Seriously No Politics ×

Byu Committee on Race and Inequality

2 hours ago, Calm said:

We need more from people in our own community that we related to already on many levels to learn how to relate to on other levels we have little personal experiences with. I know some POC don’t like to talk about experiences with racism because so often it gets dismissed or downplayed or someone accuses them of wanting to be a victim. When it turns out almost everyone in your community has a similar story even if they have dealt with it differently though, it is much harder to ignore or label unimportant. And it can change hearts and help us make steps towards a Zion community.

In my experience, having a candid, respectful discussion can go a long way to improving things on both sides. Hopefully this new committee will help foster that kind of dialogue where it is needed.

40 minutes ago, Duncan said:

Sometimes you don't realize what you're saying or doing negatively impacts someone else and it's good they can say something and you can learn from it and not do it anymore

Yes! As human beings we can communicate and adapt! Might as well use those faculties to improve life for everyone as much as we can :)

This sounds like a good step for BYU. As I think you know, I reposted a public FB post, by Charlotte Lartey, on another thread which was a Black woman's experiences with racism growing up in Provo. It was extremely painful account, and served to illustrate how seemingly small isolated incidents can add up to profoundly impacting our experiences. My husband and I discussed it, and noticed that her timeline coincided with the years we lived in Provo. It was devastating to think that those less obvious types of attitudes and behaviors were still impacting Black people around us then, as of course this woman is not the lone Black person who has this type of timeline. I'm glad for the amplification of Black voices at BYU, it is especially needed. White supremacy is part of LDS history and culture and we will have to work to decouple them and be better.

Edited by Meadowchik