Sign in to follow this  
CV75

Looking for an Article

I have been searching in vain for an article I read this year that I believe was in the Ensign, BYU Magazine, or Marriott Magazine... Three LDS historians were interviewed on their handling of apparent contradictions, lapses, and perceived oddities, irregularities and offenses, etc. that appear in the historical records available. HELP! (Thank you! :) )

39 minutes ago, CV75 said:

I have been searching in vain for an article I read this year that I believe was in the Ensign, BYU Magazine, or Marriott Magazine... Three LDS historians were interviewed on their handling of apparent contradictions, lapses, and perceived oddities, irregularities and offenses, etc. that appear in the historical records available. HELP! (Thank you! :) )

any names of the historians? do you think the article was written this year or you had just read it this year but was written last year or something?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Duncan said:

any names of the historians? do you think the article was written this year or you had just read it this year but was written last year or something?

I believe I read it in a 2020 magazine but the interview could have been from 2019. I don't recall any names, but I think all three were from the Joseph Smith Papers Project. Thank you, Duncan

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CV75 said:

I believe I read it in a 2020 magazine but the interview could have been from 2019. I don't recall any names, but I think all three were from the Joseph Smith Papers Project. Thank you, Duncan

I can think of Kate Holbrook and Matt Grow, they and Elder Cook of the Twelve gave that CES devotional in 2018? 

https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/study/ensign/2020/07/church-history-a-source-of-strength-and-inspiration?lang=eng

is this it? I think this is a probably a summary but the video is online

• Like 2

Kate Holbrook is married to Sam Brown, a physician who writes some really interesting books on LDS topics.  

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Duncan said:

I can think of Kate Holbrook and Matt Grow, they and Elder Cook of the Twelve gave that CES devotional in 2018? 

https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/study/ensign/2020/07/church-history-a-source-of-strength-and-inspiration?lang=eng

EUREKA, THAT'S IT! Thank you so much, Duncan, I owe you "A REAL SOLID"!!!

Where's Kennogo when I did someone to show me how to do an applause emoji?

Edited by CV75
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, CV75 said:

😌😌😌😌😌 anytime!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, Duncan said:

7 hours ago, CV75 said:

:clapping: :yahoo: :clapping:

(Happy to oblige. ;) :D Glad you found the article you were looking for CV75.  Happy reading!  Good job, Duncan.  For the record, the "applause emoji" is the word "clapping" with colons before and after (and no spaces; so this is what you type, but without the spaces: : clapping :  And without the spaces, it looks like this :clapping:)

P.S.:  CV75, thank you for whetting my curiosity about what you were looking for.  Though I am well outside the target demographic of the audience at whom that article is directed, nonetheless, I read it with profit. 👍

Edited by Kenngo1969
  • Like 3

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Kenngo1969 said:

(Happy to oblige. ;) :D Glad you found the article you were looking for CV75.  Happy reading!  Good job, Duncan.  For the record, the "applause emoji" is the word "clapping" with colons before and after (and no spaces; so this is what you type, but without the spaces: : clapping :  And without the spaces, it looks like this :clapping:)

P.S.:  CV75, thank you for whetting my curiosity about what you were looking for.  Though I am well outside the target demographic of the audience at whom that article is directed, nonetheless, I read it with profit. 👍

Glad you enjoyed he article! I did too.

Now that's quite a feat: clapping colons!!! Accompanied by clapping thunder perhaps?

:clapping: Oh well

copy and paste: :clapping: :yahoo: :clapping:

Edited by CV75

them. It is really easy to play “gotcha” with the past, to pull a quotation or an incident out of context and make it look alarming.

@Fair Dinkum anyone? 😀

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Kenngo1969 said:

2 hours ago, CV75 said:

Now that's quite a feat: clapping colons!!! Accompanied by clapping thunder perhaps?

Happy Emoji Day - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Emoji_Day

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, JLHPROF said:

Oh my goodness LOL. That's gotta be a cosmic "something" for me!

PS our granddaughter has been sending them by the dozens...

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, katherine the great said:

What's the emoji for "you're a bunch of goofballs"? 😂

This one would work, wouldn't it?

:crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

;) :D

Edited by Kenngo1969
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, CV75 said:

Hmmm!  It's a mystery to me. :unknw: Sometimes the system is slow on the uptake before it finally says, "Oooooh!  You want an emoji!  Okay!"

Anybody else remember this?

Edited by Kenngo1969

19 hours ago, Kenngo1969 said:

Sometimes the system is slow on the uptake

Well I know all about being slow in the uptake... :) !!!

So The Clapper was slow, huh? Like those energy efficient bulbs that take a second and a half to light up after you turn on the switch?

1 minute ago, CV75 said:

Well I know all about being slow in the uptake... :) !!!

So The Clapper was slow, huh? Like those energy efficient bulbs that take a second and a half to light up after you turn on the switch?

I don't have any idea!  Never used it.  My obsession with the clapping icon/emoji simply reminded me of it ... ;)

45 minutes ago, Kenngo1969 said:

I don't have any idea!  Never used it.  My obsession with the clapping icon/emoji simply reminded me of it ... ;)

:clapping: :yahoo: :clapping: :clapping: :yahoo: :clapping: :clapping: :yahoo: :clapping: :clapping: :yahoo: :clapping:

4 hours ago, CV75 said:

:clapping: :yahoo: :clapping: :clapping: :yahoo: :clapping: :clapping: :yahoo: :clapping: :clapping: :yahoo: :clapping:

Whoa!  Trippy, Dude! :crazy:

• Like 1