Old Lds Books

It's interesting browsing Pioneer Book in Provo. There is a huge library of LDS books from all eras, including several editions of the infamous "Mormon Doctrine." But, aside from that, I see books by Ezra Taft Benson about "God, Family, Country: Our Three Great Loyalties" and "The Story of the Latter-day Saints" by James B. Allen and "Eternal Progression" by Gerrit De Jong (signed!). Since, it seems, LDS teachings change over time (I don't think core doctrine does), are these books useless except as twee windows into the past?

• Like 1

With aid from the Holy Ghost we can find truth in any book we read, and some books have more true comments than some other books.  Books written by people who were inspired by the Holy Ghost, for example.

Enjoy reading and finding the truth wherever you can find it!

I think they are snapshots into the past for sure, but I wouldn't put all my metaphorical money into one book but keep reading recent stuff as well. For example I have a book by Elder Theodore M. Burton, "God's Greatest Gift", from the mid 1970's about Temple work, salvation for the dead. Since it was printed though so many changes, policies etc. have come into the Church in regards to those subjects

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Bede said:

Since, it seems, LDS teachings change over time (I don't think core doctrine does), are these books useless except as twee windows into the past?

😁 Depends which prophet had the teachings correct.  Recency is irrelevant.

So many great rare book shops i  Utah.  I love Benchmark, Ken Sanders, Sam Wellers, Confetti.

Just a massive amount of gospel knowledge and history available.

20 hours ago, Bede said:

... are these books useless except as twee windows into the past?

Twee?  I like it!

image.png.104f791d77adaac16f65a409da3b31a1.png

19 hours ago, JLHPROF said:

😁 Depends which prophet had the teachings correct.  Recency is irrelevant.

So many great rare book shops i  Utah.  I love Benchmark, Ken Sanders, Sam Wellers, Confetti.

Just a massive amount of gospel knowledge and history available.

I need to donate some books from my mom's side that were handed down. Thanks for the reminder!

Edited by Tacenda
On 7/15/2020 at 8:52 AM, Kenngo1969 said:

Twee?  I like it!

image.png.104f791d77adaac16f65a409da3b31a1.png

Learned it from a Brit.

• Like 1
On 7/14/2020 at 12:03 PM, Bede said:

It's interesting browsing Pioneer Book in Provo.

The former owner, Richard Horsley, was in my ward.  He died in late 2018.  He was a very good man.

On 7/14/2020 at 12:03 PM, Bede said:

There is a huge library of LDS books from all eras, including several editions of the infamous "Mormon Doctrine." But, aside from that, I see books by Ezra Taft Benson about "God, Family, Country: Our Three Great Loyalties" and "The Story of the Latter-day Saints" by James B. Allen and "Eternal Progression" by Gerrit De Jong (signed!). Since, it seems, LDS teachings change over time (I don't think core doctrine does), are these books useless except as twee windows into the past?

Books are seldom an all-or-nothing kind of thing.  Each book should be evaluated on its merits.

Thanks,

-Smac

One thing that I have noticed is that LDS members were well educated in the past. They read LDS books and many had huge church book libraries. Most were familiar with Brigham's discourses, most had a good understanding of church history, and most were not surprised by this fact or that fact. In church there was good discussion about doctrine etc. I think that old books are useful. And in showing just how well educated people were. There was no internet to skim through for bias confirmation.

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, smac97 said:

The former owner, Richard Horsley, was in my ward.  He died in late 2018.  He was a very good man.

Books are seldom an all-or-nothing kind of thing.  Each book should be evaluated on its merits.

Thanks,

-Smac

And most importantly, people had books and home libraries. And they were proud of them.

• Like 1

Besides my old scripture collection I have a few other interesting books from the past

859007563_oldbooks.jpg.3973dd73bec4bf084f31005af6ab723d.jpg

• Like 1

My old Missionary Book of Mormon is a 1968 edition and is signed by Howard W. Hunter, Gordon B. Hinkley, Marion G. Romney, Mark E. Petersen, Rulon G. Craven, and Bruce R. McConkie.  I have a bunch of other books including a Mormon Doctrine from the 60's.  Wonder if they are worth anything.

1 hour ago, california boy said:

My old Missionary Book of Mormon is a 1968 edition and is signed by Howard W. Hunter, Gordon B. Hinkley, Marion G. Romney, Mark E. Petersen, Rulon G. Craven, and Bruce R. McConkie.  I have a bunch of other books including a Mormon Doctrine from the 60's.  Wonder if they are worth anything.

i'd imagine the on with the signatures are worth a pretty penny🤑

6 hours ago, why me said:

And most importantly, people had books and home libraries. And they were proud of them.

What's with the past tense?  I have a sizeable home library of gospel books.  I inherited a bunch from my parents and added more.  My wife's mother has a pretty good collection too.

6 hours ago, why me said:

One thing that I have noticed is that LDS members were well educated in the past. They read LDS books and many had huge church book libraries. Most were familiar with Brigham's discourses, most had a good understanding of church history, and most were not surprised by this fact or that fact. In church there was good discussion about doctrine etc. I think that old books are useful. And in showing just how well educated people were. There was no internet to skim through for bias confirmation.

The good old days.  When average members had gospel knowledge beyond the manuals.  That's why I love all you guys so much.  So many well read and well studied members in one location! ❤

• Like 2
1 hour ago, JLHPROF said:

What's with the past tense?  I have a sizeable home library of gospel books.  I inherited a bunch from my parents and added more.  My wife's mother has a pretty good collection too.

I think that there is too much competition these days from social media. I also believe that many people are skimming websites to confirm their ideas and viewpoints. Large libraries are not in as they used to be. Wall space could be a problem. Also, if one goes back years on the internet, we were addressing historical facts about LDS history that people seemed to have been shocked about. It was interesting to read just how uninformed people were, and as such, they were influenced. by critics claiming the the church hides its history etc. Members were being shocked and awed by critics and their claims. But the old timers who had large church libraries were not so shocked and awed. They knew much from the books they had and in general weathered the storms. This is just my opinion from my years on the board going back to when this was a FAIRboard.

• Like 2
16 minutes ago, why me said:

I think that there is too much competition these days from social media. I also believe that many people are skimming websites to confirm their ideas and viewpoints. Large libraries are not in as they used to be. Wall space could be a problem. Also, if one goes back years on the internet, we were addressing historical facts about LDS history that people seemed to have been shocked about. It was interesting to read just how uninformed people were, and as such, they were influenced. by critics claiming the the church hides its history etc. Members were being shocked and awed by critics and their claims. But the old timers who had large church libraries were not so shocked and awed. They knew much from the books they had and in general weathered the storms. This is just my opinion from my years on the board going back to when this was a FAIRboard.

I've talked about the benefits of such "inoculation" in my own life.

Okay, has anyone read or heard of “Eternal Progress” by Gerritt de Jong? I bought it because it had the grooviest cover.

B68EAC21-C1D1-43E9-94CC-5244177502AA.jpeg

• Like 1

And how about the dueling books of “The Story of the Latter-day Saints” and “The Mormon Experience” both commissioned by the church history department under Arrington. One for an LDS audience and one for a wider audience, but essentially the same book.

F86C08DC-FC5F-46BE-9348-B55617149DA7.jpeg

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, Bede said:

And how about the dueling books of “The Story of the Latter-day Saints” and “The Mormon Experience” both commissioned by the church history department under Arrington. One for an LDS audience and one for a wider audience, but essentially the same book.

with Arrington's signature that could fetch a pretty penny! 

16 minutes ago, Bede said:

I wouldn't say they're essentially the same. The Mormon Experience is more academic and thematic, while The Story of the Latter-day Saints is a more of a conventional history. I think Story has aged better. I'd say it's still the best one-volume history of the Church.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Duncan said:

with Arrington's signature that could fetch a pretty penny! 

Well it didn’t cost a pretty penny. It cost $5.00.

”But it’s signed by Leonard Arrington”

”$5.00” said the proprietor of Salt Lake Book and Magazine.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Bede said:

Well it didn’t cost a pretty penny. It cost $5.00.

”But it’s signed by Leonard Arrington”

”$5.00” said the proprietor of Salt Lake Book and Magazine.

Maybe the value of Arrington's signature was offset by the value of Will Bagley's signature.

• Like 2
On 7/16/2020 at 4:54 PM, JAHS said:

Besides my old scripture collection I have a few other interesting books from the past

859007563_oldbooks.jpg.3973dd73bec4bf084f31005af6ab723d.jpg

Wow, those are some rare books!

On 7/18/2020 at 3:19 AM, Bede said:

This was a book that was widely read back in the day. The Ensign and the old New Era were great back in the day. But then again, at that time, I think that people were better educated. I am not sure if the majority of the lds population could deal with more intelligent articles in the Ensign as they did in the past. Social media has dumb people down, I believe.