Jump to content

For Your Consideration....


Recommended Posts

There are times when I worry that I am loosing my edge, or my memory. I often walk out of my room to tell my wife something. Or other times when I forget why I even left my room, let alone remember what I wanted to tell her. So, I try to write poems, to see if I can still do it. So, today was one of those days. A storm was rolling by, so I decided to write about it. Due to where my house sits, on the top of a ridge, I can look down into a beautiful valley, where rolling thunder often comes out of it, a lot! So, here is hoping you enjoy it, so you can judge if I still can write...

In The Valley Known As Thunder

In the valley known as thunder, even light doth softly creep,
To listen out for echoes, in this valley vast and deep. 
To humbly ask permission, before it dare intrude,
For answers loud as thunder, are often heard as rude. 

Each morning when I rise, and there begin my search,
Joined by birds and Angels, while mounted on my perch. 
Though some may view this place, as just a guilted cage.
They are blinded by illusions, just like fiction on a page. 

But none can scarce deny, the beauty of this place,
A valley filled with wonder, which time cannot erase.
As the storms of life arise, and cause my soul to ponder,
Storms that shake the earth, with rolling sounds of thunder. 

As dogs and wolves cry out, in fear each and every time,
I marvel that God inspires me, again through verse and rhyme. 
A blessing God has given, if only for a while,
No matter the duration, until the final mile. 

This gift of beauty given, each day the sun renews,
A landscape laid before me, each day such splendid views.
A place that few will see, and less will ever cherish,
To see this site each day, until the day I perish. 

A beauty laid before me, surly meant for a greater sage,
A beauty that no author, could write on countless page. 
To watch the world ever turning, from long night to brighter day,
To marvel at such beauty, that no clock could ever age. 

Even as I write this, I can only scarce describe,
If only God appointed, an older and wiser scribe. 
But only my sad words, can describe this place of wonder,
In the hope that others imagine, the valley known as thunder. 
 
William E Lee
June 30, 2020

Please forgive any errors.

  • Like 3
Link to post

I do believe you can!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Stargazer said:

I do believe you can!

When I worked, I have an incredible memory. It allowed me to so many things before my retirement. As a result I wonder if my memory is due to my lack of activity due to current disabilities, or is it just going? Anyway, thank you for taking the time to read and comment. 

Edited by Bill “Papa” Lee
Link to post
7 hours ago, Bill “Papa” Lee said:

When I worked, I have an incredible memory. It allowed me to so many things before my retirement. As a result I wonder if my memory is due to my lack of activity due to current disabilities, or is it just going? Anyway, thank you for taking the time to read and comment. 

I'm always impressed with those who can communicate in verse. In general, writing poetry never held much fascination for me; prose was always my "thing." But that's probably because it never came easily to me; and since I'm a lazy duck, there we are. My attempts were always pathetic.

Only one poem I've ever written was worth anything.  And even then, not very much! Here it is...

If I were a toad

And sat in the road,

I'd probably get

Run over.

I once wrote a song, believe it or not! It was a little love ditty about a young woman I aspired to date, but never did. Words and music, too! The title was "Helen Baby". My brother, who is more a guitarist and singer than I ever was (he can sing and play nearly the entire Beatles catalog), has developed the song into a complete piece. I guess the song is sort of a poem, but not very much.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Stargazer said:

I'm always impressed with those who can communicate in verse. In general, writing poetry never held much fascination for me; prose was always my "thing." But that's probably because it never came easily to me; and since I'm a lazy duck, there we are. My attempts were always pathetic.

Only one poem I've ever written was worth anything.  And even then, not very much! Here it is...

If I were a toad

And sat in the road,

I'd probably get

Run over.

I once wrote a song, believe it or not! It was a little love ditty about a young woman I aspired to date, but never did. Words and music, too! The title was "Helen Baby". My brother, who is more a guitarist and singer than I ever was (he can sing and play nearly the entire Beatles catalog), has developed the song into a complete piece. I guess the song is sort of a poem, but not very much.

Poetry is not always in Rhyme, some of the greatest poetry ever pinned is in the lyrics of songs. Such as..

Sounds of Silence, Paul Simon

Both Sides Now (Clouds) Joni Mitchell 
 

Even “Amazing Grace”, which began as a sermon, by John Newton, a former Slave Trader, became one of the greatest Gospel songs of any age, past, present or future. 

Edited by Bill “Papa” Lee
  • Like 1
Link to post

And a rock feels no pain

And an island never cries

  • Like 1
Link to post
Posted (edited)
On 7/16/2020 at 11:55 PM, USU78 said:

And a rock feels no pain

And an island never cries

I love that song, Paul Simon is one of the greatest modern day poets and songwriters, ever! Also Neil Diamond, and one of his greatest songs, “I Am”. 
 

And to continue with Paul Simon, and the song you quoted in part...

”...I have my books, and my poetry to protect me. I am shielded in my armor, hiding in my room, safe within my womb. I touch no one, and no one touches me...” 
 

*or I hope I quoted it correctly* 

Edited by Bill “Papa” Lee
Link to post

You grade out at an A+

  • Like 1
Link to post

Mountain shadow, mountain shadow

Lay your shade on me

Don't let the sun arise and wipe the sleep out of my eyes

Mountain shadow

 

In the darkness of my slumber

I go to lands yet unveiled

the new day won't let me remember

these waters I've sailed

 

It's my peace  its my horror

Its my joy and agony

the memories, fears and desires 

in perfect harmony

 

-Author Relatively Unknown

  • Like 1
Link to post
3 hours ago, MustardSeed said:

Mountain shadow, mountain shadow

Lay your shade on me

Don't let the sun arise and wipe the sleep out of my eyes

Mountain shadow

 

In the darkness of my slumber

I go to lands yet unveiled

the new day won't let me remember

these waters I've sailed

 

It's my peace  its my horror

Its my joy and agony

the memories, fears and desires 

in perfect harmony

 

-Author Relatively Unknown

At first glance, I thought of “Moon Shadow”, by Cat Stephens. :)  

  • Like 1
Link to post
On 7/21/2020 at 7:32 PM, MustardSeed said:

Mountain shadow, mountain shadow

Lay your shade on me

Don't let the sun arise and wipe the sleep out of my eyes

Mountain shadow

 

In the darkness of my slumber

I go to lands yet unveiled

the new day won't let me remember

these waters I've sailed

 

It's my peace  its my horror

Its my joy and agony

the memories, fears and desires 

in perfect harmony

 

-Author Relatively Unknown

Is the author someone going by the moniker MustardSeed?

Link to post
15 hours ago, MustardSeed said:

Of course!! :D  

Nice! I'm not a connoisseur of poetry, so I am hardly one to do a review -- but that's a nice poem! :D 

Link to post
On 7/28/2020 at 1:41 PM, Stargazer said:

Nice! I'm not a connoisseur of poetry, so I am hardly one to do a review -- but that's a nice poem! :D 

Very kind of you.  Im a song writer of sorts.  Thank you

Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...