Jesus Christ Organized His Church

This is from Lesson 21 (Religion 250 manual).

The chapter mentions the priesthood keys several times.

89 – During His three-year mortal ministry, Jesus Christ conferred priesthood keys on 
His Twelve Apostles. With these keys, the Church of Jesus Christ was “built upon the 
foundation of the apostles and prophets

90 – "'Priesthood keys are the authority God has given to priesthood [holders] to direct, 
control, and govern the use of His priesthood on earth’ [Handbook 2: Administering the 
Church [2010], 2.1.1]. Every act or ordinance performed in the Church is done under the 
direct or indirect authorization of one holding the keys for that function. 

Why didn't Jesus confer the keys of binding and loosing on the twelve Nephite disciples?

54 minutes ago, marineland said:

89 – During His three-year mortal ministry, Jesus Christ conferred priesthood keys on 
His Twelve Apostles. With these keys, the Church of Jesus Christ was “built upon the 

90 – "'Priesthood keys are the authority God has given to priesthood [holders] to direct, 
control, and govern the use of His priesthood on earth’ [Handbook 2: Administering the 
Church [2010], 2.1.1]. Every act or ordinance performed in the Church is done under the 

Why didn't Jesus confer the keys of binding and loosing on the twelve Nephite disciples?

D&C 132

7 And verily I say unto you, that the conditions of this law are these: All covenants, contracts, bonds, obligations, oaths, vows, performances, connections, associations, or expectations, that are not made and entered into and sealed by the Holy Spirit of promise, of him who is anointed, both as well for time and for all eternity, and that too most holy, by revelation and commandment through the medium of mine anointed, whom I have appointed on the earth to hold this power (and I have appointed unto my servant Joseph to hold this power in the last days, and there is never but one on the earth at a time on whom this power and the keys of this priesthood are conferred), are of no efficacy, virtue, or force in and after the resurrection from the dead; for all contracts that are not made unto this end have an end when men are dead.
8 Behold, mine house is a house of order, saith the Lord God, and not a house of confusion.

1Nephi 12

9 And he said unto me: Thou rememberest the twelve apostles of the Lamb? Behold they are they who shall judge the twelve tribes of Israel; wherefore, the twelve ministers of thy seed shall be judged of them; for ye are of the house of Israel.
10 And these twelve ministers whom thou beholdest shall judge thy seed. And, behold, they are righteous forever; for because of their faith in the Lamb of God their garments are made white in his blood.

• Like 4
59 minutes ago, marineland said:

He may well have, as He gave it to Nephi in Helaman 10 some 50 years earlier.

There are several references in 3 Nephi where the Lord communicates things to these Nephite twelve without their being shared or recorded.

There may have been an administrative component to whether the Nephite twelve ad it or not, as the twelve in Jerusalem were still alive and well and exercising those keys upon the earth.

• Like 2

Interesting. Would this necessitate contact between St Peter and the Nephite Twelve, since Peter held the keys of a priesthood operative among the Nephites? I suppose the Three Nephites with their practical superpowers could work as intermediaries if need be, but ThreeNephites-ex-machina always seems farfetched. 

Edit: Actually, now that I mention it, the Nephite Twelve were in something of a different situation as three of them were effectively elevated to the status of ministering angel before the divine throne. Normal procedure may not have applied in their case. 

Edited by OGHoosier
  • Like 2
On 7/18/2020 at 10:54 AM, OGHoosier said:

Interesting. Would this necessitate contact between St Peter and the Nephite Twelve, since Peter held the keys of a priesthood operative among the Nephites? I suppose the Three Nephites with their practical superpowers could work as intermediaries if need be, but ThreeNephites-ex-machina always seems farfetched. 

Edit: Actually, now that I mention it, the Nephite Twelve were in something of a different situation as three of them were effectively elevated to the status of ministering angel before the divine throne. Normal procedure may not have applied in their case. 

There is nothing normal about the three Nephites. I have a story from an elder of a Pueblo tribe (who was a member of the Church) that could could have been a visitation by one of them.

27 minutes ago, Bernard Gui said:

There is nothing normal about the three Nephites. I have a story from an elder of a Pueblo tribe (who was a member of the Church) that could could have been a visitation by one of them.

I'm interested in hearing it, if you'd like to post it or PM me. 

I agree, the Three Nephites and John the Beloved are extremely special cases, and though it's cliche to attribute events to them no doubt they have done the will of the Lord throughout the past 2000 years, through ministering to individuals and keeping the flame alive or operating in the background of world affairs. 

Under the circumstances, I wonder if their authority somehow stood in place of Peter's, or perhaps they served as intermediaries connecting the Old World Presidency with the New World Church.

Might offer an interesting angle on NT language in the BoM as well. 

1 hour ago, OGHoosier said:

I'm interested in hearing it, if you'd like to post it or PM me. 

I agree, the Three Nephites and John the Beloved are extremely special cases, and though it's cliche to attribute events to them no doubt they have done the will of the Lord throughout the past 2000 years, through ministering to individuals and keeping the flame alive or operating in the background of world affairs. 

Under the circumstances, I wonder if their authority somehow stood in place of Peter's, or perhaps they served as intermediaries connecting the Old World Presidency with the New World Church.

Might offer an interesting angle on NT language in the BoM as well. 

Also it could be an interesting angle on the Early Modern English in the Book of Mormon.  The Book of Mormon text shows heavy influence from the writings of John.  

So what if the apostle John learned English in the 1500's, met up somewhere with the Three Nephites not long after that, and together they produced the translation of the Book of Mormon in preparation for the restoration, and when the right time came that same translation was revealed to Joseph Smith?   That would at least explain some of the data.

Edited by InCognitus
  • Like 1
On 7/18/2020 at 8:25 AM, marineland said:

The answer is given in verse 90, which you quoted.  Priesthood keys are the authority God has given to priesthood [holders] to direct, control, and govern the use of His priesthood on earth.  And it also explains why only one person on Earth at one time has all of those keys.  One one person at one time has the authority of God to direct, control, and govern the use of his priesthood on earth/Earth.  The President may delegate some of his authority to others by sharing his keys with those others, but he is the only one who has our Lord's authority to direct the work of any and all of the others.  Even the Lord works through him, respecting the chain of authority that he and our Father have established.

On 7/18/2020 at 1:54 PM, OGHoosier said:

This is a little bit of a departure from the OP, and I did it too: the sealing power is not necessarily included with the keys of the kingdom, but can be ("This, therefore, is the sealing and binding power, and, in one sense of the word, the keys of the kingdom, which consist in the key of knowledge [knowledge in this case referring to the contents of the records -- see D&C 27:5]." -- D&C 128:14)

Joseph Smith had the keys (the power to direct, control, and govern God’s power on earth--sometimes limited, sometime broad in scope) early on (D&C 27:12-13), the keys of gathering and the gospel of Abraham in 1836, and then the sealing power in 1842 (D&C 128).

So Nephi had the sealing power but not the keys of the kingdom (keys are not mentioned in the Book of Mormon, but rather "power and authority", e.g. in relation to the power and authority given the Nephite twelve--3 Nephi 11:21-22 and 12:1). The keys in their case were either retained by Jesus, or the First Presidency in the Old World, or so limited in scope so as not call them keys or keys or the kingdom.

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, CV75 said:

This is a little bit of a departure from the OP, and I did it too: the sealing power is not necessarily included with the keys of the kingdom, but can be ("This, therefore, is the sealing and binding power, and, in one sense of the word, the keys of the kingdom, which consist in the key of knowledge [knowledge in this case referring to the contents of the records -- see D&C 27:5]." -- D&C 128:14)

Joseph Smith had the keys (the power to direct, control, and govern God’s power on earth--sometimes limited, sometime broad in scope) early on (D&C 27:12-13), the keys of gathering and the gospel of Abraham in 1836, and then the sealing power in 1842 (D&C 128).

So Nephi had the sealing power but not the keys of the kingdom (keys are not mentioned in the Book of Mormon, but rather "power and authority", e.g. in relation to the power and authority given the Nephite twelve--3 Nephi 11:21-22 and 12:1). The keys in their case were either retained by Jesus, or the First Presidency in the Old World, or so limited in scope so as not call them keys or keys or the kingdom.

i think it's helpful to realize there are various keys in the kingdom of God.  The key for the sealing power of Elijah is one of those keys, and the key for directing and governing all who are ordained to a priesthood office on this Earth is another key.

I don't know of any one who has taken the time to make a list of all of the keys there are in the kingdom of God, but I think most people know there is more than one key.

Edited by Ahab