Seriously No Politics ×

Anybody Seriously Into the Study of Apocalyptic Prophecy?

gav

I guess, for starters, has anybody read Sir Isaac Newtons "Observations upon the Prophecies of Daniel, and the Apocalypse of St. John"? and has some opinions they could share?

2 hours ago, gav said:

I guess, for starters, has anybody read Sir Isaac Newtons "Observations upon the Prophecies of Daniel, and the Apocalypse of St. John"? and has some opinions they could share?

Wouldn't that be like giving the time of day to Archbishop Ussher?  I would instead suggest reading the Anchor Bible volumes Daniel and Revelation.

1 hour ago, Robert F. Smith said:

Wouldn't that be like giving the time of day to Archbishop Ussher?  I would instead suggest reading the Anchor Bible volumes Daniel and Revelation.

I wouldn't place Archbishop Ussher in the same category as Newton. On what basis would you? 

I searched your screen name and couldn't find anything in the way of an introductory post.  It would help to know something of your background to know from what perspective you approach the matter (e.g., whether you are a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints or whether, if not, you are interested in learning more about the "End Times" paradigm of the Church of Jesus Christ.  If I were to assume, I would assume, based on the works you have mentioned, that, indeed, you are not a member of the Church of Jesus Christ.  However, you know what they say about what assuming does: It makes a you-know-what out of you and me! :D;) )

If, indeed, you are interested in learning what the Church of Jesus Christ specifically has taught with respect to "End Times" (after all, it is the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints), here are some resources you might find interesting:

http://ldslastdays.com/

https://www.amazon.com/Living-Eleventh-Hour-Preparing-Glorious/dp/1609074092

https://www.amazon.com/Behold-Come-Quickly-Last-Beyond/dp/0875798659

From the perspective of (a) member(s) of the Church of Jesus Christ, these'll probably be good for starters.

1 hour ago, The Nehor said:

I was once but when my calculated date of the Second Coming passed about 8 years ago without a peep I lost interest. Well truthfully I lost interest even before that and was almost certain I was wrong years before but that kind of capped it off.

Come on, Dude!  Don't give up!  Never say "Die!"  You're s'posta start entire organizations around your own idiosyncratic end-times beliefs, and write books and hold conferences!  It's a great way to make a living ... until your "followers" lose interest after the latest failed "prophecy."  You could start rating your followers "Light/Dark" and "Zombies/Unzombies" and the whole bit! ;)

42 minutes ago, Kenngo1969 said:

I searched your screen name and couldn't find anything in the way of an introductory post.  It would help to know something of your background to know from what perspective you approach the matter (e.g., whether you are a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints or whether, if not, you are interested in learning more about the "End Times" paradigm of the Church of Jesus Christ.  If I were to assume, I would assume, based on the works you have mentioned, that, indeed, you are not a member of the Church of Jesus Christ.  However, you know what they say about what assuming does: It makes a you-know-what out of you and me! :D;) )

Sorry, not done an intro, not sure of the customs and protocols around here yet. 

I am long time member and have spent the last couple of years cycling back and forth through Daniel and Revelation noting how they draw from virtually all major scriptural themes and tie them all neatly together. I'm looking for some solid discussions/criticisms of some of the threads that have emerged.

1 hour ago, Kenngo1969 said:

Come on, Dude!  Don't give up!  Never say "Die!"  You're s'posta start entire organizations around your own idiosyncratic end-times beliefs, and write books and hold conferences!  It's a great way to make a living ... until your "followers" lose interest after the latest failed "prophecy."  You could start rating your followers "Light/Dark" and "Zombies/Unzombies" and the whole bit! ;)

Meh, too much work. I don't have the relentless and unquestioning self-confidence required to be a huckster.

3 hours ago, gav said:

Sorry, not done an intro, not sure of the customs and protocols around here yet. 

I am long time member and have spent the last couple of years cycling back and forth through Daniel and Revelation noting how they draw from virtually all major scriptural themes and tie them all neatly together. I'm looking for some solid discussions/criticisms of some of the threads that have emerged.

In-tuh-westing!  Vewy, vewy in-tuh-westing!  Have you written anything down on the subject?  If so, would you mind sharing?

19 hours ago, Kenngo1969 said:

In-tuh-westing!  Vewy, vewy in-tuh-westing!  Have you written anything down on the subject?  If so, would you mind sharing?

I guess you could call it that.

Yes, am readying some material for publishing and so think it will be beneficial for some of the assumptions and arguments to get a little airing to test their soundness. They seem compelling to me but often there are aspects that need sharpening and strengthening which independent eyes will likely point out.

42 minutes ago, gav said:

I guess you could call it that.

Yes, am readying some material for publishing and so think it will be beneficial for some of the assumptions and arguments to get a little airing to test their soundness. They seem compelling to me but often there are aspects that need sharpening and strengthening which independent eyes will likely point out.

Cool! B:):good: So, you're thinking of sharing it here, perhaps?

22 hours ago, The Nehor said:

Meh, too much work. ...

Nothing good comes without effort! ;)

1 hour ago, Kenngo1969 said:

Cool! B:):good: So, you're thinking of sharing it here, perhaps?

From my lurking it seems like I will get plenty of robust critique 💣of the principles here