Seriously No Politics ×

Salt Lake Temple Time Capsule Opened

Very cool.  I had a few ancestors that were there.  Too bad they didn't know about the water seeping from the concrete effect. I wonder how well things are protected that go into cap or cornerstones nowadays? Will they last more than a hundred years? 

10 minutes ago, JAHS said:

Very cool.  I had a few ancestors that were there.  Too bad they didn't know about the water seeping from the concrete effect. I wonder how well things are protected that go into cap or cornerstones nowadays? Will they last more than a hundred years? 

I am going to be involved in the corner stone ceremony of our local Temple in the next couple of months, so I will get back to you!

18 hours ago, JAHS said:

If they are protected as well as the Dead Sea Scrolls, then yes.

On 7/29/2020 at 2:33 PM, JAHS said:

I’ve been present on one or two occasions when items were placed in a container pursuant to the temple cornerstone ceremony the next day. My memory is hazy, but I seem to remember a metal box being sealed with caulking after the items were placed in it. 

The procedure is more or less standard for all temples these days as per the Church’s Temple Department.