'The Righteous Need Not Fear'

7 hours ago, Scott Lloyd said:

When I was a child the polio virus was so omnipresent that we all were required to be vaccinated and to receive a yearly booster thereafter. I still clearly remember standing in long lines to receive immunizations from public health personnel, initially with conventional hypodermic needles, later with a pistol-like device pressed against the arm, and still later, a sugar cube with a drop of serum applied to it. What a great day that was, when we could eat a cube of sugar instead of getting stuck in the arm. Then, the day came when we no longer had to receive a polio vaccine at all. 

Has polio truly been eradicated? Perhaps there are some corners of the globe where the virus still exists. All I know is that it no longer poses a threat to me or to anyone I know. 

Perhaps you are right that the China virus is here to stay and that we all will “get it.”  I just don’t see how anyone can be certain of that at this point. 

7 hours ago, USU78 said:

At one point it was safe to say that poliomyelitis was exterminated worldwide, to a great extent through the efforts of Rotary International. We raised billions and provided vaccination worldwide including in places you wouldn't imagine.

Then international politics intervened. Evil-doers started working against the efforts. 

Polio is mostly eradicated.  World-wide there are only a handful of annual cases of wild-polio virus seen, and these are limited  to 2 countries - Afghanistan and Pakistan.  We saw some in Nigeria in recent years, but as of 2018 there were 0 cases there.

In 2018, 29 wild polio virus cases were reported- 8 in Pakistan, 21 in Afghanistan, and 0 in Nigeria.

https://www.cdc.gov/polio/updates/index.htm

As of October 2019, another strain of polio has been completely eradicated from planet earth.  There is just one more strain to go.  We are so close.

Unfortunately, we still see some cases of polio in developing countries who are still using live polio vaccine.  They are not getting polio from the wild virus, they are getting it from the vaccine. I have no idea why some countries are still using that vaccine, especially considering that polio is eradicated in those countries.  People in these countries are at greater risk from the vaccine than from the wild virus.  Makes no sense whatsoever.

• Like 1
52 minutes ago, Islander said:

RNA viruses replicate and transcribe their genomes using RNA-dependent RNA polymerases. Their genomes can be either RNA or DNA. Retroviruses are ssRNA viruses that replicate through a human DNA intermediate, thus requiring a virus-encoded RNA-dependent DNA polymerase (reverse transcriptase).

What I mean is that the virus is moving thru the world population and it will remain there, just like influenza. For all practical purposes it is using human DNA to replicate and spread.

Except that Coronavirus is not a retrovirus and doesn't get in, or use, our DNA at all.  Not all RNA viruses are retroviruses incase you weren't aware. 

It is not just like the flu.

Edited by pogi
  • Like 1
7 hours ago, HappyJackWagon said:

I've seen many (various denominations) claim the No Fear mantra as if having faith in God will prevent them from getting sick. It doesn't. It never has. The religiously faithful are just as capable of becoming ill as the non-religious.

I was very happy to see our Area Presidency address this nonsense in a very blunt way - "Latter-day Saints are not immune".  It is a sad commentary that they even felt compelled to do so.  

• Like 3
3 hours ago, HappyJackWagon said:

It's about being polite and respectful, not political correctness. But I will say that using racial and nationalistic terms in a derogatory way dehumanizes those people and creates a fear and anger towards them. I'm sure that's not what you're intending, but whether Chinese Flue, Kung Flu, Wu Flu, whatever, it's pretty rude and may also contribute towards increased violence in this country against people of Asian origin.

It’s not being racist to indicate where it started. It is, however, indicative of PC run amok to make an accusation like that. 

• Like 1
35 minutes ago, Scott Lloyd said:

It’s not being racist to indicate where it started. It is, however, indicative of PC run amok to make an accusation like that. 

It is not being PC to indicate that hate crimes against Asians, including American Asians have gone up and what are common terms used in those assaults. 

https://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2020/07/05/800-hate-crimes-against-asians-in-california-reported-in-past-3-months/

Edited by Calm
  • Like 4
1 hour ago, pogi said:

Except that Coronavirus is not a retrovirus and doesn't get in, or use, our DNA at all.  Not all RNA viruses are retroviruses incase you weren't aware. 

It is not just like the flu.

Technically true. All transcription and replication takes place inside the host cell without binding any part of the human DNA. 

On 7/22/2020 at 2:04 PM, Bill “Papa” Lee said:

I have found, and could list copious Scriptures, and endless sermons, from many pulpits. Especially sermons giving in General Conference, but doing so would makes the opening of this thread much more cumbersome. Currently However many areas when the Church is located, have once again, began to conduct Sacrament Meetings. However there are restrictions, and from what I understand, these limits take on many restrictions, such as “who can, and cannot attend, placing restrictions on (or with) meeting schedules, conditions that limit older members, etc”. Currently here in Georgia, we have not yet returned to any meetings, other than Youth Activities. In addition, the media (both Local and Nationwide) have so many, so frightened, that near our home, hundreds line up along a a four lane highway, motorists, are running out of gas, just to be tested. Because of this, the police have to get involved, to keep those waiting, from breaking traffic laws, assisting those who run out of gas, and to keep others from breaking traffic laws, or to keep some from getting into fights. An odd type of “road rage”, when those who leave the line to get gas, wanting to reclaim their place in line. 

Even members, as well as friends on Facebook, are frightened, to the point that some speak of not returning to Church, until this pandemic is over, or a vaccine is discovered, and they can get it. Which begs the question; if we “follow the Prophet”, then why do we fear? Unlike other Faith’s, we not only have a Prophet, but he is a Doctor. What are we learning, as it relates to the Scripture, “lf ye are prepared, ye need not fear”. 

Anyway, your thoughts? 

When ye are prepared ye shall not fear:

1. When you prepare with having food storage and personal hygiene supplies you don't need to fear shortages of flour and toilet paper.

2. When you prepare by having a savings you don't need to fear time off work

3. When you prepare by wearing a mask you don't need to fear overwhelming hospitals.

4. When you prepare with spiritual reliance you don't need to fear home church.

5. When you prepare with history and scientific education you don't fear your rights are being taken because you understand that social distancing and masks are a health thing and not a right thing.

When you prepare emotionally/mentally self reliance you don't fear staying at home away from others because you can be by yourself for awhile.

When you prepare health wise you don't need to fear the consequences so much as others will. 

Obviously no one is completely prepared and at different times of our lives we will have different abilities to prepare. The above is not judgment.  Just cause and effect.

I find it REALLY weird that people keep saying I am living in fear.  I'm at varying stages of preparedness of those things above, but I'm prepared enough that I'm not living in fear.  

• Like 2
7 hours ago, Bernard Gui said:

The ongoing relentless efforts to frighten us have been quite successful. When a positive or negative story comes out that might allay fears, within a day or two there will be articles that contradict it and maintain the fear level. It is not possible to know the truth or determine reliable sources.

So, if "we are prepared, ye need not fear," IMO, means those who have not procrastinated the day of their repentance should not fear death. Of course there are other implications, such as being self-sufficient, etc.

But we must remember that no one expects the Spanish Inquisition.

There really hasn't been a lot of this if you look at reliable sources and understand how science and research works.  The major problem was the initial word about masks being helpful, but that has been cleared up.  

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Scott Lloyd said:

As if everyone is hiding that China was the most likely origin point (in the early days Iran was suspected of being the origin by some but I have not heard anyone still taking that tack in months). That the people who have popularized your name of choice are also promulgating baseless claims of lab irresponsibility or even bioweapon attacks is what makes it racist.

Is it possible it came from a mishandled sample? Sure. Is it most likely? No. The reason people jump to blame is the human psychology that also leads to conspiracy theories. When something has a dramatic effect humans jump to wanting a dramatic cause. The assassination of JFK seems too far reaching to be the work of a lone gunman. It is too modest a beginning. Compare to the attempted assassination of Reagan which had the potential to be about as impactful if it has worked. Where are all the conspiracy theories about that assassination?

• Like 2
8 hours ago, Bernard Gui said:

The ongoing relentless efforts to frighten us have been quite successful. When a positive or negative story comes out that might allay fears, within a day or two there will be articles that contradict it and maintain the fear level. It is not possible to know the truth or determine reliable sources.

So, if "we are prepared, ye need not fear," IMO, means those who have not procrastinated the day of their repentance should not fear death. Of course there are other implications, such as being self-sufficient, etc.

But we must remember that no one expects the Spanish Inquisition.

The media was going nuts because there were no simple answers and no clear government direction in most countries (US was bad on this). Add in a justifiable mistrust and there were a lot of lies. Even the Russian bots got in on the fun.

Fear is not always bad. Sometimes fear is justified. The kind of fear God speaks of is usually a kind of existential fear of hell or or nothingness after death. More mundane fears are not a sin or proof of a lack of preparation.

I just lost my job. I am prepared but am I a little nervous? Yeah. I do not think that is a slight on my spiritual standing.

Edited by The Nehor
  • Like 2
2 minutes ago, Hamba Tuhan said:

So sorry to hear this! :friends:

Ironically it is not due to Covid. I expected my job would be gone by the end of the year unless I moved to Houston (yuck). I just expected it to last until late fall or winter. I am financially prepared and can probably last a year without touching retirement. With unemployment I can probably last another 8 months on top of that and if worst comes to worst I have wealthy family I can turn to. I am better off than most. I expect it to start getting ugly for many in the next month. A lot of talk of rent strikes and eviction suspensions expiring.

• Like 3
15 minutes ago, The Nehor said:

I am financially prepared and can probably last a year without touching retirement. With unemployment I can probably last another 8 months on top of that and if worst comes to worst I have wealthy family I can turn to.

Minus the wealthy family, I think you just illustrated the principle quite well. 

I'm still really sorry but! Hopefully you'll find employment very soon.

• Like 3
3 hours ago, Calm said:

It is not being PC to indicate that hate crimes against Asians, including American Asians have gone up and what are common terms used in those assaults. 

https://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2020/07/05/800-hate-crimes-against-asians-in-california-reported-in-past-3-months/

It takes a special kind of idiocy to blame ethnic Americans for the wrongdoing or dereliction of the government of a country halfway around the world in which they have no citizenship and to which they hold no allegiance. We’ve seen that happen in history with the unjust internment of Japanese Americans during World War II. 

But none of that justifies a knee-jerk accusation of racism for indicating forthrightly and accurately where the Wuhan virus originated. 

13 minutes ago, Scott Lloyd said:

But none of that justifies a knee-jerk accusation of racism for indicating forthrightly and accurately where the Wuhan virus originated. 

What exactly do you see yourself accomplishing when you call it the China virus?

Edited by Calm
  • Like 2
6 minutes ago, Calm said:

What exactly do you see yourself accomplishing when you call it the China virus?

Helping keep the record straight. It’s worldwide in scope, not in origin 

30 minutes ago, Scott Lloyd said:

And why do you see this as important, especially since no one on this board is claiming otherwise?  Wouldn’t accuracy be a better approach?  Calling it by its official name identifies it precisely where calling it China virus simply lumps it in with many others and tells us essentially nothing about it save where it is believe to have originated and not even that very well?

Edited by Calm
  • Like 3
3 hours ago, The Nehor said:

I just lost my job.

Major bummer. Hope things work out. 

5 hours ago, Rain said:

There really hasn't been a lot of this if you look at reliable sources and understand how science and research works.  The major problem was the initial word about masks being helpful, but that has been cleared up.  

We must be hearing things differently. I just read an article on the effectiveness of masking in a national nurses journal that is not quite so optimistic. Scientists and doctors are quoted to support all manner of theories and practices. Nothing is consistent. Así es la vida.

Edited by Bernard Gui
1 hour ago, Scott Lloyd said:

I almost forgot.  Thanks for the reminder!  Things could have gotten ugly.

Why do you feel compelled to keep the record straight? Who’s questioning the record?

Edited by pogi
  • Like 3
3 hours ago, pogi said:

I almost forgot.  Thanks for the reminder!  Things could have gotten ugly.

Why do you feel compelled to keep the record straight? Who’s questioning the record?

No one. Well, except for some fringe conspiracy nuts mostly in China claiming Covid was a US bioweapon attack.

4 hours ago, Scott Lloyd said:

The “Wuhan virus” originated in the mouth of a racist to promote racial discontent so it is not a knee jerk reaction to assume racism. It is a logical reaction. Covid-19 almost certainly came from China.

4 hours ago, Scott Lloyd said:

It takes a special kind of idiocy to blame ethnic Americans for the wrongdoing or dereliction of the government of a country halfway around the world in which they have no citizenship and to which they hold no allegiance. We’ve seen that happen in history with the unjust internment of Japanese Americans during World War II. 

It is not a special kind of idiocy. It is a very common form of idiocy. Using terms created and used by those trying to appeal to and enflame the hatred of said idiots does not strike me as wise.

• Like 3
3 hours ago, Bernard Gui said:

the effectiveness of masking

For preventing you from becoming infected or you preventing others?  There is a difference.  Sometimes this is not made clear...and sometimes people don't care about what is happening with others.

• Like 2