Asking Members to Read the Book of Mormon

I read this in a General Conference talk.

I am grateful for the testimony of our prophet, President Gordon B. Hinckley. On behalf 
of all members throughout the world, I express gratitude that he chose to follow the 
inspiration of the Lord and asked us to read the Book of Mormon. We have been abundantly 
blessed by his inspired counsel

Do we have a record of other Presidents before Gordon Hinckley following the inspiration
of  the Lord and asking members to read the Book of Mormon?

Gale

9 minutes ago, telnetd said:

I am grateful for the testimony of our prophet, President Gordon B. Hinckley. On behalf 
of all members throughout the world, I express gratitude that he chose to follow the 
inspiration of the Lord and asked us to read the Book of Mormon. We have been abundantly 

Do we have a record of other Presidents before Gordon Hinckley following the inspiration

Gale

I think it started with Ezra T. Benson.

https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/study/general-conference/1986/10/the-book-of-mormon-keystone-of-our-religion?lang=eng

https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/study/manual/teachings-of-presidents-of-the-church-ezra-taft-benson/chapter-10-flooding-the-earth-and-our-lives-with-the-book-of-mormon?lang=eng

Edited by Tacenda

Ezra Taft Benson brought the Church's attention back to the Book of Mormon, declaring that the Church was under condemnation for neglecting it. As a matter of fact, I don't think that condemnation has ever been rescinded, so we still have work to do.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, telnetd said:

Gale

Pretty much every prophet and apostle since the beginning of the restoration... starting here:

“Concerning this record the Prophet Joseph Smith said: “I told the brethren that the Book of Mormon was the most correct of any book on earth, and the keystone of our religion, and a man would get nearer to God by abiding its precepts, than by any other book.”

-Joseph Smith - Introduction page in the BoM

• Like 3
3 hours ago, Sevenbak said:

Pretty much every prophet and apostle since the beginning of the restoration... starting here:

“Concerning this record the Prophet Joseph Smith said: “I told the brethren that the Book of Mormon was the most correct of any book on earth, and the keystone of our religion, and a man would get nearer to God by abiding its precepts, than by any other book.”

Good to see you. 

5 hours ago, Sevenbak said:

As a practical matter, it was very difficult to cite anything in the Book of Mormon until Orson Pratt put in systematic verses in the 1879 SLC edition.  After that one could at least find one's way around inside the book.

• Like 3
8 hours ago, Sevenbak said:

Goodness, I was off several decades!

9 hours ago, Robert F. Smith said:

As a practical matter, it was very difficult to cite anything in the Book of Mormon until Orson Pratt put in systematic verses in the 1879 SLC edition.  After that one could at least find one's way around inside the book.

Historians like Bushman and Givens assert that Joseph Smith rarely quoted from the Book of Mormon but did teach principles from the book, citing this explanation.

• Like 1
On 7/18/2020 at 12:45 PM, Duncan said:

and how many times have the leaders asked us to study the scriptures

Had to edit it because they are still asking

It's more than that even now

Edited by mfbukowski
  • Like 1
5 hours ago, mfbukowski said:
On 7/18/2020 at 12:45 PM, Duncan said:

and how many times have the leaders asked us to study the scriptures

Had to edit it because they are still asking

It's more than that even now