Seriously No Politics ×

Elder Holland Admitted to Hospital

This just came across my news feed. He does not have COVID. 

Elder Jeffrey R. Holland was admitted to the hospital last week, according to a statement from The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

“Elder Jeffrey R. Holland of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles was admitted to the hospital last week following several days of illness,” church spokesman Eric Hawkins said. “He has been tested and does not have COVID-19. Other diagnostic studies are being done.”

No other information was available. 

Edited by Scott Lloyd

I hope he recovers soon.

Like many his talks are the highlight of Conference for me. 

I was at BYU when Elder Holland was the president. He loved to walk around the campus and greet students. He said hello to me several times while I was there - sometimes shaking my hand - even though he had no idea who I was. Buena gente.

I really appreciated what Elder Holland spoke about in the youtube I shared on this thread. Hope people saw it. It was nice to see him so humble and admitting he's got a new perspective and hopes that it will change the way church does thing in the future, as far as doing even more. 

I already posted this quote on another thread the other day, but I feel it would be appropriate to repeat it here on this thread. I received it in an email last Monday from my temple presidency. It’s from a Facebook post by Elder Holland in May 2015. I’m copying and pasting it as I received it, so the text emphasis is by the temple presidency. 

“What a terrific time to be alive!  The gospel of Jesus Christ is the most certain, the most secure, the most reliable, and the most rewarding truth on earth and in heaven, in time and in eternity. Nothing—not anything, not anyone, not any influence—will keep this Church from fulfilling its mission and realizing its destiny declared from before the foundation of the world. Ours is that fail-safe, inexorable, indestructible dispensation of the fulness of the gospel. There is no need to be afraid or tentative about the future…. If there are some bumps along the way while waiting to see every promise kept and every prophecy fulfilled, so be it. If you haven’t noticed, I am bullish about the latter days. In nothing could I have more faith than I have in God the Eternal Father, in Jesus Christ His Son, in Their redeeming gospel, and in their divinely-guided Church. Believe. Rise up. Be faithful. And make the most of the remarkable day in which we live!”

Edited by Scott Lloyd

Here's the Deseret News story regarding Elder Holland's illness:

https://www.deseret.com/faith/2020/6/17/21294661/elder-jeffrey-r-holland-hospital-church-statement-mormon-lds

For what it's worth, here's my comment, which was written in response to someone who said he'd attended Dixie College with Elder Holland, on the Deseret News story regarding his illness:

My mother happened to be enrolled at Dixie College at the same time he was (indeed, apparently, when you both were, JSB), a fact I discovered purely by chance when I was rummaging through my parents' downstairs library happened to find one of my mom's old yearbooks.  Being the Big Man on Campus that he was, I said to myself, "Hmm, that's interesting," and filed the fact away for possible future reference.

As it turned out, a couple of weeks later, he was called from the Seventy into the Quorum of the Twelve, and I told my mom, "You know, Mom, you went to school with him," simply meaning, of course, that they were enrolled at the same time: I'm sure they moved in vastly different circles!  She was skeptical, and scoffed, "Oh, I did not!"  I said, "You did so, and I can prove it!"  And I went downstairs, retrieved the yearbook, turned to one of the three or four places where his picture is found, and, showing it to my Mom, said, "He hasn't changed much appearance-wise in the last 30 years, has he?!"

Now, whenever he speaks in Conference, she says, "Boy, my schoolmate Jeffrey did a good job, didn't he?"  And I always retort, "But, Mom, his close friends call him 'Jeff'!" ;-D

God bless you, Elder Holland, and get well soon!  We love you!

Been released 

https://www.deseret.com/faith/2020/6/19/21297047/elder-jeffrey-r-holland-hospital-release-mormon-lds-church-apostle

Elder Jeffrey R. Holland is back home after spending about a week in the hospital, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints announced on Friday. 

“Elder Jeffrey R. Holland, who was hospitalized for brief observation, has been released from the hospital,” church spokesman Eric Hawkins said. “He is returning to normal activities. He and his family appreciate the prayers and concern on his behalf.”

Elder Holland, 79, a member of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles, was admitted to the hospital last week after several days of illness, Hawkins had said on Wednesday. He tested negative for COVID-19, and doctors were continuing diagnostic tests.

Edited by Calm
29 minutes ago, Scott Lloyd said:

Doesn’t say he has recovered (or is recovering) from whatever it was. I’m still a bit worried. 

I guess it depends on what this means:

He is returning to normal activities.