Jump to content

Asking Members to Read the Book of Mormon


Recommended Posts

I read this in a General Conference talk.

I am grateful for the testimony of our prophet, President Gordon B. Hinckley. On behalf 
of all members throughout the world, I express gratitude that he chose to follow the 
inspiration of the Lord and asked us to read the Book of Mormon. We have been abundantly 
blessed by his inspired counsel
.

Do we have a record of other Presidents before Gordon Hinckley following the inspiration
of  the Lord and asking members to read the Book of Mormon?

Gale

Link to post
9 minutes ago, telnetd said:

I read this in a General Conference talk.

I am grateful for the testimony of our prophet, President Gordon B. Hinckley. On behalf 
of all members throughout the world, I express gratitude that he chose to follow the 
inspiration of the Lord and asked us to read the Book of Mormon. We have been abundantly 
blessed by his inspired counsel
.

Do we have a record of other Presidents before Gordon Hinckley following the inspiration
of  the Lord and asking members to read the Book of Mormon?

Gale

I think it started with Ezra T. Benson.

 https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/study/general-conference/1986/10/the-book-of-mormon-keystone-of-our-religion?lang=eng

https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/study/manual/teachings-of-presidents-of-the-church-ezra-taft-benson/chapter-10-flooding-the-earth-and-our-lives-with-the-book-of-mormon?lang=eng

Edited by Tacenda
Link to post

Ezra Taft Benson brought the Church's attention back to the Book of Mormon, declaring that the Church was under condemnation for neglecting it. As a matter of fact, I don't think that condemnation has ever been rescinded, so we still have work to do.

  • Like 2
Link to post
2 hours ago, telnetd said:

I read this in a General Conference talk.

I am grateful for the testimony of our prophet, President Gordon B. Hinckley. On behalf 
of all members throughout the world, I express gratitude that he chose to follow the 
inspiration of the Lord and asked us to read the Book of Mormon. We have been abundantly 
blessed by his inspired counsel
.

Do we have a record of other Presidents before Gordon Hinckley following the inspiration
of  the Lord and asking members to read the Book of Mormon?

Gale

Pretty much every prophet and apostle since the beginning of the restoration... starting here:

 

“Concerning this record the Prophet Joseph Smith said: “I told the brethren that the Book of Mormon was the most correct of any book on earth, and the keystone of our religion, and a man would get nearer to God by abiding its precepts, than by any other book.”

-Joseph Smith - Introduction page in the BoM

  • Like 3
Link to post
3 hours ago, Sevenbak said:

Pretty much every prophet and apostle since the beginning of the restoration... starting here:

 

“Concerning this record the Prophet Joseph Smith said: “I told the brethren that the Book of Mormon was the most correct of any book on earth, and the keystone of our religion, and a man would get nearer to God by abiding its precepts, than by any other book.”

-Joseph Smith - Introduction page in the BoM

Good to see you. 

Link to post
5 hours ago, Sevenbak said:

Pretty much every prophet and apostle since the beginning of the restoration... starting here:

“Concerning this record the Prophet Joseph Smith said: “I told the brethren that the Book of Mormon was the most correct of any book on earth, and the keystone of our religion, and a man would get nearer to God by abiding its precepts, than by any other book.”

-Joseph Smith - Introduction page in the BoM

As a practical matter, it was very difficult to cite anything in the Book of Mormon until Orson Pratt put in systematic verses in the 1879 SLC edition.  After that one could at least find one's way around inside the book.

  • Like 3
Link to post
8 hours ago, Sevenbak said:

Pretty much every prophet and apostle since the beginning of the restoration... starting here:

 

“Concerning this record the Prophet Joseph Smith said: “I told the brethren that the Book of Mormon was the most correct of any book on earth, and the keystone of our religion, and a man would get nearer to God by abiding its precepts, than by any other book.”

-Joseph Smith - Introduction page in the BoM

Goodness, I was off several decades!

Link to post
9 hours ago, Robert F. Smith said:

As a practical matter, it was very difficult to cite anything in the Book of Mormon until Orson Pratt put in systematic verses in the 1879 SLC edition.  After that one could at least find one's way around inside the book.

Historians like Bushman and Givens assert that Joseph Smith rarely quoted from the Book of Mormon but did teach principles from the book, citing this explanation.

  • Like 1
Link to post
On 7/18/2020 at 12:45 PM, Duncan said:

and how many times have the leaders asked us to study the scriptures

184,967.

Had to edit it because they are still asking

It's more than that even now

Edited by mfbukowski
  • Like 1
Link to post
5 hours ago, mfbukowski said:
On 7/18/2020 at 12:45 PM, Duncan said:

and how many times have the leaders asked us to study the scriptures

184,967.

Had to edit it because they are still asking

It's more than that even now

And that's just in YOUR ward.

  • Like 2
Link to post
6 hours ago, mfbukowski said:

184,967.

Had to edit it because they are still asking

It's more than that even now

In one ear and out the other, I guess.

Link to post
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...