The Shape of the Church Post Covid.

22 hours ago, bsjkki said:

I hope it helps people realize what is most important in their personal worship and helps the church realize we had too many meetings. I had always wondered how to strip the 'social' issues of church away from the spiritual and this has done it. I'm not looking forward to going back. I miss the temple far more than church. Home church has been a blessing for my family. With all that being said, we have to go back. Right now, most people in the ward know each other. I feel bad for the people who have moved in during covid who don't have 'friends' in the ward. It must be lonely moving somewhere with no church and no opportunities to get to know people.  The ward needs to meet together but it would be nice to analyze what further cuts could be made and still form the 'ties that bind' us together.

I think it would help to have a talk in a Church meeting about how we can socialize with Zoom.  There is a way to do chat and if you want to do a one-on-one with someone or some group of people the chat can be moved to text messaging or a private Zoom meeting that you or they can start.  Or if you're more comfortable with some other video chat or texting service, like Skype or Microsoft Teams, you can use that instead of Zoom.  Just because you're at home doesn't mean you can't communicate with other people.  Technology is a wonderful tool.

21 hours ago, mfbukowski said:

It would be interesting if we could make replies via short videos here.

Just something to run up the flag pole. 

All we would have to do is make a selfie-video, limit the time, and upload it like you would share any video.....   even I can figure out that one!!

Seems like Discord would be a good format for this message board, if you wanted to incorporate video chats.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Ahab said:

I think it would help to have a talk in a Church meeting about how we can socialize with Zoom.  There is a way to do chat and if you want to do a one-on-one with someone or some group of people the chat can be moved to text messaging or a private Zoom meeting that you or they can start.  Or if you're more comfortable with some other video chat or texting service, like Skype or Microsoft Teams, you can use that instead of Zoom.  Just because you're at home doesn't mean you can't communicate with other people.  Technology is a wonderful tool.

It would be cool if the church had an official communication channel that all members had access to.  Whether that is Zoom, Teams, Skype, etc.  Then we login with our online account and have easy access to ward members and such.

2 minutes ago, webbles said:

It would be cool if the church had an official communication channel that all members had access to.  Whether that is Zoom, Teams, Skype, etc.  Then we login with our online account and have easy access to ward members and such.

Most bishops would not be thrilled if their members had an IM or video call option to reach them at any time.

14 hours ago, Meadowchik said:

Church literally is a social thing. However, social connections can be made outside of in-person experiences. I think all of us who value society of others need to adapt to plugging in more to the alternatives, be it letters, calls, emails, Zooming, etc... And help others adapt. There will always be (and always have been) members who could not meet in person as much or at all. I think this is an opportunity to open church to more individuals.

But that is the exception (not able to attend, home bound) rather than the rule. There is absolutely no substitute for personal, face to face fellowship. The fact that some people don't care or don't need it does not negate the fact that others do. 

Again, at times I feel that the forum is an echo chamber out of Utah. Those that are life long members, have an extensive family network in the church have a totally different social experience than the converts. If you only look at the world thru your eyes you will miss 99% of it. It is not about what you think or feel from a pragmatic standpoint. Is what others desperately need and and want. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Islander said:

Again, at times I feel that the forum is an echo chamber out of Utah

The majority of posters who have shared personal info  live outside of Utah or have for most of their lives if they went to BYU or like me moved here for a job after living all over the US and in other countries; lots of converts as well. 

I can only think of one female poster who has lived in Utah all her life (if I am not mistaken) and she isn’t ‘typical’.  I think there are four of us who have moved to Utah since joining the board for jobs or schooling or being by family who moved here.  There may be others who haven’t shared where they lived, but I can only think of one I don’t have a vague idea on where she lives. 

Assuming a certain POV may be misleading you. 

Edited by Calm
  • Like 4
10 hours ago, Sine Saw Square said:

Seems like Discord would be a good format for this message board, if you wanted to incorporate video chats.

You could call it Of One Accord! :D

• Like 2
7 hours ago, Islander said:

But that is the exception (not able to attend, home bound) rather than the rule. There is absolutely no substitute for personal, face to face fellowship. The fact that some people don't care or don't need it does not negate the fact that others do. 

Of course people need it, there's no arguing that. But I'm talking about nothing versus the alternatives.

Lots of people lived with the only the alternatives as options, before the pandemic. I wonder what the proportions are, when speaking of inactive membership, and how many are not unwilling to come, but are prevented by infirmity, sickness, and distance. And not just in one ward or branch, but everywhere.

7 hours ago, Islander said:

Again, at times I feel that the forum is an echo chamber out of Utah. Those that are life long members, have an extensive family network in the church have a totally different social experience than the converts. If you only look at the world thru your eyes you will miss 99% of it. It is not about what you think or feel from a pragmatic standpoint. Is what others desperately need and and want. 

I guess I can understand the feeling, but I am not coming from that place in life or in the world. Nor do my posts including the ones on this thread reflect that:

22 hours ago, Meadowchik said:

On 8/4/2020 at 10:20 AM, Meadowchik said:

20 hours ago, The Nehor said:

Most bishops would not be thrilled if their members had an IM or video call option to reach them at any time.

We weren't talking about bishops.  Who socializes with bishops?  We understand they are busy with ward business and generally try to leave them to it.

And the same goes for Relief Society Presidents, Elder's Quorum Presidents, all members of the ward bishopric, and everyone who attends or who used to attend Priesthood leaderships meetings and Ward Council meetings, etc.

19 minutes ago, Ahab said:

We weren't talking about bishops.  Who socializes with bishops?  We understand they are busy with ward business and generally try to leave them to it.

And the same goes for Relief Society Presidents, Elder's Quorum Presidents, all members of the ward bishopric, and everyone who attends or who used to attend Priesthood leaderships meetings and Ward Council meetings, etc.

Bwahahahahahahahahahahahaha! That is a good one. Lol

Oh wait, you are serious? Oh, in that case:

No, these statements are false.

Just now, The Nehor said:

Bwahahahahahahahahahahahaha! That is a good one. Lol

Oh wait, you are serious? Oh, in that case:

No, these statements are false.

No, I was not being serious.  Geesh.  I hate it when I have to tell someone that I am telling a joke because they apparently do not KNOW I am.  But it is funny to see them laugh first before they ask me if I am joking or being serious.

A former bishop and high councilman to whom I was talking today told me he really does not know where the church structurally and institutionally will be post-Covid.

He said he will support the Fifteen.  He said he does not expect a female priesthood, but if God's prophets say that is the way, he has his walking shoes on and will follow their lead.

Edited by JamesBYoung
2 hours ago, JamesBYoung said:

He said he will support the Fifteen.  He said he does not expect a female priesthood, but if God's prophets say that is the way, he has his walking shoes on.

So he will support the Fifteen until he disagrees with them basically?

1 hour ago, Calm said:

So he will support the Fifteen until he disagrees with them basically?

The fault is mine, Calm, in describing what he said.  He meant he will follow in whatever path the Fifteen take themselves.

2 hours ago, JamesBYoung said:

A former bishop and high councilman to whom I was talking today told me he really does not know where the church structurally and institutionally will be post-Covid.

He said he will support the Fifteen.  He said he does not expect a female priesthood, but if God's prophets say that is the way, he has his walking shoes on.

The dude sounds a bit sexist.

But it does illustrate how many members, even the most "devout" have their own lines in the sand, even if they don't define them so clearly. Conservative, liberal- it doesn't matter. People are generally willing to follow as long as they agree. Fewer are willing when they don't.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, JamesBYoung said:

The fault is mine, Calm, in describing what he said.  He meant he will follow in whatever path the Fifteen take themselves.

That makes much more sense. Thank you.