Seriously No Politics ×

What Are We to do, When Those in My Age Bracket Have, or Will Be Away So Long?

12 minutes ago, nuclearfuels said:

It seems like each ward I attend, people interpret and teach the gospel according to thier own political views, same as I would do if I was teaching.

And tobe honest, I can't seem to process lessons God has in store for me when the setting is a group context. 

My very first calling in the church was as a FHE group leader in a singles Ward, and then within a year I was THE Gospel Doctrine teacher in a family ward.  And I was hardly "orthodox" in my personal interpretation of the gospel- my views then were as they are now pretty much.

I get it.  ;)

14 minutes ago, mfbukowski said:

In my opinion I would find them mostly "pros".   I have always had a hard time with "Mormon" culture.  Just to make it clear, I am separating the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints from "mormons"  ;)

I remember meeting my wife's huge family at a Sunday Dinner- and marveled at green jello with shredded carrots served on lettuce, like a salad.   I was not sure if I should save it for desert or eat it with the meal.   The kids seemed to avoid eating it at all.  Rather confusing.  ;)

But hopefully you did not have a copy of "Mormon Doctrine", which it wasn't.  ;)

Of course we had 'Mormon Doctrine'.... it was the eighties!  😎

1 hour ago, USU78 said:

Pflichtsmensch.  It's a thing.

Kaiser Franz Joseph I.

Danke sehr

I got it BAD, but then I burn myself out.  No bueno as we say in LA-LA Land

Gotta find the right adjustment screw in my head.

On 7/6/2020 at 1:35 PM, strappinglad said:

Having heard some odd doctrines expressed in regular SS classes, I wonder what the membership will come out with after several months of " home study " . 😊

If they stick with the curriculum of the Church, they should be OK. 

That’s a big “if,” I know. But those who are inclined to go off the rails will find a way to do so even when the Church is fully operational. They are very resourceful in that respect. 

On 7/7/2020 at 1:25 PM, mfbukowski said:

I need to work on actually getting something from meetings, I guess.

I see them more as a chance to serve, which pretty much is "work" and I am naturally lazy.  Gotta turn that one around. ;)

For me it is nice to stay at home and take a day off to commune with God instead of getting dressed up and going to "work" ;)

There’s nothing wrong with regarding one’s own attendance at Church meetings as service separate and apart from the personal benefit one derives from it or lack thereof. 

I draw insight from Elder David A. Bednar’s recently expressed observation that we need to gather, because if we don’t we’ll scatter. If my attending Church meetings is doing my bit to keep the Church from scattering, that is motivation enough for me to do so. 

On 7/7/2020 at 2:44 PM, mfbukowski said:

In my opinion I would find them mostly "pros".   I have always had a hard time with "Mormon" culture.  Just to make it clear, I am separating the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints from "mormons"  ;)

I remember meeting my wife's huge family at a Sunday Dinner- and marveled at green jello with shredded carrots served on lettuce, like a salad.   I was not sure if I should save it for desert or eat it with the meal.   The kids seemed to avoid eating it at all.  Rather confusing.  ;)

But hopefully you did not have a copy of "Mormon Doctrine", which it wasn't.  ;)

I’ve not seen Jello with shredded carrots and served on lettuce in more than a generation. I think we are far enough removed from it that we can relegate it to the status of lore. 

It’s like the decorative glass grapes that women made in Relief Society back when I was a kid. It had its day but has long since gone away. 

2 hours ago, Scott Lloyd said:

I’ve not seen Jello with shredded carrots and served on lettuce in more than a generation. I think we are far enough removed from it that we can relegate it to the status of lore. 

Well maybe for kids like you ;), but for grown-ups it is still part of the culture.  :)

Yes I know you are retired, and yes calling you a kid was supposed to be a "joke".  

But the jello episode was a mere 41 years ago, so if that qualifies as "a generation" it may be- for some.  🧐

After all history seems quite important hereabouts.

51 minutes ago, mfbukowski said:

Well maybe for kids like you ;), but for grown-ups it is still part of the culture.  :)

Yes I know you are retired, and yes calling you a kid was supposed to be a "joke".  

But the jello episode was a mere 41 years ago, so if that qualifies as "a generation" it may be- for some.  🧐

After all history seems quite important hereabouts.

That’s at least a generation — maybe close to two. 

On 7/6/2020 at 5:03 PM, Robert F. Smith said:

Actually it isn't that simple.  Many parts of America and the world are not yet wired or equipped for internet or wifi.  The costs of getting internet into rural America, etc., are gargantuan, much more than any money the LDS Church has.  This has to be done at a governmental level in many areas and countries.  All large cities in America, all metropolitan areas, are already well wired for internet service.  Making sure that members get access is easy.  It is the rural backwaters which have the greatest difficulty getting access.  Even getting TV is nearly impossible.

The Congress has been considering a bill to get the internet into rural schools at least.

One word: Starlink https://www.starlink.com

On 7/6/2020 at 3:29 PM, Tacenda said:

Papa, is there a way to get laptops to these people without them, and someone to show them how to use, and then have zoom meetings somehow? I think that would be a dealbreaker. Of course not everyone can afford internet etc. I wish the church could help with the cost as well. I have an Acer laptop that was only around 200. I think the church should help these people out, that's what tithing is for am I correct? And we all know the funds the church has at their disposal. By laptop they'd be able to watch conference as well. This should be a no brainer for the church to do.

Not sure? I did try to teach my mother things before Alzheimer’s took her, more than anything I just wanted her to write her life story, but could not help her understand. I have friends who I have tried to explain how they could use and understand  IPad,’s (both in and out of Church) their mindset was “don’t want or need to know”. However this was long before the world of COVID, in large part just nonsense. Until I broke my back, and could no longer sit up hours a day with a laptop, I did not care to use, or learn to use an IPad. In fact it was not until my injuries that I cared much for Social Networks, Church Libraries, etc. Now I can see and understand the value of such things, more than ever before.

On 7/6/2020 at 4:01 PM, Robert F. Smith said:

All very good ideas, Tacenda, and the Church does have the expertise and funds to make it happen -- if directed by the Prophet.  However, it isn't only laptops and training that are needed, but access to the internet/wifi.  Many parts of the USA and the world do not have internet access.  It is very important that the Church explore getting access for everyone.

So true, 1/3 of the entire planet does not have reliable electricity in their homes, much less WiFi.