Seriously No Politics ×

First Official Church History Since Bh Roberts?

The Saints series of books is billed as The first official church history since the multi-volume BH Roberts effort. Why isn’t “The Story of the Latter-day Saints” considered official? It was produced by the Church History Department under Leonard Arrington.

Edited by Bede

Is it billed as the first official history since B.H. Roberts's effort, or the first official multi-volume history since Elder Roberts's effort?  While, as you point out, it may not be the first, it is the second.  Bro. Arrington's work is a single-volume work.

Edited by Kenngo1969
28 minutes ago, Bede said:

It said first official history, not multi volume.

Okay.  My mistake.

The Story of the Latter Day Saints is a very well written volume and had a good balance between faith and historical points.  James Allen and Glen Leonard wrote it.  I had a discussion with Glen Leonard about it years ago.  It just wasn`t an official history despite being written by LDS historians employed by the Church.  The Mormon Experience written by Leonard Arrington and Davis Bitton was published by a secular publisher.  Also well written and worth reading, but still not an official history.  The Church did not put their official approval for those two books like they have for Saints.  That makes Saints a momentous event. 

39 minutes ago, Bede said:

You know what, @Kenngo1969? I think your right.

Well, there's a first time for everything! ;):D

1 hour ago, Bede said:

I see, thanks @readstoomuch. I know where I saw that it’s the first official history since BH Roberts. The Tribune, which I admit is not gospel.

I don't believe it was ever offered through Church Distribution, as the "official" books I was aware of when ward librarian were.  There was a significant limitation on what was to be made available through the building library and outside a dictionary, nonofficial books were not part of that.

On 7/30/2020 at 11:17 AM, JamesBYoung said:

We had Fawn McKay Brodie's No Man Knows My History in the Institute Library at USU.

USU would. :rolleyes:

I seem to remember using  a book called the story of the latter-day saints in early morning seminary when we studied church history?   It has a sl temple photo on the cover?   Is that the book to which you are referring?

1 hour ago, rpn said:

I seem to remember using  a book called the story of the latter-day saints in early morning seminary when we studied church history?   It has a sl temple photo on the cover?   Is that the book to which you are referring?

You may be thinking of The Restored Church, by William Edwin Berrett (it was the church history manual I used in Seminary):

91qcjPQLHsL.jpg

Edited by InCognitus
On 8/1/2020 at 7:44 AM, JamesBYoung said:

Of course, because as the Institute instructors would say, the beating heart of the true gospel of Jesus Christ rests in Cache Valley. :)

That's true, but I doubt seriously that Ms. Brodie or her work had anything to do with it! :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, JamesBYoung said:

My -------, who knew her, said she was bent out of shape for being ex'd.  I am sure chewing out her Uncle David did not help.

Hmm.  Interesting.  Ultimately, God is in charge of the fate of our immortal souls. :)