Seriously No Politics ×

Ten Years Back in the Church

Don,

You've impacted my life in just the short time since September of last year when I began to be active on this boards.  I had become aware of you prior to that from reading books and articles and listening to podcasts by Brian Hales, but I really didn't know more than that until I started following your posts on this board and in reading your book.  I'm really glad you came back.  You are an inspiration to me.  Happy ten year anniversary.

8 hours ago, DonBradley said:
Ten years ago I was rebaptized after having left the church for five years.

The welcoming embrace I received from the church and its members has been one of the most profoundly moving experiences of my life.

When I was in the process of returning to the church, I reread the letter I had written to resign my membership, and cried. I had written that letter with the intention of using it to lock the door behind me so I could never go back. And when I re-read what I had written, I thought the church would never take me back. I called my bishop in a panic and he told me, "Son, if the church couldn't forgive, it couldn't be Christ's church." Weeks afterward I sat in this bishop's office as he invited me back into the church. A few days later, I was baptized.

My time away from the church was never used against me by others. When I announced my return on this board, as I recall the count I made at the time, over 200 people here posted to welcome me back. Instead, of holding my having left the church and having sparred with many of you against me, you celebrated my return like the prodigal son's father celebrated his return. I was moved to tears.

Just months later I was bowled over by an invitation to work for a time with the Joseph Smith Papers Project. While there I once got to speak with Elder Marlin K. Jenson, then the Church Historian. Elder Jenson told me, "I want you to know we know all about the little detour you took in your faith, and it doesn't matter. We're just glad to have you back." From everything that I have experienced in these ten years, I can attest that the church does indeed forgive.

Coming back to the church has opened up so many good things in my life. I'm so grateful for the beautiful way you, my brothers and sisters, have taken me back with open arms.

Thank you, thank you,

Don

Welcome back to the Lord's Church Don. I would be remiss if I did not welcome you back with open arms as I too went inactive. I didn't resign, but simply stopped going to Church. For several years I went to other churches, but never found a place that was "right" where I found the spirit. I tried some non-trinitarian churches as well, and although sometimes felt more welcomed, there was no spirit of truth. I felt I had already answered the question about the atonement which essentially caused me to stop coming to Church, and the Lord kinda booted me back into Church, and here I am some 22 years later :). Do not be ashamed of going inactive as the Lord's own chosen apostles abandoned Him at Calvary. I think the process can make you even a stronger and better Christian. No need to apologize friend - much of the Church goes through a somewhat similar faith journey...

11 hours ago, DonBradley said:

The welcoming embrace I received from the church and its members has been one of the most profoundly moving experiences of my life.

When I was in the process of returning to the church, I reread the letter I had written to resign my membership, and cried. I had written that letter with the intention of using it to lock the door behind me so I could never go back. And when I re-read what I had written, I thought the church would never take me back. I called my bishop in a panic and he told me, "Son, if the church couldn't forgive, it couldn't be Christ's church." Weeks afterward I sat in this bishop's office as he invited me back into the church. A few days later, I was baptized.

My time away from the church was never used against me by others. When I announced my return on this board, as I recall the count I made at the time, over 200 people here posted to welcome me back. Instead, of holding my having left the church and having sparred with many of you against me, you celebrated my return like the prodigal son's father celebrated his return. I was moved to tears.

Just months later I was bowled over by an invitation to work for a time with the Joseph Smith Papers Project. While there I once got to speak with Elder Marlin K. Jenson, then the Church Historian. Elder Jenson told me, "I want you to know we know all about the little detour you took in your faith, and it doesn't matter. We're just glad to have you back." From everything that I have experienced in these ten years, I can attest that the church does indeed forgive.

Coming back to the church has opened up so many good things in my life. I'm so grateful for the beautiful way you, my brothers and sisters, have taken me back with open arms.

Thank you, thank you,

Don

We all do something stupid at least once in our lives.  I'm glad you decided to become a member again and I hope you still feel a strong assurance from the Lord telling you this Church is really his one and only true church.

Thanks again for your recent book.  I'm nearly finished. 

Seems every page, you make a claim, and my first thought is "Now how in the world is he going to back up such a broad assertion with such minimal evidence?", and then you reason it out over the subsequent pages.  Each time, I come away nodding my head that you managed to make a good argument for the claim. 

I'm very happy you are back and provided your unique perspective of the Book of Mormon

15 hours ago, Derl Sanderson said:

A wonderful milestone! I try to follow you and your work as much as I can. My copy of The Lost 116 Pages arrived just yesterday and I put it in my reading queue. You and all the other faithful scholars buoy my faith and stimulate my thinking more than you can ever know! But now, a serious concern: You must stop. You and all the rest of your wonderful colleagues need to stop your research and publishing immediately. Reason? I'm an old man and have so many of you people's books, online papers, and essays yet to read that I am deeply concerned I won't get through them before the Grim Reaper drops by. So gimme a break, will you?  

You needn't worry.  While, certainly, the lifting of the veil of forgetfulness will be a quantum leap in our knowledge (and who knows what wonderful books you read and how many reams of knowledge you acquired before ever even getting here?) that journey of knowledge and discovery continues, for who knows how many eons, after we shuffle off our mortal coils and leave this frail mortal existence. ;)

Happy Anniversary to you!

Happy Anniversary, Brother Bradley!

:yahoo::friends:

Congratulations Mr. Don!

Welcome to the ranks of "converts" to the church.  ;)   Eventually we all have to join those ranks!

Had I been born into it, frankly I would never have accepted the gold plates and angels and all of it, but it is the spirit who converts, and questioning and reason has to be a part of it, - not robotic unquestioned obedience to something you don't understand.

17 hours ago, Derl Sanderson said:

A wonderful milestone! I try to follow you and your work as much as I can. My copy of The Lost 116 Pages arrived just yesterday and I put it in my reading queue. You and all the other faithful scholars buoy my faith and stimulate my thinking more than you can ever know! But now, a serious concern: You must stop. You and all the rest of your wonderful colleagues need to stop your research and publishing immediately. Reason? I'm an old man and have so many of you people's books, online papers, and essays yet to read that I am deeply concerned I won't get through them before the Grim Reaper drops by. So gimme a break, will you?  

Hey, I get it!   I'm in the same boat!

But just think of all the great stuff we have to look forward to learning after we "wake up" ;)

3 minutes ago, readstoomuch said:

Your recent book on the lost 116 pages is really awesome.  I have respected your journey, comments and great scholarship over the last 10 years.  Best wishes to you and your work.  

Glad to see you, reads too much. Been awhile. 

On 7/14/2020 at 12:16 AM, DonBradley said:

Thank you, thank you,

Don

Hi Don,

I'm glad you are happy and have been accepted by the community.

On 7/14/2020 at 6:16 AM, DonBradley said:

I may be thinking of someone else, but wasn't there at least one critic of the church who expressed dismay here at your turnaround?

7 hours ago, readstoomuch said:

Glad to see someone misses me.  Super busy trying to keep a business running and afloat.  Don is such an inspiring guy.  I had to say something.

Good to see you and Don come out to visit! :)

I remember you when you were an apologist on the boards and when you left. And when you came back. You helped many people as an apologist and when you also came back with your story. I compared you with Oliver Cowdery and Martin Harris, who both left and also came back and helped many people with their stories.

2 hours ago, why me said:

I remember you when you were an apologist on the boards and when you left. And when you came back. You helped many people as an apologist and when you also came back with your story. I compared you with Oliver Cowdery and Martin Harris, who both left and also came back and helped many people with their stories.

Long time no see, why me!

1 hour ago, Tacenda said:

Long time no see, why me!

I kinda forgot about the board. There is so much going on these days with the virus etc. It was off my radar. Glad you are still around. And I am glad that Don is still active and going strong.