Seriously No Politics ×

The Shape of the Church Post Covid.

Hi all, I mostly lurk and read what more learned people have to say. I'd love to know what you all think about this:

For close to 6 months now the entire Church population (at least in the USA) has effectively been 'inactive'. I know I know, home-centered worship and all that. It's great! Which actually is part of what I'm wondering. The few people with kids, that I've talked to about 'home church' have mostly had positive experiences. My brother, who's a bishop, has enjoyed the extra time at home and the convenience of meeting remotely, for example. I've found it similarly pleasant. My family has had some profound Sunday experiences. We do Come Follow Me almost every night which is almost like a nightly FHE.  I know there are others who don't have that kind of experience. They might be isolated and alone, or have unstable family situations, and so on.  But we're all experiencing something unique in our "regular" Church lives.

Building on that thought, how are the youth experiencing this moment? What kind of long term affect will separation from the weekly tradition of going to Church, participating in classes and programs, and regular connections have on this generation as they grow in to adulthood? How will they view weekly attendance?  Will they think it unsafe? Will they view it as necessary in some fundamental way?  I think my kids will look back with fondness on the time we've been able to grow closer together. What will that memory do to their view of being active?

Lastly, Missionary service. I really feel for the missionaries in our ward. They are very limited in what activities they can do. Our sisters are even teaching someone in another country over video conferencing. In someways they have become a charity for the ward members to support with increased requests to host the missionaries for porch-visits or 'drive by prayers' in the Stake Center parking lot. I imagine how tough that would be on my mission if I couldn't go to someone's house to teach a lesson, tract or even go street contacting. It seems like missions right now aren't really working. I know of young people who want to serve a mission, but don't want to serve THIS kind of mission with home-mtc, and being isolated in an apartment somewhere.

So far I believe the Church's response has been very competent. A lot of changes happened just in time helping is better cope with the current moment. That certainly seems inspired.  (Scouts, Come Follow Me, Home centered gospel, etc). 

What I'd love to hear from you is, what lasting effects you think this current moment will have on the Church as an institution, tradition, or practice? Will we need to rethink missionary service? Weekly worship? How about this rising generation? How will they see things?

Thanks! (I'm usually rather busy and don't have time to post much but I'll enjoy your answers).

Getting people back to the chapel will prove to be a challenge i'm betting. In the last two weeks we've had 45 people attend church out of 150 that could

One thing I found odd was at the angel Moroni raising was people weren't wearing masks but most of them won't attend church due to it being not safe enough🤔

3 hours ago, Duncan said:

One thing I found odd was at the angel Moroni raising was people weren't wearing masks but most of them won't attend church due to it being not safe enough🤔

Assuming the "angel Moroni raising" you refer to was outdoors, outdoors is much safer than indoors. Especially if you're singing and spending a lot of time near people indoors.

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.04.04.20053058v1

Edited by cinepro

Our family does not do home church because most are not believing members. Our young adult son does institute and meetings via Zoom. As parents and former believers, we do understand the importance of church attendance for the overall benefit of his church experience and we try to support him. 

These are strange times and it's difficult to predict the long-term impact. 

11 hours ago, Sine Saw Square said:

(H)ow are the youth experiencing this moment? What kind of long term affect will separation from the weekly tradition of going to Church, participating in classes and programs, and regular connections have on this generation as they grow in to adulthood?

I think it largely depends on where you are and what you are doing. In our ward, for example, the youth continue to meet every Sunday and Wednesday via Zoom.

Sunday's are more of a spiritual thought / check-in with everyone kind of situation; and Wednesday's are more for fun activities - the young women did a paint-along with Bob Ross last week; much fun was had painting all those 'happy little trees.' ;) 

(W)hat lasting effects you think this current moment will have on the Church as an institution, tradition, or practice?

Not sure. In our ward, though, the combined average attendance is about the same as what it was back when everyone was coming weekly. And we've got a couple of investigators who have been coming every week.

The only thing I've been spoiled with a bit since this whole thing has been going on has been Sunday breakfast with my family. Without having to leave early for bishopric / ward counsel, we have gotten into the habit of doing 'big breakfasts' on Sunday as a family. And by 'big,' I really just mean at least a small step up from cereal (e.g., waffles, french toast, German pancakes, etc.). It's really been fun getting the extra sleep and spending a bit more time with family (breakfast is a nice perk too though).

If, post pandemic, the practice of holding leadership meetings electronically were to continue - thus continuing to free up Sunday mornings - I could find a way to live with that. ;) 

I really hope electronic leadership meetings are here to stay. I make and have my Sunday morning waffles or pancakes while they are going on and everyone is finally mastering the mute button when not speaking. My ADHD is also easier to manage because when we get to a topic that has no relevance to me and I have no input on I can shift it to the background of my brain and focus on something else while staying keyed in enough to recognize a shift or if something comes up I should say something about. For families it is an even bigger boon. Not having to drive to church to meetings and then drive home to get the kids and drive back is a big help.

I do not know if the second block will change but I hope those holding home church meetings continue to teach their families the way they are now. The common detraction is that parents who do not do this teaching will disadvantage the kids in those homes but that has always been the case and hopefully some will step up if we drop their pretext that the Church is “taking care of it”.

We are having sacrament twice a month right now. I have only attended church once since this started and it was more by accident. Got called in to help with something in office and was there when sacrament started so I stayed. I will go for the second time this Sunday but only because I am the speaker. I am a little annoyed with the people throwing off our attendance by saying they will come every week and not showing. Then again I am not sure if we invited more people that they would come and we definitely are not trying to pressure people to come if they decide that it is not worth the risk to themselves or their families.

One of my concerns is the youth. It is very difficult to hold engaging activities remotely. I have some ideas for activities with social distancing when we can meet in person but with the numbers in my area I personally don’t think we should have even started sacrament meetings again. That being said the leadership is being very cautious and conscientious about making the meetings safe.

12 hours ago, Sine Saw Square said:

Thanks! (I'm usually rather busy and don't have time to post much but I'll enjoy your answers).

As Elder Bednar pointed out, the Gathering is very much an actual phenomena, both physically and spiritually, so I would expect virtual substitutes to be the temporary exception.

https://newsroom.churchofjesuschrist.org/article/bednar-covid-19-pandemic-religious-freedom

The wake-up call that people have experienced in addition to the particular focus of this talk vary and are extremely beneficial, from personal preparedness and self-reliance to community, social and political involvement in a Christlike way for a Christ-focused purpose to personal application of technology to improved companionship of the Holy Ghost.

2 hours ago, amo said:

My 2 cents, based on our positive experience doing home church as a family.

Rethinking weekly services :
a) Shorter Sacrament meetings (30 to 45 mnts.) 
b) Home church on fifth Sundays
c) No more Sunday night Church sponsored meetings
d) Avoid / no leadership meetings on Sundays 
e) Shorter and less frequent leadership meetings (via "zoom" / phone, during week days)

I want to add one, bring back the Roadshow!! Like they once were! Too much in our church is focusing on a given, the spirit. He doesn't mind if we are having a little fun and culture as well. Before, the church knew that, but now it feels like they have to keep up with the Evangelicals or something and can't do the fun. Jesus understands He's the center. 

Roadshows get everyone involved, either by going to see them, or helping with them, or the leaders and youth participating. This can be done world wide. We need to get less correlation as well. Let the women do their thing without the PH butting in as well. Don't give up on the scouting program, replace it with something a long the same lines or something even better. And YW's as well. 

I think this is needed in order to have people want to participate again. We do love the social, but now it feels like everything needs to be tamed down. And everything spiritual or Christ centered (several people are going to think I'm a hypocrite because in the past I've said our Sacrament meetings haven't been Christ centered enough, but just trying to point to the various cultures in our wards as well). If anyone remembers the old roadshows they weren't always about the church or Gospel, they were about our culture. 

Edited by Tacenda
2 hours ago, amo said:

e) Shorter and less frequent leadership meetings (via "zoom" / phone, during week days)

I like your list AMO.

Underlying so many changes that have been made over the past few years, and even more during the last few months, there seems to be a growing acknowledgement that a lot of what is/has been done in the church is done out of tradition, expectation, practical convenience etc. Just the idea that the church could change so dramatically is a bit of a radical mindset change from where we were 5 years ago. I think people and leaders will need to grapple with the change of mindset. Church attendance and partaking of the sacrament every week? Once a month seems fine. 10 hour church days on Sundays for bishoprics? Nah, we can reduce. John and Jane haven't been to church in a couple of months? That's ok. They're making the choice that's best for their family. Many of these changes in mindset will be hard to reverse.

It has been the exception to find individuals really longing to get back to the way sunday worship was before. Most have been very satisfied and prefer the new church practices. Some of the most devout, nearly pharisaical members I know, who used to require all of their kids to stay in church dress all day, no tv, no outside time etc now have a 15 minute home church and then swim in their backyard pool and take hikes. They'll go back when church starts up again, but they aren't excited about it...at all. But they'll do it out of duty. After going back I think many people will look back at the home church and wonder why their in-church experience has to be so regimented.

I think the shift from Church as a place to go into more of a Church as a thing to do is a very positive one and I think it's going to be hard for them to go back to in-church services and actually enjoy it.

One last thought- as I've commented on here before, we haven't heard a peep from our bishopric or relief society or elders quorum leadership in months, and it's been great. I think some people will be reevaluating how much they really need the vast organization of the church when it has worked out so well in their family without the church leadership being involved. In my opinion the organization has proven to be largely unnecessary.

I’m in the ward bishopric.  Sundays were just work.  Now Sundays are a joy.  

Based on what many people I’ve talked to feel, they have realized that church offers little more than a social experience for them.  Their worship at home is superior to that at church.

I’m guessing that the long term activity rate will drop by at least 20%.

1 hour ago, HappyJackWagon said:

Some of the most devout, nearly pharisaical members I know, who used to require all of their kids to stay in church dress all day, no tv, no outside time etc now have a 15 minute home church and then swim in their backyard pool and take hikes.

While I'm not one to stay in a suit any longer than I have to, from what you've described here it's sounding like, for some people, that sabbath has become just like other days.

It has been the exception to find individuals really longing to get back to the way sunday worship was before. Most have been very satisfied and prefer the new church practices. Some of the most devout, nearly pharisaical members I know, who used to require all of their kids to stay in church dress all day, no tv, no outside time etc now have a 15 minute home church and then swim in their backyard pool and take hikes. They'll go back when church starts up again, but they aren't excited about it...at all. But they'll do it out of duty. After going back I think many people will look back at the home church and wonder why their in-church experience has to be so regimented.

Hopefully at least in regard to making the kids stay in church clothes all day without going outside this experience will help them to remove the detached tree branches from their rectums.

One last thought- as I've commented on here before, we haven't heard a peep from our bishopric or relief society or elders quorum leadership in months, and it's been great. I think some people will be reevaluating how much they really need the vast organization of the church when it has worked out so well in their family without the church leadership being involved. In my opinion the organization has proven to be largely unnecessary.

I have seen too much good done by the organization to help those in distress in this crisis to believe that is true. I guess if nothing went wrong in your own home it would be an easy conclusion to come to.

22 minutes ago, Durangout said:

Based on what many people I’ve talked to feel, they have realized that church offers little more than a social experience for them.  Their worship at home is superior to that at church.

I am a ward clerk so I am not technically in the bishopric but the bishop and his counselors here are also enjoying the reprieve. The bishop less so because welfare is eating up more of his time but he still has more now. I have also seen the 'workaholic' types in nearby wards and stakes going stir-crazy. One stake was having zoom meetings with the stake presidency, the high council, and all the Bishops twice every week going for two to three hours. When I asked someone involved in these meetings what they could possibly have to talk about that long my friend said it is mindless reports mostly. He said he waits for his turn and does something else while listening to it in the background. His only worry is they have talked about maybe wanting everyone on video in the future with the tacit expectation of church dress. I am glad I am not in those meetings. I would be tempted to wear jogging shorts and a tanktop just to see what the reaction would be and hurry my release so I no longer had to attend that meeting.

I expect a lot of the semiactive will stop coming. We might lose a few every Sunday people but I think most will return. I think a lot of the people who sort of kind of believed or just wanted to come in hopes it would help their children will vanish and I can't say I would be too sorry to see them go. I mean, I am but if your main intent in going to church is to hope others will parent your children I do wonder if it would be healthier for the family just not to come at all.

I hope we will reexamine the meeting schedules we have and "cut the fat" as we have been told to for decades now. I also hope that whatever is left of the bloc (which I do not count as 'the fat') after this will enlivened by the experiences of home church and we can bring some of that back to the chapel. My evil secret desire is that the Sunday Dress Standards will go away entirely and just be nice clothing whether that is jeans and a shirt or a full suit with no one caring what everyone else wears. I have been doing my part by dressing below, but not offensively below, the standards for years now. Hey, I can dream.

21 minutes ago, ksfisher said:

While I'm not one to stay in a suit any longer than I have to, from what you've described here it's sounding like, for some people, that sabbath has become just like other days.

Yeah, that is the drunk man riding the horse that falls off and gets back on and leans the other way to prevent a repeat and falls off the other side.

15 hours ago, Sine Saw Square said:

What I'd love to hear from you is, what lasting effects you think this current moment will have on the Church as an institution, tradition, or practice? Will we need to rethink missionary service? Weekly worship? How about this rising generation? How will they see things?

Lasting effects:  I don't know but I hope we get can continue to meet on Zoom, even if people also attend physically in the building at the same time.  I also hope we'll get better with the timing, not having our meetings so early in the morning. Some people apparently want to continue to meet at the same time we did when we met in the building, even when we're not meeting in the building.  Why not later in the mornings so everybody can sleep in on Sundays?  

I hope it helps people realize what is most important in their personal worship and helps the church realize we had too many meetings. I had always wondered how to strip the 'social' issues of church away from the spiritual and this has done it. I'm not looking forward to going back. I miss the temple far more than church. Home church has been a blessing for my family. With all that being said, we have to go back. Right now, most people in the ward know each other. I feel bad for the people who have moved in during covid who don't have 'friends' in the ward. It must be lonely moving somewhere with no church and no opportunities to get to know people.  The ward needs to meet together but it would be nice to analyze what further cuts could be made and still form the 'ties that bind' us together.

Edited by bsjkki
17 hours ago, Sine Saw Square said:

Hi all, I mostly lurk and read what more learned people have to say. I'd love to know what you all think about this:

For close to 6 months now the entire Church population (at least in the USA) has effectively been 'inactive'. I know I know, home-centered worship and all that. It's great! Which actually is part of what I'm wondering. The few people with kids, that I've talked to about 'home church' have mostly had positive experiences. My brother, who's a bishop, has enjoyed the extra time at home and the convenience of meeting remotely, for example. I've found it similarly pleasant. My family has had some profound Sunday experiences. We do Come Follow Me almost every night which is almost like a nightly FHE.  I know there are others who don't have that kind of experience. They might be isolated and alone, or have unstable family situations, and so on.  But we're all experiencing something unique in our "regular" Church lives.

Building on that thought, how are the youth experiencing this moment? What kind of long term affect will separation from the weekly tradition of going to Church, participating in classes and programs, and regular connections have on this generation as they grow in to adulthood? How will they view weekly attendance?  Will they think it unsafe? Will they view it as necessary in some fundamental way?  I think my kids will look back with fondness on the time we've been able to grow closer together. What will that memory do to their view of being active?

Lastly, Missionary service. I really feel for the missionaries in our ward. They are very limited in what activities they can do. Our sisters are even teaching someone in another country over video conferencing. In someways they have become a charity for the ward members to support with increased requests to host the missionaries for porch-visits or 'drive by prayers' in the Stake Center parking lot. I imagine how tough that would be on my mission if I couldn't go to someone's house to teach a lesson, tract or even go street contacting. It seems like missions right now aren't really working. I know of young people who want to serve a mission, but don't want to serve THIS kind of mission with home-mtc, and being isolated in an apartment somewhere.

So far I believe the Church's response has been very competent. A lot of changes happened just in time helping is better cope with the current moment. That certainly seems inspired.  (Scouts, Come Follow Me, Home centered gospel, etc). 

October 2020 general conference: Here’s what we know

At least for now General Conference will be televised and no live audiences. Could happen again for the April 2021. Who knows after that?

3 hours ago, HappyJackWagon said:

I think the shift from Church as a place to go into more of a Church as a thing to do is a very positive one and I think it's going to be hard for them to go back to in-church services and actually enjoy it.

Seems a bit sad that not hearing from your leadership has "been great".  Seems like Church involvement should be an energizing, voluntarily, positive experience. If not then maybe we need to change the way we're approaching it?  This point in history might be presenting us with such an opportunity. It could be an excuse to get lazy and coast. Maybe it exposes our disinterest?. For those who wish to maximize their engagement with their Church family, maybe it's a chance to explore how to be most effective and efficient and rethink past assumptions? 

It sounds like the remote leadership/planning meetings have been pretty positive for most people experiencing them. I wonder if those will actually stick around? I know in my day job we are now working 100% remote and the big revelation for many of my co-workers is that they like it.  I think Church worship and social activities need an in person component though. 

It seems that by atomizing worship to individual households we'll get a greater spread of outcomes. I wonder what effect that will have down the road. With the atomization perhaps new best practices will emerge?

Edited by Sine Saw Square
20 minutes ago, bsjkki said:

I hope it helps people realize what is most important in their personal worship and helps the church realize we had too many meetings. I had always wondered how to strip the 'social' issues of church away from the spiritual and this has done it. I'm not looking forward to going back. I miss the temple far more church. Home church has been a blessing for my family. Will all that being said, we have to go back. Right now, most people in the ward know each other. I feel bad for the people who have moved in during covid who don't have 'friends' in the ward. It must be lonely moving somewhere with no church and no opportunities to get to know people.  The ward needs to meet together but it would be nice to analyze what further cuts could be made and still form the 'ties that bind' us together.

Social community is a massive need imo. It may be better to focus on developing friendships during the time together rather than having lessons that cover what should be personally studied.  More Sunday pot luck dinners rather than leadership meetings, for example. But to be a faith community, one needs to speak of faith with each other, so testimony meetings and Sacrament meetings are essential, imo. And some exploration of faith in smaller groups to allow participation with each other is needed, especially for youth imo.  

Edited by Calm
6 hours ago, amo said:

We've already reduced Sunday services to two hours.  I think we should give that program more time to see how it pans out.

There are a lot of people who very much enjoy Sunday services, and the opportunities to socialize with friends and fellow believers. 

6 hours ago, amo said:

An interesting idea.

6 hours ago, amo said:

I dunno.  We have 1-3 such meetings per quarter.  That doesn't seem like a lot.  And again, a lot of people appreciate and value firesides, etc.

6 hours ago, amo said:

This kind of puts a strain on local leaders, particularly the bishopric.  Our ward is quite good at keeping these meetings efficient and as brief as possible.

6 hours ago, amo said:

I think ward council meetings need to stay on Sunday (though I'm not sure this is a rule).  That way we maximize the number of people who can attend.

The length and frequency of meetings seem to vary from place to place.  Our ward's meetings are quite succinct and effective.  Very little time wasted.

Thanks,

-Smac

3 minutes ago, Calm said:

Social community is a massive need imo. It may be better to focus on developing friendships during the time together rather than having lessons that cover what should be personally studied.  More Sunday pot luck dinners rather than leadership meetings, for example. But to be a faith community, one needs to speak of faith with each other, so testimony meetings and Sacrament meetings are essential, imo. And some exploration of faith in smaller groups to allow participation with each other is needed, especially for youth imo.  

On Sundays we're asked to put aside our labors and do the Lord's work.  He promises to help us with that work, but it still is work.

I suspect for some people (not all) this has just been a 4 or 5 month vacation from that sort of work.

4 hours ago, Tacenda said:

I want to add one, bring back the Roadshow!! Like they once were! Too much in our church is focusing on a given, the spirit. He doesn't mind if we are having a little fun and culture as well. Before, the church knew that, but now it feels like they have to keep up with the Evangelicals or something and can't do the fun. Jesus understands He's the center. 

Roadshows get everyone involved, either by going to see them, or helping with them, or the leaders and youth participating. This can be done world wide. We need to get less correlation as well. Let the women do their thing without the PH butting in as well. Don't give up on the scouting program, replace it with something a long the same lines or something even better. And YW's as well. 

I think this is needed in order to have people want to participate again. We do love the social, but now it feels like everything needs to be tamed down. And everything spiritual or Christ centered (several people are going to think I'm a hypocrite because in the past I've said our Sacrament meetings haven't been Christ centered enough, but just trying to point to the various cultures in our wards as well). If anyone remembers the old roadshows they weren't always about the church or Gospel, they were about our culture. 

Tacenda, I completely agree with you.   The Roadshows of my past were fantastic fun entertainment and contributed to a culture of social Communion.  Our church has evolved more and more into a drab culture of boredom.  The focus is on meetings, meetings, meetings and attorneys, attorneys, attorneys.  Do you remember when you could actually cook meals in the church? I do.  Now the big kitchens are just for warming up food.  The church of my youth was like a present wrapped in glittery, beautiful paper.  Today, the present is wrapped in thin, brown cardboard.

Edited by 2BizE
2 minutes ago, 2BizE said:

Tacenda, I completely agree with you.   The Roadshows of my past were fantastic fun entertainment and contributed to a culture of social Communion.  Our church has evolved more and more into a drab culture of boredom.  The focus is on meetings, meetings, meetings and attorneys, attorneys, attorneys.  Do you remember when you could actually cook meals in the church? I do.  Now the big kitchen are just for warming up food.  The church of my your was like a present wrapped in glittery, beautiful paper.  Today, the present is wrapped in thin, brown cardboard.

A big thumbs up! And I think the social, good old days ways, probably brought in a lot of inactives or nonmembers. 

2 hours ago, Durangout said:

I spent 8+ years in our ward's bishopric.  Yes, there were often long hours.  But Sunday was still quite a joy.

I enjoy recent Sundays as well.  However, I miss the society and camaraderie of the other members of our ward.  It's hard to built a community of faith when the community doesn't interact much.

I think each has its strengths.  

That could well be.  That will be unfortunate, but understandable.  But for the covenants, and for finding far more that just "a social experience" in the Church, I probably would drift into inactivity.  We live in an era in which there are all sorts of ways to fill our time.  Some are healthy and productive, some are a bit frivolous or self-indulgent, some are a waste of time, some a destructive and toxic.  Lots of distractions.  All the more reason to remember and keep the covenants we have made.

D&C 59 comes to mind:

9 And that thou mayest more fully keep thyself unspotted from the world, thou shalt go to the house of prayer and offer up thy sacraments upon my holy day;
10 For verily this is a day appointed unto you to rest from your labors, and to pay thy devotions unto the Most High.

The shift to "home-centered, church-supported" worship is ongoing.  I'm not sure that shift will entail a wholesale cancellation of Sunday services, though.

Home-centered-Church-supported-1-534x700

The "church-supported" part is not going away, I think.  We are a community of faith.  We need to be around each other.

Thanks,

-Smac

Edited by smac97
16 minutes ago, ksfisher said:

On Sundays we're asked to put aside our labors and do the Lord's work.  He promises to help us with that work, but it still is work.

I suspect for some people (not all) this has just been a 4 or 5 month vacation from that sort of work.

What is the Lord’s work and how is it best accomplished?  Imo, when it comes to fellow adult members, it is to a great extent serving those who mourn, etc. This is best done through deeper friendships rather than sincere, but shallow acquaintances.

Teaching youth and investigators and new members is also the Lord’s work. I am not sure adults sitting in class always is though. 

I would love to see more service projects for the ward as a whole as well as smaller groups, possibly even working at tailor making them for those who have a problem with getting involved generally. 

Edited by Calm