Seriously No Politics ×

The Great Plan of Salvation

On 8/2/2020 at 2:01 PM, OGHoosier said:

Adam and Eve, being human beings, sinned, just like the rest of us

I found a mention in one of our church manuals

https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/study/manual/new-testament-student-manual/philippians-and-colossians/chapter-45-philippians-and-colossians?lang=eng

"Jesus Christ is the Only Begotten Son of God the Eternal Father. He is our Creator. 
He is our Teacher. He is our Savior. His atonement paid for the sin of Adam and won 
victory over death, assuring resurrection and immortality for all men"

What specific sin of Adam?  Why no reference to Eve's sin?

4 hours ago, Ahab said:

We are also told that while it will be more difficult to repent of some sins when we die and are then in the spirit world, it will still be possible to repent of every bad thing that we have ever done.

Told where? Then why believe and endure to the end in this life if I can live as I please now and repent in the next?

Edited by Islander
1 hour ago, TheTanakas said:

I found a mention in one of our church manuals

https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/study/manual/new-testament-student-manual/philippians-and-colossians/chapter-45-philippians-and-colossians?lang=eng

"Jesus Christ is the Only Begotten Son of God the Eternal Father. He is our Creator. 
He is our Teacher. He is our Savior. His atonement paid for the sin of Adam and won 
victory over death, assuring resurrection and immortality for all men"

What specific sin of Adam?  Why no reference to Eve's sin?

Adam ate of the fruit and thus became mortal. The sin of disobedience. Death came to the human race because of the fall of Adam (and Eve). Its generic. "Mankind" also include "womenkind"

On 8/2/2020 at 1:52 PM, TheTanakas said:

My family and I have been reading this manual for the last few weeks.

https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/study/manual/come-follow-me-for-individuals-and-families-book-of-mormon-2020/intro?lang=eng

I had a question on these passages.

256 - Corianton believed that punishment for sins was not fair (see Alma 42:1). But 
Alma taught that there is a way to escape from the "state of misery" that sin puts us 
in.

What sin put Adam and Eve in their state of misery?

258 - How can we use our "probationary time" on earth to become more like the Savior?

Why isn't the spirit world considered a probationary time to become like Jesus when
they can accept ordinances performed for them?

Peter

Seems to me that some of Nehor's and Korihor's teachings or implications or inferences were absorbed by Corianton as well as others. 

Adam and Eve committed a transgression (breaking a temporary rule) which brought forth mankind.

I believe the state of misery is the state where the sinner feels the guilt, remorse, and anguish for his/her actions - prior to repentance. If they choose not to repent, that state of misery lasts longer.

The spirit world is a probationary time it's just Alma 40:11 - same spirit that possesses our body will possess our spirit - same strengths, weaknesses, habits, etc. also for a son of a prophet, Corianton here, he likley heard the gospel preached during mortality so I'm not sure if his time in the spirit world woudl be the same as those who never heard the good word.

I remember reading somewhere, probably Journal of DIscourses that eternal progression might not be limited to one kingdom but as that woudl likley make all of us put off repentance, it's not a doctrine

2 hours ago, TheTanakas said:

Hi.  Those are the page numbers.

Page numbers to what?  The link provided in the OP has a downloadable PDF file and both of the questions in the OP appear on page 120 of that manual (page 127 of the PDF document).   You have "256 - Corianton believed....", and "258 - How can we use..." , and the very last numbered page of the manual is 211.

Edited by InCognitus
22 hours ago, InCognitus said:

Page numbers to what?  The link provided in the OP has a downloadable PDF file and both of the questions in the OP appear on page 120 of that manual (page 127 of the PDF document).   You have "256 - Corianton believed....", and "258 - How can we use..." , and the very last numbered page of the manual is 211.

Here is the correct link

https://media.ldscdn.org/pdf/manuals/come-follow-me-for-individuals-and-families-book-of-mormon-2020/individuals-and-families-book-of-mormon-2020-large-print-eng.pdf