JLHPROF

Dc 77 - do We as Members Believe it?

9 minutes ago, JLHPROF said:

“The book of Revelation is one of the plainest books God ever caused to be written.” - Joseph Smith

It's plain to those with the spirit of prophecy and revelation. That doesn't mean it isn't packed with symbolism. 

• Like 1

On 8/2/2020 at 1:28 PM, JLHPROF said:

“The book of Revelation is one of the plainest books God ever caused to be written.” - Joseph Smith

Yeah, but we tend to focus on the parts that are least plain. The message is easy to get. Those who want to update their prophecy calendars and timelines are the ones that end up stumped.

• Like 2

On 8/2/2020 at 11:38 AM, OGHoosier said:

It's plain to those with the spirit of prophecy and revelation. That doesn't mean it isn't packed with symbolism. 

Since language itself is symbolic, it is reasonable for some with that spirit to see it as "literal". ;)

For some, all text is metaphor, since none of it refers to reality as it "really is." ;)

Edited by mfbukowski

2 hours ago, The Nehor said:

Yeah, but we tend to focus on the parts that are least plain. The message is easy to get. Those who want to update their prophecy calendars and timelines are the ones that end up stumped.

Well put! Apocalyptic prophesy great for identifying and applying to events that have already transpired but the moment you put it next to your crystal ball the ground becomes unstable.

9 minutes ago, gav said:

Well put! Apocalyptic prophesy great for identifying and applying to events that have already transpired but the moment you put it next to your crystal ball the ground becomes unstable.

While a valuable part of apocalyptic prophecy is the ability to see the hand of God in events I think the more important purpose is to lend comfort to the afflicted that one day things will be made right. You may not live to see it but you will be there anyways. I think the saints of our church who have endured substantial persecution and threats have probably understood it the best in the same way the people of the seven churches did. Then again we have the promise that a future generation would understand the book better. I have my doubts about it being this generation.

That said I have already tried to fit Covid into Revelation so I do not completely discount the other practice. I do it more for fun and take it with a grain of salt and look askance at anyone who claims that their interpretation is completely accurate. Unfortunately Covid does not generally torment people for five months so it is not the locusts though there are some horrifying stories of people seeking death and being unable to find it. Unless it really gets cracking it is unlikely to kill a third of the population so it is not the horseman. Unless we find that it came on a meteor it is probably not wormwood either. This isn't working at all. :( 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, The Nehor said:

That said I have already tried to fit Covid into Revelation so I do not completely discount the other practice. I do it more for fun and take it with a grain of salt and look askance at anyone who claims that their interpretation is completely accurate. Unfortunately Covid does not generally torment people for five months so it is not the locusts though there are some horrifying stories of people seeking death and being unable to find it. Unless it really gets cracking it is unlikely to kill a third of the population so it is not the horseman. Unless we find that it came on a meteor it is probably not wormwood either. This isn't working at all. :( 

Revelation16:13 And I saw three unclean spirits like frogs come out of the mouth of the dragon, and out of the mouth of the beast, and out of the mouth of the false prophet.
14 For they are the spirits of devils, working miracles, which go forth unto the kings of the earth and of the whole world, to gather them to the battle of that great day of God Almighty.

unclean = contagious
spirits = Greek (pneumas) literal - blast of air, wind (since these come out of the mouth, coughs or sneezes)
frogs = only other biblical mentions relate to plagues of Egypt

Covid is a highly contagious oral plague.

Mouth of Dragon - First major epicentre was China (the most ancient land of the dragon)
Mouth of Beast - Second major epicentre was Italy and then the whole of western Europe (seven heads of the beast is seven hills of Rome and ten horns are kingdoms of Western Europe the vestiges of the Latin Roman Empire)
Mouth of the false Prophet - who was the third and continues to be the largest epicentre? Who does that mean is the the False Prophet and why?

This being the six vial of Revelations that would put us extremely late in the day... with pretty much only the fall of Babylon and "gather them to the battle of that great day of God Almighty."

The fall of Babylon was precipitated by these events described in the previous verse:
"12 And the sixth angel poured out his vial upon the great river Euphrates; and the water thereof was dried up, that the way of the kings of the east might be prepared."

Covid has already wreaked global economic devastation and we are still in the beginning of it.

4 hours ago, The Nehor said:

While a valuable part of apocalyptic prophecy is the ability to see the hand of God in events I think the more important purpose is to lend comfort to the afflicted that one day things will be made right. You may not live to see it but you will be there anyways. I think the saints of our church who have endured substantial persecution and threats have probably understood it the best in the same way the people of the seven churches did. Then again we have the promise that a future generation would understand the book better. I have my doubts about it being this generation.

I do too but then again I have a granddaughter coming and we may see it happen while I am still mortal. 

2 hours ago, Ahab said:

I do too but then again I have a granddaughter coming and we may see it happen while I am still mortal. 

If so, these are going to be some crazy years coming up. Then again, we're pretty sure they will be anyway. 

On 7/28/2020 at 12:41 PM, Robert F. Smith said:

Well, at least we know that Chad Daybell wasn't quite on the mark.  His July 22 Doomsday came and went last week with little to show for it. Was his math wrong?  By how much?

I don't know...July 22nd looked pretty Doomdayish for Daybell...I'd say he hit a bullseye.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Fair Dinkum said:

I don't know...July 22nd looked pretty Doomdayish for Daybell...I'd say he hit a bullseye.

Today is more so for him as he is bound over for arraignment.

• Like 1