Sign in to follow this  
MorningStar

A Tender Mercy Before Our Son Left for Boot Camp

:friends:♥️ :good:

• Like 1

15 hours ago, MorningStar said:

One of my best friends called today and I cried as I told her this story. Our son decided to join the Army and it was something we debated with him all year as he tried to get us to sign while he was still 17. We felt like he needed to think it over more, especially since there were some big trials going on for him. Then the pandemic hit and I was feeling even less inclined to sign anything. Finally a month before he was to turn 18, we signed the papers because he wasn't changing his mind and he needed to move forward in life. He had no luck getting a job here and I don't understand why. He was kind of living in limbo during this lockdown. The recruiter made it sound like it would take months before he went to boot camp, but then he came home and told us he as leaving in just a couple weeks! I was heartbroken because I thought we had one more birthday with him and I felt like there wouldn't be any time for him to have his patriarchal blessing, which was not allowed until just a week ago. Our bishop was out of town and there were so many things we needed to do before he left. 

I broke down crying as I talked to my husband about it,.............................

I joined the Marine Corps at age 17.  My Dad signed my permission without arguing with me, and I appreciated his respect for my decision.  The whole family came to see me graduate several months later, and my Dad was smiling.  The Marine Corps took good care of me, and the guys in the barracks were like a band of brothers to me.  You needn't worry, MorningStar.  Your son is in good hands.

Here is a photo of me with my Dad and my sister at the Marine Corps Recruit Depot San Diego.

image.thumb.jpeg.c606ec390a1da20d102d931bfc2f63f6.jpeg

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Robert F. Smith said:

I joined the Marine Corps at age 17.  My Dad signed my permission without arguing with me, and I appreciated his respect for my decision.  The whole family came to see me graduate several months later, and my Dad was smiling.  The Marine Corps took good care of me, and the guys in the barracks were like a band of brothers to me.  You needn't worry, MorningStar.  Your son is in good hands.

Here is a photo of me with my Dad and my sister at the Marine Corps Recruit Depot San Diego.

image.thumb.jpeg.c606ec390a1da20d102d931bfc2f63f6.jpeg

What a great photo! 

• Like 3

MorningStar,

I want to thank you and your Husband for raising a Son who is willing and eager to serve his Country!  On behalf of my Wife, 6 Kids and 24 Grandchildren...we ALL thank your family for your selflessness and service in keeping us, and our Country FREE and SAFE!    He will be joining a "Band of Brothers" that will last forever!  That Brotherhood and Bond survives through all generations, through all cultures...it is truly unbreakable.  As a USAF Veteran...I salute your Son and your family!  Welcome to the Family!  We love you!   Your Son will be took care of well!   Thank You!

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

Blessings on your son, MorningStar, and you and all of your family.

His willingness to serve his country sets him apart as admirable among his comrades, and I honor his coming service.

I served many years on active duty, and I did not have a PB when I enlisted.  I wish I had, because it would have been both comfort and guide to me.

Be sure and attend is graduation from Basic.  The experience was memorable for me, and I wish my Dad and my Mom had been there to see what the experience had done for me.

Never have I regretted serving my country.  So what if I ache most mornings when I get up.  That's part of the price for the honor of serving.

GodSpeed your son.

Edited by JamesBYoung
  • Like 4

I am glad that got resolved, he will be able to see and experience such great things in the Army. It was so long ago, but the things I got to see and experience changed my life forever. In fact it was while I was stationed in Germany in the late 70’s, early 80’s, where my wife and I found the Church, and were sealed in the Swiss Temple in 1981. 

Go Army! 

• Like 3

Let no tears add to their hardship

As the soldiers march along

And although your heart is breaking

Make it sing this cheery song:

• Like 2

Thank you, everyone! Still waiting for my first letter from him! :D 

• Like 2

Wow! So please tell us what MOS he signed up for! You know, occupational specialty.

I'm an 8 year veteran, started out in the infantry, transitioned to field artillery, and finished as an electronics tech.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Stargazer said:

Wow! So please tell us what MOS he signed up for! You know, occupational specialty.

I'm an 8 year veteran, started out in the infantry, transitioned to field artillery, and finished as an electronics tech.

That's awesome! He's in 19D. 

• Like 1

One-niner Delta, for the uninitiated, is "Cavalry Scout."  (At least, it is if the source I just consulted is correct. :D) * Continuing blessings upon you, upon your son, and upon your family, MorningStar.  Godspeed. :)

https://www.goarmy.com/careers-and-jobs/browse-career-and-job-categories/combat/cavalry-scout.html

* If it's not correct, blame the United States Army. ;)

P.S.: My daddy was Thirty-one Bravo, just for the record.  Did two tours.  Back then, one could either choose what he wanted to do and enlist, or he could wait to get drafted, in which case he was at the mercy of the gub-munt with respect to both of those choices.  His choice was based on which MOS had the coolest uniforms.  He always said, "I didn't join the Army to be a soldier, I joined the Army to be a cop!"  Had a 43-year-career (not quite ten in the Army, thirty-plus in civilian law enforcement) based on how cool the uniform looked. ;) :D

Edited by Kenngo1969
  • Like 2

Cavalry Scout.  That's cool.  I served at 1st Cav HQs for a number of years at Fort Hood.

image.jpeg.d8ed3bdc767284c54bbbfb8705e10ec8.jpeg

Edited by JamesBYoung