Seriously No Politics ×

Temple Changes?

I just came across that article today as well. How do you not speculate? Since few of us live in the temple areas moving to phase 2 and few of us need our own live endowment even if we did I guess we'll be left to speculate to ourselves for a while. 😏

Oh crap. My dad already thinks that the Church's not holding weekly services is disobeying Matthew 10:28: 

And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

When he gets wind of this I'm going to have to talk him down again...

1 minute ago, Duncan said:

I wonder why they would release it to the press if they didn't want the press to talk about it?

Make members curious enough to want to attend the temple more or start going again, at least one more time?

2 minutes ago, JAHS said:

Make members curious enough to want to attend the temple more or start going again, at least one more time?

I wonder? if how many members will come back to Church or during this whole pandemic, maybe this is a thing to get some back? in out ward of about 150 people, only 80 have come back, with 10 missionaries but they came both weeks so really 60 but I expect more will return when it's safer

27 minutes ago, Duncan said:

I wonder why they would release it to the press if they didn't want the press to talk about it?

I thought that odd. Because of the timing, I suspect it has something to do with limiting touching. 

37 minutes ago, JAHS said:

If you mean those getting married, sure. But by the time many of the rest of us can go back for proxy work, bet the info will be out there. 

They would know any changes would be talked about. This way they can’t be accused of trying to hide the changes in all the other stuff going on.

47 minutes ago, Duncan said:

Because the press would find out. A simple statement will kill the idea that it was hidden or maybe scare someone who goes back at some point and sees differences. If it whets an appetite for the temple that is good too.

1 hour ago, Scott Lloyd said:

President Nelson also asked that we not make it a topic of public discussion. I believe those who feel a sense of loyalty and decorum could at least honor that much of the request. But perhaps I am too idealistic in that respect. 

Decorum? I don’t think those who participate regularly in an internet Church discussion group which often revolves into petty arguments is particularly inclined to be invested in “decorum.”

1 hour ago, Scott Lloyd said:

President Nelson also asked that we not make it a topic of public discussion. I believe those who feel a sense of loyalty and decorum could at least honor that much of the request. But perhaps I am too idealistic in that respect. 

I abstain because I want to be loyal.

I try not to do things due to "decorum". "Decorum" as a word is usually a long-winded way of describing "boring".

41 minutes ago, MustardSeed said:

Decorum? I don’t think those who participate regularly in an internet Church discussion group which often revolves into petty arguments is particularly inclined to be invested in “decorum.”

That should be "devolves into petty arguments..."

devolve = to degenerate through a gradual change or evolution; e.g., the scene devolved into chaos
revolve = to have or come to a specified focus; e.g., the dispute revolved around wages

(See what I did there? ;) )

26 minutes ago, Nevo said:

That should be "devolves into petty arguments..."

devolve = to degenerate through a gradual change or evolution; e.g., the scene devolved into chaos
revolve = to have or come to a specified focus; e.g., the dispute revolved around wages

(See what I did there? ;) )

I thought I'd typed Devolve - looks like I had a brain fart.  Hows that for decorum? :)

11 minutes ago, MustardSeed said:

I thought I'd typed Devolve - looks like I had a brain fart.  Hows that for decorum? :)

Yes, when I fart, at least, I try to do so decorously! :D:rofl::D

36 minutes ago, Kenngo1969 said:

Yes, when I fart, at least, I try to do so decorously! :D:rofl::D

When I fart I like to strike a match to see a big boom.  And when I don't get a big boom at least I am helping to make the air smell a bit better.

8 minutes ago, Ahab said:

When I fart I like to strike a match to see a big boom.  And when I don't get a big boom at least I am helping to make the air smell a bit better.

Careful!   My brother knew somebody who, when he did that and someone lit a match, it singed his leg. ;):D  (But, since this isn't the topic of the thread ... Moving on!)  Sorry! :huh:

image.jpeg.db070acbbfef0db91ddd3a678e2bf99a.jpeg

"I have trouble ... touching things."

–Bill Murray as the title character, Bob Wiley, in What About Bob? (1991)

A few years ago, when I worked in a mental health support capacity, I mentioned this film to one of the therapists.  He was pretty straight-laced, so I thought it would be outside his ken (no pun intended ;)), and that, therefore, some background explanation would be in order.  He surprised me by saying that he made a tradition of watching the film once a year. ;):D:rofl:

1 hour ago, bluebell said:

My speculation ( :D ) is that they are completely related to keeping people safe during Covid so we can go back to doing endowments, and nothing more.  

i'd buy that, would you say they are temporary changes or?

4 hours ago, Duncan said:

The press can and will do what they want. The request from the First Presidency is to “members and friends”:

Given the sacredness of the temple ceremonies, we ask our members and friends not to engage in speculation or public discussions about these changes.” 

Even though the text of the ceremony has long been accessible from unauthorized sources, Church leaders have never approved of members discussing in detail in public the sacred temple ceremonies. 

Just now, Duncan said:

i'd buy that, would you say they are temporary changes or?

That requires even more speculation!

Hmmm...  I guess it would depend on how they classified the changes.  If they were a 'battlefield promotion' kind of thing, done in an emergency situation but an exception and not the rule, then I'd say that it would go back to normal when the emergency was over.  If, on the other hand, the changes are God changing the rules to fit the new needs of our society, then they could stay.