Demon Possession

I met a girl last night that was most surely possessed by a demonic spirit. I felt really bad that I do not hold  the Melkesidek priesthood. I did not know what to do to help her besides feeding her dinner. I'm sure the priesthood is spelled wrong. Sorry for that I'm talking to my phone. If anyone could fill me in on what standard practice is,  I would appreciate it.

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, Tacenda said:

IMNSHO, I don't believe it could be a demon. Maybe mental illness, sorry.

How do you feel about Chad Daybell and his friends?  Those who are still alive that is?

2 hours ago, rodheadlee said:

I met a girl last night that was most surely possessed by a demonic spirit. I felt really bad that I do not hold  the Melkesidek priesthood. I did not know what to do to help her besides feeding her dinner. I'm sure the priesthood is spelled wrong. Sorry for that I'm talking to my phone. If anyone could fill me in on what standard practice is,  I would appreciate it.

You may want to read Stephen Taysom, “’Satan Mourns Naked Upon the Earth’: Locating Mormon Possession and Exorcism Rituals in the American Religious Landscape, 1830-1977,” Religion and American Culture: a Journal of Interpretation, 27/1 (Winter 2017):57-94, online at https://www.academia.edu/31631773/_Satan_Mourns_Naked_Upon_the_Earth_Locating_Mormon_Possession_and_Exorcism_Rituals_in_the_American_Religious_Landscape_1830-1977_Religion_and_American_Culture_a_Journal_of_Interpretation_27_1_Winter_2017_?email_work_card=view-paper , and at DOI: https://doi.org/10.1525/rac.2017.27.1.57 .

Abstract
Since its inception in 1830, an important feature of Mormonism has been its belief in a literal Devil and in the ability of the Devil to possess human beings. Despite the pervasiveness of these beliefs and practices, Mormon possession and exorcism is a largely unstudied phenomenon. What follows is a careful study of four historical accounts of Mormon exorcism rituals dating from 1830,1839, 1888, and 1977, and their narrative presentations. This article traces the development of Mormon possession/exorcism beliefs and practices and situates them within their larger historical contexts. The article also describes the relationship between Mormon dispossession rituals and the dispossession rituals of Protestant and Catholic groups in American history and presents through a consideration of the impact of broader American cultural trends on the theory and practice of Mormon exorcism from 1830 to 1977.

He includes an exorcism in 1977 by M. Russell Ballard (then a Seventy), and he says (84):  "According to LDS doctrine, the authority to lay on hands for physical blessing and the power to command evil spirits in the name of God are conferred upon every person ordained to the Melchizedek priesthood, regardless of hierarchical position."

See also Eric D. Huntsman,  The Miracles of Jesus (Salt Lake City: Deseret Book, 2014), which includes information on exorcism.

• Like 3

Feeding her was a good thing.   I might have prayed with her or for her too:  her Heavenly Parents and her Savior know what it was and asking them to help her get over and beyond whatever was binding her is completely within their wheel house.   It doesn't take priesthood power to invoke the blessings of heaven, and if priesthood power is needed, They certainly can ensure that happens too.

• Like 4

Yes, there is mental illness, there are drugs like meth and PCP etc,. and then there are unclean spirits. I'm not going to second guess rodheadlee.

Recall the story when the apostles went to Jesus and said they could not cast out a particular spirit. Jesus suggests that fasting and prayer are needed. Apparently , some spirits are more tough than others. 

Edited by strappinglad
  • Like 2

Sorry 

25 minutes ago, Robert F. Smith said:

You may want to read Stephen Taysom, “’Satan Mourns Naked Upon the Earth’: Locating Mormon Possession and Exorcism Rituals in the American Religious Landscape, 1830-1977,” Religion and American Culture: a Journal of Interpretation, 27/1 (Winter 2017):57-94, online at https://www.academia.edu/31631773/_Satan_Mourns_Naked_Upon_the_Earth_Locating_Mormon_Possession_and_Exorcism_Rituals_in_the_American_Religious_Landscape_1830-1977_Religion_and_American_Culture_a_Journal_of_Interpretation_27_1_Winter_2017_?email_work_card=view-paper , and at DOI: https://doi.org/10.1525/rac.2017.27.1.57 .

Abstract
Since its inception in 1830, an important feature of Mormonism has been its belief in a literal Devil and in the ability of the Devil to possess human beings. Despite the pervasiveness of these beliefs and practices, Mormon possession and exorcism is a largely unstudied phenomenon. What follows is a careful study of four historical accounts of Mormon exorcism rituals dating from 1830,1839, 1888, and 1977, and their narrative presentations. This article traces the development of Mormon possession/exorcism beliefs and practices and situates them within their larger historical contexts. The article also describes the relationship between Mormon dispossession rituals and the dispossession rituals of Protestant and Catholic groups in American history and presents through a consideration of the impact of broader American cultural trends on the theory and practice of Mormon exorcism from 1830 to 1977.

He includes an exorcism in 1977 by M. Russell Ballard (then a Seventy), and he says (84):  "According to LDS doctrine, the authority to lay on hands for physical blessing and the power to command evil spirits in the name of God are conferred upon every person ordained to the Melchizedek priesthood, regardless of hierarchical position."

See also Eric D. Huntsman,  The Miracles of Jesus (Salt Lake City: Deseret Book, 2014), which includes information on exorcism.

Well, how come we don't hear current tales of exorcism in the church? I liken it to the Daybell's and zombies too much, I guess. And churches/scripture/people trying to control people and scare people into submission or obedience. No offense toward Rodheadlee, though. He's not doing that of course. I just think it's misdiagnosed or the person believes they are possessed. Or those around them because of past teachings.

9 minutes ago, Tacenda said:

Sorry 

Well, how come we don't hear current tales of exorcism in the church? I liken it to the Daybell's and zombies too much, I guess. And churches/scripture/people trying to control people and scare people into submission or obedience. No offense toward Rodheadlee, though. He's not doing that of course. I just think it's misdiagnosed or the person believes they are possessed. Or those around them because of past teachings.

Stephen Taysom's point is that exorcism is extremely rare in the LDS Church, even when you have LDS members like Chad Daybell running amuck.  The only exorcisms I know of personally were (1) a couple of Pentecostals attempting to cast a demon out of their pastor (which I witnessed), and (2) a rabbi who did an exorcism within the Jewish community in Kansas City.  I have never met anyone in the LDS community who has seen or experienced an exorcism.

• Like 1
Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Tacenda said:

IMNSHO, I don't believe it could be a demon. Maybe mental illness, sorry.

It's partially mental illness. I'm extremely familiar with mental illness. My sister has been diagnosed with manic depression and bipolar. I've been to Mental Hospitals in Orange County, Los Angeles County, Riverside County and San Bernardino County. I have taken my sister to each and every one of them. She has lived with me on and off for years.

I myself have been in a mental hospital, due to my intimate association with the drug culture. I fought a long hard battle against drug addiction. This was only won with the help of the Lord Jesus Christ. This was 45 years ago. What I witnessed in this poor girl last night had nothing to do with mental illness or drugs.

Right before I said grace, my father pointed out a picture of Jesus Christ and ask her if she knew that man and her answer was he knows me. Trust me she is inhabited by an unclean spirit. 

Edited by rodheadlee
  • Like 3
20 hours ago, Robert F. Smith said:

Stephen Taysom's point is that exorcism is extremely rare in the LDS Church, even when you have LDS members like Chad Daybell running amuck.  The only exorcisms I know of personally were (1) a couple of Pentecostals attempting to cast a demon out of their pastor (which I witnessed), and (2) a rabbi who did an exorcism within the Jewish community in Kansas City.  I have never met anyone in the LDS community who has seen or experienced an exorcism.

I have done one. I know of a few others. I was requested to perform one once by someone I was pretty sure was not actually possessed or "haunted".

• Like 1
2 hours ago, The Nehor said:

I have done one. I know of a few others. I was requested to perform one once by someone I was pretty sure was not actually possessed or "haunted".

My grandfather did a 3-year mission in Hawai'i [Mau'i and the Big Island] right after he mustered out at the end of WWI.  They had one of the missionaries possessed.  Unambiguously.  Along with all the horrors that that entails.  I won't share details, though his mission journal has been acquired by the Church from one of my father's sisters [and can be reviewed], except for this:

The raw lustfulness of the possessed Elder, in expression and in attempted deeds, was disturbing and nightmare inducing to all who were affected by it and was a matter of serious concern for the local and general Church.  Everybody in Cache Valley knew about it, apparently, including knowing all of the actors [this from my deceased father, who knew them].  The menehunes were no laughing matter.

The conclusion reached appears to have been:  these are people worse than anyone you can imagine knowing here.  They have nothing to offer.  They only desire to dominate and spoil and ruin.  Makes one wonder at the politeness with which the War in Heaven is described and the extent of the monstrous desire to dominate and spoil and ruin.

Edited by USU78
  • Like 2

I will admit that I don’t believe in posession, And I also admit I’m aware of how little I actually know about anything. 
It’s nice that you care. 

Edited by MustardSeed
  • Like 1
On 6/23/2020 at 11:45 AM, USU78 said:

My grandfather did a 3-year mission in Hawai'i [Mau'i and the Big Island] right after he mustered out at the end of WWI.  They had one of the missionaries possessed.  Unambiguously.  Along with all the horrors that that entails.  I won't share details, though his mission journal has been acquired by the Church from one of my father's sisters [and can be reviewed], except for this:

The raw lustfulness of the possessed Elder, in expression and in attempted deeds, was disturbing and nightmare inducing to all who were affected by it and was a matter of serious concern for the local and general Church.  Everybody in Cache Valley knew about it, apparently, including knowing all of the actors [this from my deceased father, who knew them].  The menehunes were no laughing matter.

The conclusion reached appears to have been:  these are people worse than anyone you can imagine knowing here.  They have nothing to offer.  They only desire to dominate and spoil and ruin.  Makes one wonder at the politeness with which the War in Heaven is described and the extent of the monstrous desire to dominate and spoil and ruin.

I feel for this missionary, truly do, because I don't believe it was demonic. I think it was probably small and built up. Just like the kids that harm others, they don't feel loved and they feel isolated/lonely and then they do explode. People cause people to behave badly or people withholding understanding and love. Not knowing this person's past and the full story, I probably have no business saying what I am. I just think that the reason people behave badly is something that can happen externally. 

1 hour ago, Tacenda said:

I feel for this missionary, truly do, because I don't believe it was demonic. I think it was probably small and built up. Just like the kids that harm others, they don't feel loved and they feel isolated/lonely and then they do explode. People cause people to behave badly or people withholding understanding and love. Not knowing this person's past and the full story, I probably have no business saying what I am. I just think that the reason people behave badly is something that can happen externally. 

Go look it up.  I'm not going to put the details up on this board myself.  Do your own research, please, before forming opinions about people you don't know and I do.  I probably shouldn't have mentioned it at all, given the frightful need in too many hereabouts to sneer and excuse and find every other explanation for an observed phenomenon than the most obvious one.

• Like 1