Sign in to follow this  
LoudmouthMormon

Any Violence in Your Neck of the Woods?

1 minute ago, Bernard Gui said:

Yep. That's what Seattle and Portland have become. The lawlessness follows just as sure as night follows day. That's why I said it's coming your way. It's spreading from Seattle into the suburbs such as DesMoines, Kent, Auburn, Burien, Federal Way, and others. In the last 2 months there were three multiple victim shootings in Kent/Federal Way where my SIL lives. For a month FW businesses closed at 6pm in fear that the rioters would show up as they threatened to do. That's one town away from us.

I don't live in BC!!!! I live really east of it! Mountains creep me out

2 minutes ago, Bernard Gui said:

They most emphatically did not get out. They still play cricket, for crying out loud. One of the greatest blessings of our Revolution, I reckon.

Huh, you know, that is a puzzler. I am a game-oriented person. I have played literally thousands of games. I have designed several and have participated in the design of about a dozen extant ones. I have played games with 100 page rulebooks and understand them and play them well and have even helped edit them and find loopholes. I am no stranger to complex or unintuitive games.

I have read the rules for Cricket. I have watched it played. I have had people explain it to me. I still do not get Cricket. There is something unsettling and wrong about it.

I am admitting it. You are right. The cost of the Revolution was worth it to dodge that bullet.

• Like 2

Just now, Duncan said:

I don't live in BC!!!! I live really east of it! Mountains creep me out

But the mountains are firm around us! Stalwart and brave they stand. Are you a Plainsman?

5 minutes ago, Duncan said:

Canadians play cricket? not that i've ever seen or heard!

Oh great. He was wrong? I have to write another apology to the Queen for yet another incident of lese majeste? She is probably getting sick of hearing from me.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, The Nehor said:

Huh, you know, that is a puzzler. I am a game-oriented person. I have played literally thousands of games. I have designed several and have participated in the design of about a dozen extant ones. I have played games with 100 page rulebooks and understand them and play them well and have even helped edit them and find loopholes. I am no stranger to complex or unintuitive games.

I have read the rules for Cricket. I have watched it played. I have had people explain it to me. I still do not get Cricket. There is something unsettling and wrong about it.

I am admitting it. You are right. The cost of the Revolution was worth it to dodge that bullet.

We lived in Australia for a year. They tried to teach us how to play cricket. Every time I hit the ball, I headed off for first base, much to the amusement of the Aussies. Lots of scorn was heaped, but I reminded them that we kicked the Poms out and therefore did not have to play their dumb game. Listening to sports reports on the news, I had absolutely no idea what the heck they were talking about when a cricket game was reported. They might as well have been speaking Klingon. 

Edited by Bernard Gui
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, The Nehor said:

Oh great. He was wrong? I have to write another apology to the Queen for yet another incident of lese majeste? She is probably getting sick of hearing from me.

she's over 90 so write quick!

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, The Nehor said:

Well, maybe they aren't very good? I have no idea.

https://cricketcanada.org

And now they want to inflict it on the lady Canadians. https://cricketcanada.org/news-single?nid=123

Go Cricket! Go Canada! Oh, Cricket! Oh, Canada!

AND....they play lawn bowls in the Commonwealth Games!!! Crivens!

Edited by Bernard Gui
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Duncan said:

Plain as white bread! It gets so cold here that you hope for heated arguments with people

But I don't think I have ever seen as spectacular a scene as the Canadian Rockies rising out of the plains. That was breathtaking. We did a drive through the Rockies a couple of years ago from Vancouver to Banffffff. After a while I got tired of saying Oooooohhh, Aaaaahhhhh.

Edited by Bernard Gui
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Bernard Gui said:

But I don't think I have ever seen as spectacular a scene as the Canadian Rockies rising out of the plains. That was breathtaking. We did a drive through the Rockies a couple of years ago from Vancouver to Banffffff. After a while I got tired of saying Oooooohhh, Aaaaahhhhh.

yeah!

25 minutes ago, Bernard Gui said:

Well, maybe they aren't very good? I have no idea.

https://cricketcanada.org

And now they want to inflict it on the lady Canadians. https://cricketcanada.org/news-single?nid=123

Go Cricket! Go Canada! Oh, Cricket! Oh, Canada!

AND....they play lawn bowls in the Commonwealth Games!!! Crivens!

More than balanced out by lacrosse and hockey.

Three guesses as to what is Canada's national sport. No fair googling ! 

45 minutes ago, Duncan said:

its well known that Vanc. is drug heaven

Denver keeps trying to pass safe injection sites. So far, it has been successfully fought off after people take a tour of Vancouver, Seattle and  and Portland.

• Like 3

Two cops shot last night. Protester set fire and vandalized a municipal center. Tonight, antics are supposed to pop up by the Federal Court house. We shall see if that happens.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, strappinglad said:

Three guesses as to what is Canada's national sport. No fair googling ! 

Mumblypeg???

3 minutes ago, bsjkki said:

Two cops shot last night. Protester set fire and vandalized a municipal center. Tonight, antics are supposed to pop up by the Federal Court house. We shall see if that happens.

Dang! Where are  you?

6 minutes ago, bsjkki said:

Denver keeps trying to pass safe injection sites. So far, it has been successfully fought off after people take a tour of Vancouver, Seattle and  and Portland.

On paper it sounds good. In practice, it's a disaster.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, Bernard Gui said:

On paper it sounds good. In practice, it's a disaster.

It is, imo, another one of those “common sense” that isn’t that sensible after all. 

It appears they have good records of saving lives at the sites. Vancouver’s first site did excellent work until it didn’t and they had to add 7 or 8 sites apparently and create a new tax for the purpose of funding them. Why the need to add so many in just a few years if it wasn’t increasing usage I am wondering. 

There is a study from 2014 that suggests crime does not increase in the local community. I am trying to find something more recent as it appears your experience differs.

This has contrary reporting. Calgary, Ottawa, and Toronto apparently went way up, other places report drops.  I wonder if things have changed in recent years as drug use has changed. 

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/somerset-crime-supervised-injection-ottawa-1.5358906

https://torontolife.com/city/what-cabbagetowners-think-of-the-areas-safe-injection-site-and-rising-crime-rates/

https://whyy.org/articles/civic-groups-argue-supervised-injection-site-will-boost-crime/

Crime might drop because there is less reporting...why bother if people aren’t as likely to be arrested, also if those who care to report move out....I would like to see studies of more than crimes and deaths and see property values, community  volunteerism, quality of life, etc studied as well. 

Edited by Calm
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)

Denver area. https://denver.cbslocal.com/2020/07/28/samuel-young-aurora-mugshot-shooting-jeep-elijah-mcclain-protest/

Aurora police have arrested the 23-year-old man accused of firing a gun during a weekend protest and injuring two people. He was identified as Samuel Young a day later and arrested at his home on Monday. An online search of public records indicates he is a Wheat Ridge resident.

video: Chose not to link to actual footage of shooting during the protest while blocking the road/traffic. The protesters blame the cops for not stopping traffic. They are kind of stretched thin.  Ironic huh?

The cops were shot as part of a robbery interagency task force. Shootings this year are way up.

https://twitter.com/AuroraMayorMike/status/1287423230484119552?s=20

Things were calming down. Now things seem to be heating up. I don't ever want to be caught up inadvertently driving by a protest. It would terrify me. I drive on these roads and my kids do too. What's a new teenage driver going to do if they get caught up in a protest? I have a Bishopric member in the Aurora PD. His wife has cop license plates on her car and was harassed while driving with her little kids in the car. I'm not sure they can change things quickly since the tag offices are by appointment only and months out.

Edited by bsjkki
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 7/28/2020 at 9:01 PM, Duncan said:

yeah!

I would like to apologize for dumping on you when I brought up our son’s problem at the border. That was not your fault nor  your problem, and my responses were not fair. Sorry. 

Edited by Bernard Gui
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, bsjkki said:

Denver area. https://denver.cbslocal.com/2020/07/28/samuel-young-aurora-mugshot-shooting-jeep-elijah-mcclain-protest/

Aurora police have arrested the 23-year-old man accused of firing a gun during a weekend protest and injuring two people. He was identified as Samuel Young a day later and arrested at his home on Monday. An online search of public records indicates he is a Wheat Ridge resident.

The cops were shot as part of a robbery interagency task force. Shootings this year are way up.

https://twitter.com/AuroraMayorMike/status/1287423230484119552?s=20

Things were calming down. Now things seem to be heating up. I don't ever want to be caught up inadvertently driving by a protest. It would terrify me. I drive on these roads and my kids do too. What's a new teenage driver going to do if they get caught up in a protest? I have a Bishopric member in the Aurora PD. His wife has cop license plates on her car and was harassed while driving with her little kids in the car. I'm not sure they can change things quickly since the tag offices are by appointment only and months out.

Wow! That is really sad. Aurora area is beautiful. Our son Persistissimo served in the Denver South Mission. My mom grew up in the San  Luis Valley way down south. Targeting police and their families is outrageous. I hope nothing comes of that. 

Edited by Bernard Gui

26 minutes ago, Bernard Gui said:

I would like to apologize for dumping on you when I brought up our son’s problem at the border. That was not your fault or your problem, and my responses were not fair. Sorry. 

no harm no foul!I had actually forgotten about it!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Calm said:

More than balanced out by lacrosse and hockey.

Nothing can compensate for cricket.

9 hours ago, The Nehor said:

Cricket is a cult more than a sport. You'll never get it unless it gets you first.

My first bishop here taught sport but admitted to me once that he found cricket less interesting than watching the grass grow.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Bernard Gui said:

Yep. That's what Seattle and Portland have become. The lawlessness follows just as sure as night follows day. That's why I said it's coming your way. It's spreading from Seattle into the suburbs such as DesMoines, Kent, Auburn, Burien, Federal Way, and others. In the last 2 months there were three multiple victim shootings in Kent/Federal Way where my SIL lives. For a month FW businesses closed at 6pm in fear that the rioters would show up as they threatened to do. That's one town away from us.

After taking some time to look at you're posts, you really are an alright guy, I withdraw any ill opinions I had of you, my bad for any offenses. 

Anyway, yeah when I left a few years ago I had a bad feeling it would get this bad, US Marshal buddy warned me to get out of there.  Same thing is happening here in Denver.  Here's what a lot of people don't realize, folks in the red states have been watching this for years, social media has made it very difficult for people to hide what they do, that and the consequences of said actions.  People are also watching what's happening to Utah and Idaho and quietly making plans.  Friend in Nebraska married into farming family, the state yanked out of state hunting permits and now the locals are hostile when they see out of state plates.  Friend was given the bird by a local when he saw his CO plates, he's gone back and forth for decades (he's older).  Scary thing his he was almost jumped in a Wal-Mart parking lot, he was able to talk his way out of it but still, it's getting bad. 

What people don't realize is folks have talked about leaving the union for quite some time, there's even talk of a Calexit of sorts. 

https://yescalifornia.org/

I'm no fan of liberal/socailist politics, that being said CA has teeth.  People don't realize if states like them leave the union, there goes a sizeable amount of our taxes.  You could see other states in the north who don't want liberal transplants ruining their state following suit.  Sure, they could have federal/military intervention of some sort but here's the first question, where does the funding come from?  If the world decides to no longer use US dollars as their reserve currency (That may happen) there goes our printing press.  That, and even if by some miracle they were able to stop states from pulling something like that off, holding hostile territories is a nightmare.  Police families are getting dox'd by antifa, they're now doing the same tactics that the cartels in Mexico have done against their military/gov't for quite some time now.  Look over the pond at Afghanistan, holding that was a nightmare esp. when Isis stepped up.  This happened in the house last year, wonder how many people watched it.  These are the folks people are making very angry, they're a far cry from the fat, out of shape larps we see on tv.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/dozens-federal-law-enforcement-officers-portland-doxed

Just my own ramblings here, you do strike me as someone with a level head on your shoulders.  People don't realize what happens when you poke the bear too much, wait till the economy really gets bad and people have the chance to act on their pent up rage.  Far as I can tell we're in a recession, STEM grads are having issues finding jobs and people are getting outed on social media and having their professional and personal lives ruined.  You can't push and shove people forever, sooner or later, they push back. 

https://www.forbes.com/sites/pedrodacosta/2020/07/14/top-federal-reserve-officials-are-starting-to-brace-for-a-prolonged-recession/#7c8dd6925bc0