wonder why do we do that?

28 minutes ago, strappinglad said:

Politics, PR,  maintaining good relations with those who sign the building permits.

As you are aware, the Church has to jump through a lot of hoops to build a temple.

25 minutes ago, Rain said:

They talked about this when the Gilbert temple opened up to those who were leading tours.

Some of VIPs are the press.  It makes good press when they do it.

Some are government leaders. It helps relations between the government and the church.  

Don't quote me on this because my memory could be wrong, but it seems like they also bring in government leaders from areas where they are wanting to put in temples as well. 

It's nor VIP because these people are special.  It is VIP because it helps the church.

My sister told me that when the Ogden Temple ( it was remodeled) had their open house, a non-LDS man who is very wealthy and owns a company that had something to do with a local place near me that has shopping stores, dining, a water fountain and a cinema building, was given special treatment and saw things on the tour that others didn't and had a special experience in the Celestial room.  So I guess it depends on who you are, she is a faithful LDS so she was sharing because she thought it was so cool. I guess her husband and her know the guy.

Edited by Tacenda

Wait ... you mean ... there's no mind-control frog under the font??!!!! :(:unknw:  :angry::aggressive:

:D:rofl::D

6 hours ago, Rain said:

But did she have any idea of why he was invited?  Just because he had lots of money doesn't mean the church invited him for that reason.  It's ok to not assume the worst.

There are plenty of narcissistic and very rich people who need to be invited just for the practical reason that we don't need future problems with such people.  A little kindness and respect goes a long way.  As soon as they see that the Mormons are not a threat to their conspiratorial plans, they laugh at our innocent idiocy, and then go off to continue their normal criminal enterprises.

Probably not as important for the Taylorsville Utah temple (no idea where that even is), but the VIP tours will be very important for the DC temple when it's dedicated again.  LDS politicians and government officials often bring diplomats from all over the world to the visitor center, especially during the Christmas season.  I imagine the visits can do a lot to improve relations between the church and foreign government leaders. 

It was supposed to be this fall, but it's been postponed due to Covid-19.  It may be tough for those LDS politicians that get voted out of office in Nov if it's rescheduled for next year.

37 minutes ago, gopher said:

Probably not as important for the Taylorsville Utah temple (no idea where that even is), but the VIP tours will be very important for the DC temple when it's dedicated again.  LDS politicians and government officials often bring diplomats from all over the world to the visitor center, especially during the Christmas season.  I imagine the visits can do a lot to improve relations between the church and foreign government leaders. 

It was supposed to be this fall, but it's been postponed due to Covid-19.  It may be tough for those LDS politicians that get voted out of office in Nov if it's rescheduled for next year.

Major cross streets are 4700 S and I-215.

Sometimes you have to make people feel it is worth it to them to attend.   Often that is by having an apostle tour guide at a time that works easily for you and allows you to also be with others who might be professionally helpful, thus justifying work time.

From the church perspective it is likely also so that the leaders of the community get the very most professional tours with someone ordained/set apart to lead who therefore have wide experience and know sound answers to lots and lots of questions, and practice at listening to the spirit and acting on it in a church leadership setting.   Those community leaders need to walk away with a full and correct in all ways view of the teachings of the Gospel.

The third reason is that when you do VIP tours, local media will cover it, and that will mean more people know about it and have the opportunity to choose to attend themselves.

Edited by rpn
1 hour ago, Rain said:

Major cross streets are 4700 S and I-215.

thanks, I'd never heard of Taylorsville before the announcement was made.  I don't know my Utah geography very well.  I'm guessing it was named after John Taylor, the guitar player from Duran Duran?

4 hours ago, strappinglad said:

Question to those who know. Do they redo the carpets after all the open house traffic has been through or are carpet protectors used? 

My husband was told they redo the carpets by someone involved, but this may have been from years ago before the booties (or his memory may be off).  Iirc, someone on this board or ZLMB (a similar older board now extinct) said they just cleaned the carpets.  There was some talk by a few exmos about trying to damage things during the Nauvoo temple open house iirc. (pretty silly from the little I saw)

Edited by Calm
4 hours ago, strappinglad said:

Question to those who know. Do they redo the carpets after all the open house traffic has been through or are carpet protectors used? 

Everyone wears socks/booties.  Plastic is put down over the  most trafficked areas.  Most of the tour falls in those areas and you don't get time to wander.

Some of the carpets are carved.  For the Gilbert temple (and others) they drew the lines with sharpie type markers.  Then the use some kind of cutting tool to carve out the lines. 

4 hours ago, gopher said:

thanks, I'd never heard of Taylorsville before the announcement was made.  I don't know my Utah geography very well.  I'm guessing it was named after John Taylor, the guitar player from Duran Duran?

It is in the Salt Lake Valley a little south and west of salt lake. Driving through you probably wouldn't know it wasn't Salt Lake as it all runs together.