Latter-day Saint Prophet as Prophet Over All Christianity .

Posted (edited)

A few days ago, one of the members of our forum posted the following. I found it to be utterly fascinating and have thought a lot about it ever since. Here is what was said, referring to President Nelson:

I realize that not all people feel this way, but we believe he is the prophet for the whole world and not just members. . .” 

(emphasis mine)

I think this is a very interesting and important comment that certainly garnered its share of likes from the members of this forum. That is of course, no surprise. I have never heard this before, nor do I ever remember reading this in any LDS writings.

Four questions:

Does anyone on this forum know any non-LDS Christians who accept or acknowledge President Nelson as their Prophet (I am capitalizing the word because it seems to me it deserves capitalization if he is thee Prophet for all Christianity in this dispensation? 

Do all or the vast majority of LDS Christians believe this to be true?

Is it a doctrine of the church, and if so, where is it spelled out in writing? If it is a doctrine of the church, I think it is very important that the non-LDS Christian community is aware of this. I have a feeling that 99% of the 99% of Christians who are not LDS, are not aware of this doctrine or belief. Or maybe I have just missed it in all my study!

My last question is a bit harder to word. If he is thee Prophet for all of Christianity, what does that mean? How does that play out in the real world? How does he fulfill that role on a day to day basis? What is his pastoral or administrative authority as such, in and over the non-LDS portion of Christianity? Does he actively teach this? Has any LDS president ever actually done or said anything in that role? Or is it something assumed by the faithful, but never actually taught? I must admit I have never thought of this before. It is very interesting.

To the Catholic folks on the forum, do Catholics believe and teach that the Pope is thee Prophet for all of Christianity in the world, including LDS Christians, or is he the head and Prophet of the Roman Catholic church? Does the Patriarch of the Eastern Orthodox Community, I believe his name is Bartholomew, believe and teach that he is the Prophet or Patriarch for all of Christianity in the world, including the LDS, Baptist, Pentecostal Christians of the world? Are there any such competing claims in the rest of Christianity? This kind of claim really floats my boat. I find it fascinating to think about. Thanks to all for your thoughts.

Edited by Navidad
11 minutes ago, Navidad said:

A few days ago, one of the members of our forum posted the following. I found it to be utterly fascinating and have thought a lot about it ever since. Here is what was said, referring to President Nelson:

I realize that not all people feel this way, but we believe he is the prophet for the whole world and not just members. . .” 

(emphasis mine)

I think this is a very interesting and important comment that certainly garnered its share of likes from the members of this forum. That is of course, no surprise. I have never heard this before, nor do I ever remember reading this in any LDS writings.

Four questions:

Does anyone on this forum know any non-LDS Christians who accept or acknowledge President Nelson as their Prophet (I am capitalizing the word because it seems to me it deserves capitalization if he is thee Prophet for all Christianity in this dispensation? 

Is it a doctrine of the church, and if so, where is it spelled out in writing? If it is a doctrine of the church, I think it is very important that the non-LDS Christian community is aware of this. I have a feeling that 99% of the 99% of Christians who are not LDS, are not aware of this doctrine or belief. Or maybe I have just missed it in all my study!

My last question is a bit harder to word. If he is thee Prophet for all of Christianity, what does that mean? How does that play out in the real world? How does he fulfill that role on a day to day basis? What is his pastoral or administrative authority as such, in and over the non-LDS portion of Christianity? Does he actively teach this? Has any LDS president ever actually done or said anything in that role? Or is it something assumed by the faithful, but never actually taught? I must admit I have never thought of this before. It is very interesting.

To the Catholic folks on the forum, do Catholics believe and teach that the Pope is thee Prophet for all of Christianity in the world, including LDS Christians, or is he the head and Prophet of the Roman Catholic church? Does the Patriarch of the Eastern Orthodox Community, I believe his name is Bartholomew, believe and teach that he is the Prophet or Patriarch for all of Christianity in the world, including the LDS, Baptist, Pentecostal Christians of the world? Are there any such competing claims in the rest of Christianity? This kind of claim really floats my boat. I find it fascinating to think about. Thanks to all for your thoughts.

It basically means, about 2 percent of the world population is going to make it then. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Navidad said:

(emphasis mine)

Four questions:

Yes this is a very basic Doctrine that everyone knows.  It is taught in Sunday school, priesthood, over the pulpit etc. all the time.  

It is in the interview questions for being baptized and going to the temple.

It is surprising you have not heard of it.

Yet again it is a statement that WE are THE Church of Jesus Christ.

Sorry that that bothers you but that is our belief and has been in every thread  we have discussed 

Edited by mfbukowski
  • Like 3
27 minutes ago, Navidad said:

Does anyone on this forum know any non-LDS Christians who accept or acknowledge President Nelson as their Prophet 

I have seen on YouTube others of different faith believe in the Book of Mormon, but I do not know if there are those of different faiths who believe the LDS Prophet to be a Prophet. I guess with the amount of people in the world there would be some. Technically, those receiving the missionary lessons are to believe this as it is a baptismal requirement. Thus, they are not yet members and they have to have faith that President Nelson is a Prophet. I guess this could be answered by a simple google search.

I cannot say what others believe to be true, but I would assume if they are members, then yes the vast majority would believe that Russell M. Nelson is the Lords' spokesperson at this time, and is a prophet of God. I believe President Nelson, his counselors, the Twelve Apostles are all prophets seers and revelators.

Yes, I believe it is doctrine. When I was a missionary, interviewing those who have requested baptism it was one of the questions they had to answer in the affirmative (i.e., that they believed President Kimball was a prophet of God). When I would give a temple recommend interview it was also one of the questions.

Of course many of those who are not LDS are not aware. This should not be surprising.

Your final question was more than a final question (just saying, one of my pet peeves)

If he is thee Prophet for all of Christianity, what does that mean?

It means he is the Lord's Prophet for not just Christianity, but for the entire world.

How does that play out in the real world?

I would think most do not know or those who have some knowledge reject the idea.

How does he fulfill that role on a day to day basis?

Doing what he is doing doing now.

What is his pastoral or administrative authority as such, in and over the non-LDS portion of Christianity?

To be a witness of Jesus Christ and bring those closer to Him so they may hear Him.

Does he actively teach this?

Yes. See here

Has any LDS president ever actually done or said anything in that role?

Yes, I believe so. It is my belief each President of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints have had their own trials and successes and each was needed to be the spokesperson of the Lord at their time.

Or is it something assumed by the faithful, but never actually taught?

Well, if they are the faithful, then yes it is assumed. Yes, it is actually taught (see my response above as a missionary)

Thanks to all for your thoughts.

Thanks for the opportunity to express my thoughts.

• Like 2
38 minutes ago, Navidad said:

(emphasis mine)

Four questions:

Four questions:

Does anyone on this forum know any non-LDS Christians who accept or acknowledge President Nelson as their Prophet (I am capitalizing the word because it seems to me it deserves capitalization if he is thee Prophet for all Christianity in this dispensation? I highly doubt it.

Do all or the vast majority of LDS Christians believe this to be true? Probably in a way once it were pointed out to them, but most LS Christians probably do not think about it much.

Is it a doctrine of the church, and if so, where is it spelled out in writing? He has the distinction of the only mortal that directs the use of the restored priesthood keys on earth ("holds all the keys").

My last question is a bit harder to word. If he is thee Prophet for all of Christianity, what does that mean? He has the distinction of the only mortal that directs the use of the restored priesthood keys on earth ("holds all the keys"). How does that play out in the real world? See above How does he fulfill that role on a day to day basis? See above What is his pastoral or administrative authority as such, in and over the non-LDS portion of Christianity? See the proclamations and joint statements made with other secular and religious groups Does he actively teach this? See 3rd and 4th answers Has any LDS president ever actually done or said anything in that role? See the proclamations and joint statements made with other secular and religious groups Or is it something assumed by the faithful, but never actually taught? see 2nd answer I must admit I have never thought of this before. It is very interesting.

• Like 2
59 minutes ago, Tacenda said:

It basically means, about 2 percent of the world population is going to make it then. 

It took Christianity 400 years or so to emerge from obscure sect status, and by that time, it had assimilated with Greek philosophy to the point that more would find it acceptable.

• Like 1

The understanding that there is a single person that holds the Keys of the Priesthood is a common belief and understanding of Church teaching. Necessarily, the Prophet bears a pastoral responsibility for all of God's children. He leads, guides, and directs the fulfillment of spreading the Gospel of Jesus Christ to every corner of the world; that all will be warned of the reality of Jesus Christ in fulfillment of the Great Commission. 

A prophet does not stop being a prophet because one does not know of him, believe him, or follow him. His calling remains as prophet for all.  

• Like 2
1 hour ago, mfbukowski said:

Yes this is a very basic Doctrine that everyone knows.  It is taught in Sunday school, priesthood, over the pulpit etc. all the time.  

Sorry that that bothers you but that is our belief and has been in every thread  we have discussed 

Did I say it bothers me? On the other hand, I find this fascinating! I can truly say that never in anything I have read or heard that the President of the LDS Church is considered the head of the entire Christian church, or broader yet is the ranking authority for the entire population of the earth. I also have never thought that our bishop, as wonderful as he is, is the presiding authority for all those who live within the geographical boundary of our ward. Colonia Juarez, even as a prominent old LDS colony, is minority LDS. There are Catholics, Pentecostals, and I am sure many who affiliate with no church. I always have pushed against the LDS Church being the only truly Christian church in the world. Yes, I have heard that taught. But I never thought of our bishop as the spiritual head of everyone who lives in our entire area. There goes the idea of our voluntarily submitting to his authority! He is over us whether we submit or not! That is the teaching is it not?

8 minutes ago, Navidad said:

Did I say it bothers me? On the other hand, I find this fascinating! I can truly say that never in anything I have read or heard that the President of the LDS Church is considered the head of the entire Christian church, or broader yet is the ranking authority for the entire population of the earth.

The "Kingdom of God," in its full flower, will exercise civil authority.  The Church, as presently constituted, does not do that.

Consider, for example, D&C 103 (emphasis added) :

1 Verily I say unto you, my friends, behold, I will give unto you a revelation and commandment, that you may know how to act in the discharge of your duties concerning the salvation and redemption of your brethren, who have been scattered on the land of Zion;
2 Being driven and smitten by the hands of mine enemies, on whom I will pour out my wrath without measure in mine own time.
3 For I have suffered them thus far, that they might fill up the measure of their iniquities, that their cup might be full;
4 And that those who call themselves after my name might be chastened for a little season with a sore and grievous chastisement, because they did not hearken altogether unto the precepts and commandments which I gave unto them.
5 But verily I say unto you, that I have decreed a decree which my people shall realize, inasmuch as they hearken from this very hour unto the counsel which I, the Lord their God, shall give unto them.
6 Behold they shall, for I have decreed it, begin to prevail against mine enemies from this very hour.
7 And by hearkening to observe all the words which I, the Lord their God, shall speak unto them, they shall never cease to prevail until the kingdoms of the world are subdued under my feet, and the earth is given unto the saints, to possess it forever and ever.

And Articles of Faith 1:10:

We believe in the literal gathering of Israel and in the restoration of the Ten Tribes; that Zion (the New Jerusalem) will be built upon the American continent; that Christ will reign personally upon the earth; and, that the earth will be renewed and receive its paradisiacal glory.

See also this excerpt from the Church's "True to the Faith" manual:

One key element of the separation of church and state is the government’s responsibility to grant freedom of religion. Latter-day prophets support this principle, as stated in the eleventh article of faith: “We claim the privilege of worshiping Almighty God according to the dictates of our own conscience, and allow all men the same privilege, let them worship how, where, or what they may.” Consistent with the separation of church and state, the Church does not endorse any political party or candidate. It does not permit the use of its buildings and facilities for political purposes. The Church does not participate in politics unless there is a moral question at issue, in which case the Church will often speak out.

We believe that a pure theocracy - including civil authority - will happen in the future, when Jesus Christ comes to personally reign. 

Meanwhile, however, the Church claims no civil authority for itself, and in fact specifically disclaims such.

I also have never thought that our bishop, as wonderful as he is, is the presiding authority for all those who live within the geographical boundary of our ward.

"Presiding authority" only in the sense espoused by the Church.  

And I think a better descriptor would be that the bishop has "responsibility" or "stewardship" for "all those who live within the geographical boundary of {his} ward."

Colonia Juarez, even as a prominent old LDS colony, is minority LDS. There are Catholics, Pentecostals, and I am sure many who affiliate with no church. I always have pushed against the LDS Church being the only truly Christian church in the world. Yes, I have heard that taught. But I never thought of our bishop as the spiritual head of everyone who lives in our entire area.

Again, I'm not sure I would put it this way.  A bishop's authority over non-members is essentially inchoate.  

There goes the idea of our voluntarily submitting to his authority!

That's not correct.  As I said before, there is no coercion or duress in view.  The only ones who are subject to his "authority" are those who have voluntarily submitted themselves to it.

He is over us whether we submit or not! That is the teaching is it not?

Not.

Thanks,

-Smac

• Like 4
2 hours ago, smac97 said:

To "the world," not just to "the Church."  In the concluding paragraph, the leaders of the Church "call upon responsible citizens and officers of government everywhere."

"The world" falls within the priesthood stewardship of the Church.  

Thanks,

-Smac

Thanks for the reply. I would be being false, if I said I understand based on the information you provided. I don't see anything in the scripture or web information you cited that hints that he presides over anything more than the LDS church. I must be missing something. Also the role of a prophet as I understand it never was and is all "benign." If the President of the LDS church is thee prophet (as opposed to "a" prophet as some have mentioned) he would have the right and indeed, responsibility to challenge and/or rebuke negligent Christians wherever he found them, in whatever church or in no church. He would be thee voice of God to all church leaders across the globe (or universe - in Mike's view).

You are a terrific explainer of things. I just don't understand it, but that is typical. My mind wants to go deeper until I understand. If President Nelson is God's sole and only voice on earth, then he has the responsibility morally and spiritually to declare God's words to the entire earth - to admonish, scold, rebuke, comfort, and praise with no regard to the reception or outcome. That is what OT prophets did! He has an unbelievable weight on his shoulders. I think I have watched every conference talk he has given as president. I have never seen him look into the camera and said he was speaking to all Christians everywhere. I am willing to go back and listen again in light of this new information.

Sometimes I think the LDS church makes really bold statements about things, but then when you dig into them, there is caveat after caveat until the bold statements are almost meaningless. I hope that isn't offensive. I don't mean to say that to be offensive. I do find it frustrating however. Thanks for listening.

41 minutes ago, mfbukowski said:

Ok gang, ready to flip out?

We know that Christ's sacrifice on this planet, was the infinite sacrifice for all the worlds God has made 

So is our prophet then THE prophet for the universe?

No wonder there are so many UFO sightings lately.

They're just trying to get the latest conference report. ;)

You are too much .......clever as can be........but too much!

• Like 1
54 minutes ago, Storm Rider said:

A prophet does not stop being a prophet because one does not know of him, believe him, or follow him. His calling remains as prophet for all.  

Could you please expand on your use of the word "all." Who or what is included in your concept of "all?" Thanks.

27 minutes ago, smac97 said:

The "Kingdom of God," in its full flower, will exercise civil authority.  The Church, as presently constituted, does not do that.

Consider, for example, D&C 103 (emphasis added) :

And Articles of Faith 1:10:

See also this excerpt from the Church's "True to the Faith" manual:

We believe that a pure theocracy - including civil authority - will happen in the future, when Jesus Christ comes to personally reign. 

Meanwhile, however, the Church claims no civil authority for itself, and in fact specifically disclaims such.

"Presiding authority" only in the sense espoused by the Church.  

And I think a better descriptor would be that the bishop has "responsibility" or "stewardship" for "all those who live within the geographical boundary of {his} ward."

Again, I'm not sure I would put it this way.  A bishop's authority over non-members is essentially inchoate.  

That's not correct.  As I said before, there is no coercion or duress in view.  The only ones who are subject to his "authority" are those who have voluntarily submitted themselves to it.

Not.

Thanks,

-Smac

I think the church at one time had a theocracy, that is why they were run out of Illinois. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_government_(Mormonism)

2 hours ago, mfbukowski said:

Here are the baptismal questions straight from the LDS website:

Baptismal Interview Questions

1. Do you believe that God is our Eternal Father? Do you believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God and the Savior and Redeemer of the world?

2. Do you believe that the Church and gospel of Jesus Christ have been restored through the Prophet Joseph Smith? Do you believe that [current Church President] is a prophet of God? What does this mean to you?

3. What does it mean to you to repent? Do you feel that you have repented of your past transgressions?

4. Have you ever committed a serious crime? If so, are you now on probation or parole? Have you ever participated in an abortion? Have you ever committed a homosexual transgression?

5. You have been taught that membership in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints includes living gospel standards. What do you understand about the following standards? Are you willing to obey them?

1. The law of chastity, which prohibits any sexual relationship outside the bonds of a legal marriage between one man and one woman.

2. The law of tithing.

3. The Word of Wisdom.

4. The Sabbath day, including partaking of the sacrament weekly and rendering service to others.

6. When you are baptized, you covenant with God that you are willing to take upon yourself the name of Christ and keep His commandments throughout your life. Are you ready to make this covenant and strive to be faithful to it?

The only reference (number 2)  says that "the current Church President is a prophet of God. What does this mean to you?"  "A prophet of God" is not the same as saying he is "thee prophet of God over all the earth (or universe!). The latter is the question at hand. I have always said I believe the President Nelson is a prophet of God. What does that mean to me? That he is in the same category as Billy Graham and Dwight Moody. I don't know if that is a satisfactory answer? I have been told it probably depends on the bishop. But nothing in these questions is relevant to my OP.

Here is the relevant question in the temple recommend interview - Do you sustain the President of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints as the prophet, seer, and revelator and as the only person on the earth authorized to exercise all priesthood keys?  I have read that question many times. I have always thought of it as referring to him as the prophet, seer and revelator of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints since that is the predicate. I have always in my mind, inserted the letters LDS in front of "priesthood keys." I know of no other Christian group who actively speak of priesthood keys. So in my understanding, I limited both of those to the LDS Church. I guess that is the wrong answer. I don't think this is quite as clear as you suggest in either interview.

23 minutes ago, Navidad said:

Could you please expand on your use of the word "all." Who or what is included in your concept of "all?" Thanks.

In this context, it means the entire world - all of God's children on earth at the time of a given prophet. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, smac97 said:

And by hearkening to observe all the words which I, the Lord their God, shall speak unto them, they shall never cease to prevail until the kingdoms of the world are subdued under my feet, and the earth is given unto the saints, to possess it forever and ever.

Thanks again for a thorough reply.  You cannot know how much I appreciate it. I am in complete accord with everything you said and quoted in your post. I believe in a literal millennium and reign of Christ on earth in a literal kingdom. I am not sure of the exact definition of "saints" in the D&C passage you mentioned. I believe the Kingdom of God in a prophetic sense is for all those who were faithful in life - all Christians (when the saints go marching in!) who in God's understanding passed that test. If by saints you mean only Latter-day Saints, then I guess I would confess to a disagreement. As I just wrote back . . . I am still not exactly sure in what way or manner President Nelson is active as thee prophet for the entire Christian world in this day and age. Some here will grow irritated at me for that. I want to dig deeper until I reach understanding! That is just me! Sorry about that!

Edited by Navidad
  • Like 1
8 minutes ago, Storm Rider said:

In this context, it means the entire world - all of God's children on earth at the time of a given prophet. 

OK. Thanks - that helps!

I do not know anyone outside the church who believes this. I think many would find it offensive and/or laughable.

"Chapel Mormons" undoubtedly. Mileage probably varies among others. It's not something I discuss with others regularly (or ever) but my guess would be most haven't given it much thought and/or don't care.

Is it a doctrine of the church, and if so, where is it spelled out in writing?

I suppose it depends on your definition of doctrine. In book it is not doctrine, but is a belief or teaching of some members. My definition of doctrine is very narrow.

If he is the Prophet for all of Christianity, what does that mean? How does that play out in the real world? How does he fulfill that role on a day to day basis? What is his pastoral or administrative authority as such, in and over the non-LDS portion of Christianity? Does he actively teach this? Has any LDS president ever actually done or said anything in that role? Or is it something assumed by the faithful, but never actually taught?

Tougher to ask and tougher to answer. Some of the presidents have probably believed they are speaking to or on behalf of all Christians. But it only matters to them what they believe - if other Christians don't believe it they really have no control over that. I have heard the similar teaching that bishops are the bishop of all the ward boundary and is thus responsible for all people who live in the ward geographic area. Note that I live in an area where less than .01 of us are members, so for the rest of the non-member population to buy that is a stretch. Also, were the majority of the poor in the area to start showing up and asking for welfare, the bishop would have his wringing hands quite full.

Final points:

It is also a Catholic teaching that the pope is the leader/prophet of all Christianity. Protestants don't buy that neither do we. Why should we expect any of them to believe any differently about our president?

My personal opinion, if not already obvious, is that the president of the church is our leader and not the leader of Christianity. He and other members can believe whatever they want on the subject (and efforts to convert me on the subject are futile so your time and effort would be best spent on someone who might be persuaded to change).

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Navidad said:

It doesn’t matter whether they believe it or not. What matters is if he has truly been called by God. 

As all questions regarding authority, the answer is the well-known and documented LDS doctrine of Priesthood keys.

D&C 132:7 And verily I say unto you, that the conditions of this law are these: All covenants, contracts, bonds, obligations, oaths, vows, performances, connections, associations, or expectations, that are not made and entered into and sealed by the Holy Spirit of promise, of him who is anointed, both as well for time and for all eternity, and that too most holy, by revelation and commandment through the medium of mine anointed, whom I have appointed on the earth to hold this power (and I have appointed unto my servant Joseph to hold this power in the last days, and there is never but one on the earth at a time on whom this power and the keys of this priesthood are conferred), are of no efficacy, virtue, or force in and after the resurrection from the dead; for all contracts that are not made unto this end have an end when men are dead.

My last question is a bit harder to word. If he is thee Prophet for all of Christianity, what does that mean? How does that play out in the real world? How does he fulfill that role on a day to day basis? What is his pastoral or administrative authority as such, in and over the non-LDS portion of Christianity? Does he actively teach this? Has any LDS president ever actually done or said anything in that role? Or is it something assumed by the faithful, but never actually taught?

Priesthood keys. See above scripture.

D&C 65:1 Hearken, and lo, a voice as of one sent down from on high, who is mighty and powerful, whose going forth is unto the ends of the earth, yea, whose voice is unto men—Prepare ye the way of the Lord, make his paths straight.

2 The keys of the kingdom of God are committed unto man on the earth, and from thence shall the gospel roll forth unto the ends of the earth, as the stone which is cut out of the mountain without hands shall roll forth, until it has filled the whole earth.

3 Yea, a voice crying—Prepare ye the way of the Lord, prepare ye the supper of the Lamb, make ready for the Bridegroom.

4 Pray unto the Lord, call upon his holy name, make known his wonderful works among the people.

5 Call upon the Lord, that his kingdom may go forth upon the earth, that the inhabitants thereof may receive it, and be prepared for the days to come, in the which the Son of Man shall come down in heaven, clothed in the brightness of his glory, to meet the kingdom of God which is set up on the earth.

6 Wherefore, may the kingdom of God go forth, that the kingdom of heaven may come, that thou, O God, mayest be glorified in heaven so on earth, that thine enemies may be subdued; for thine is the honor, power and glory, forever and ever. Amen.

Keys are the key.

Edited by Bernard Gui
  • Like 2

Every person I know believers that their leaders are most correct and the best represnetivey of Christ throughout the world -- hence why they acknowledge them as a leader.  LDS Christians are the same in that regard.

Of course.  

The fact that the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints believes that it is Christ's one true church is stated all over the place, and very well known pretty much everywhere.

He is the Christ's mouth piece to the entire world.  Not just LDS Christians or general Christian, the entire world.

His words are for all, everything is for all.  Yes this is thoroughly proclaimed.  

No, do non-LDS Christians spend much time listening?  No, let's be honest.  But the call is still there.

(Answering this to my best understanding as non-Catholic).

Catholics don't even acknowledge LDS Christians as Christians.  But yes they do believe the Pope to be for the entire world, which does include LDS folks. 

Other groups are likewise. 

5 hours ago, Tacenda said:

No it means 2% have a head start.

• Like 2
32 minutes ago, Bernard Gui said:

It doesn’t matter whether they believe it or not. What matters is if he has truly been called by God. 

As all questions regarding authority, the answer is the well-known and documented LDS doctrine of Priesthood keys.

Priesthood keys. See above scripture.

Keys are the key.

Hi Bernard - I have copied the entire page on the church website about priesthood keys.

What are priesthood keys?

Priesthood keys are the right to preside over and direct the Church within a jurisdiction. Keys usually apply to a geographic area, like a ward, stake, or mission. They also usually include authority over specific ordinances and activities (for instance, baptism, the sacrament, missionary work, and temple work).

Where do priesthood keys come from?

All priesthood keys ultimately come from Heavenly Father through His Son, Jesus Christ. Joseph Smith taught, “The keys [of the priesthood] have to be brought from heaven whenever the Gospel is sent” (Teachings of Presidents of the Church: Joseph Smith [2007], 104). The keys necessary for governing the Church in the latter days were restored to Joseph Smith by heavenly beings—for instance, John the Baptist, Peter, James, John, Moses, Elias, and Elijah (see Joseph Smith—History 1:72; D&C 27:12; D&C 110:11–12). These keys have been passed on to his successors.

What do priesthood keys do? Why are they necessary?

Ordinances such as baptism and the sacrament help us to return to Heavenly Father in the celestial kingdom. Through the keys of the priesthood, the Church administers these ordinances and provides an organization to carry on the work of the Lord in an orderly manner—“Mine house is a house of order, saith the Lord God, and not a house of confusion” (D&C 132:8).

So, for instance, although the Church has many worthy priesthood holders, they need authorization from someone holding keys before performing most ordinances. For example, if Aaronic Priesthood holders hear about a homebound ward member who would like to receive the sacrament at home, they cannot simply go and administer the sacrament to that member because they believe it’s the right thing to do. They must be authorized by the bishop, who holds the keys over the Aaronic Priesthood. And a father who holds the priesthood cannot simply baptize his 8-year-old daughter or ordain his 12-year-old son to the Aaronic Priesthood without first being authorized by the bishop to do so.

Who has priesthood keys?

Members of the First Presidency and Quorum of the Twelve Apostles hold all the keys necessary for governing the Church. Only the President of the Church has the right to exercise all of those keys. He delegates these keys to others who preside in the Church—temple presidents, mission presidents, stake presidents, district presidents, bishops, branch presidents, and quorum presidents, including deacons and teachers quorum presidents.

In every case the priesthood keys are to govern, administer ordinances, provide an organization, and direct the Church. It is clear the Church refers to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I see nothing therein about anything that isn't related specifically to "the Church." All of the context refers to the LDS Church. So how are the LDS priesthood keys the key to the question "Is the LDS president thee prophet over the entire Christian community, and if so how is he currently active in that role?  It is a humongous concept that as SMAC97 seems to believe is inchoate at best.