Seriously No Politics ×

Third Temple in Jerusalem

Hi all.

My wife and I have been reading in Ezekiel and have come to the part about the temple that is to be build in Jerusalem at the second coming.  Ezekiel gives great detail about the dimensions and layout of the temple, which is very unlike what current temples are, and much like the temples of old.  He also describes what will be done in tis temple - and much of it is animal sacrifice and offerings etc.

My question is - how does this square with the idea that the temple is to be built by Jews who have accepted Jesus (and presumably joined the church) at his second coming?  Why would animal sacrifice be practiced there at all?  I have looked a bit online, and can't seem to find anything talking about this. 

Thanks!

MP

2 hours ago, Maestrophil said:

Hi all.

My wife and I have been reading in Ezekiel and have come to the part about the temple that is to be build in Jerusalem at the second coming.  Ezekiel gives great detail about the dimensions and layout of the temple, which is very unlike what current temples are, and much like the temples of old.  He also describes what will be done in tis temple - and much of it is animal sacrifice and offerings etc.

My question is - how does this square with the idea that the temple is to be built by Jews who have accepted Jesus (and presumably joined the church) at his second coming?  Why would animal sacrifice be practiced there at all?  I have looked a bit online, and can't seem to find anything talking about this. 

Thanks!

MP

Are not we Latter-Day Saints instructed, in no uncertain terms, both in the scriptures and in sacred places, that the sacrifice of Jesus Christ ended sacrifice by the shedding of blood? But most interestingly, the apostle Peter informs us that even after the atoning sacrifice of Christ had been consummated, the Lord still expects the priesthood of the his Church to perform “spiritual” sacrificial rites, as opposed to sacrifices that require the shedding of actual blood.

2 As newborn babes, desire the sincere milk of the word, that ye may grow thereby:
3 If so be ye have tasted that the Lord is gracious.
4 To whom coming, as unto a living stone, disallowed indeed of men, but chosen of God, and precious,
5 Ye also, as lively stones, are built up a spiritual house, an holy priesthood, to offer up spiritual sacrifices, acceptable to God by Jesus Christ. (1 Peter 2)

Among these spiritual sacrifices that allude to the shedding blood, without any actual blood being spilt are:

1) Baptism by water, the water representing the sacred blood of Christ by which our sins are washed away and our garments made white.        

2) The sacrament of the Lords Supper, in which the sanctified torn bread and water represent the bruised, broken and torn flesh of Christ and the holy blood that flowed from those wounds.        

3) Other sacred rites that allude directly to the precious blood that flowed from the wounds of Christ when he was crucified.

Edited by teddyaware

Now in the nature of things, the law of sacrifice will have to be restored, or all things which were decreed by the Lord would not be restored. It will be necessary, therefore, for the sons of Levi, who offered the blood sacrifices anciently in Israel, to offer such a sacrifice again to round out and complete this ordinance in this dispensation. Sacrifice by the shedding of blood was instituted in the days of Adam and of necessity will have to be restored.
The sacrifice of animals will be done to complete the restoration when the temple spoken of is built; at the beginning of the millennium, or in the restoration, blood sacrifices will be performed long enough to complete the fulness of the restoration in this dispensation. Afterwards sacrifice will be of some other character.
Joseph Fielding Smith - Doctrines of Salvation 3:94

[Jehovah] continued to [Noah] the keys, the covenants, the power and the glory, with which he blessed Adam at the beginning; and the offering of sacrifice, which also shall be continued at the last time; for all the ordinances and duties that ever have been required by [p.211] the Priesthood, under the directions and commandments of the Almighty in any of the dispensations, shall all be had in the last dispensation, therefore all things had under the authority of the Priesthood at any former period, shall be had again, bringing to pass the restoration spoken of by the mouth of all the Holy Prophets; then shall the sons of Levi offer an acceptable offering to the Lord. 'And he shall sit as a refiner and purifier of silver: and he shall purify the sons of Levi, and purge them as gold and silver, that they may offer unto the Lord.' (See Malachi 3:3).
It will be necessary here to make a few observations on the doctrine set forth in the above quotation, and it is generally supposed that sacrifice was entirely done away when the Great Sacrifice [i.e., the sacrifice of the Lord Jesus] was offered up, and that there will be no necessity for the ordinance of sacrifice in future: but those who assert this are certainly not acquainted with the duties, privileges and authority of the priesthood, or with the Prophets . . . .
These sacrifices, as well as every ordinance belonging to the Priesthood, will, when the Temple of the Lord shall be built, and the sons of Levi be purified, be fully restored and attended to in all their powers, ramifications, and blessings. This ever did and ever will exist when the [p.212] powers of the Melchisedic Priesthood are sufficiently manifest; else how can the restitution of all things spoken of by the holy Prophets be brought to pass? It is not to be understood that the law of Moses will be established again with all its rites and variety of ceremonies; this has never been spoken of by the Prophets; but those things which existed prior to Moses' day, namely, sacrifice, will be continued.
Joseph Smith - History of the Church 4:211

So right now we are to make spiritual sacrifices and apparently when the New Temple is built animal sacrifices will also be reinstated as part of everything being restored.

It will be interesting to see how the temple will be built to accommodate the animal sacrifices, the ordinance performed to do it, and which animals be use and how the sacrifice will be performed.

4 hours ago, Maestrophil said:

Hi all.

Thanks!

MP

1. Jews build a temple in Jerusalem like they did in the old days and then offer animal sacrifices in it as they once did, too.

2. Jesus then comes back to Jerusalem, the Jews there see the imprints from the nails in his hands and wrists, and realize he was their Messiah who their ancestors rejected when he came for his mortal ministry.

3. Jews feel sad and remorseful for a moment but then they feel joy as they accept him and the ordinances of the gospel, then they remodel their temple in Jerusalem to make any necessary improvements.

More details to follow, later.

Not quite sure, but there is this:

Doctrine & Covenants 13

Upon you my fellow servants, in the name of Messiah I confer the Priesthood of Aaron, which holds the keys of the ministering of angels, and of the gospel of repentance, and of baptism by immersion for the remission of sins; and this shall never be taken again from the earth, until the sons of Levi do offer again an offering unto the Lord in righteousness. [Emphasis added by Kenngo1969]

2 hours ago, JLHPROF said:

Now in the nature of things, the law of sacrifice will have to be restored, or all things which were decreed by the Lord would not be restored. It will be necessary, therefore, for the sons of Levi, who offered the blood sacrifices anciently in Israel, to offer such a sacrifice again to round out and complete this ordinance in this dispensation. Sacrifice by the shedding of blood was instituted in the days of Adam and of necessity will have to be restored.
The sacrifice of animals will be done to complete the restoration when the temple spoken of is built; at the beginning of the millennium, or in the restoration, blood sacrifices will be performed long enough to complete the fulness of the restoration in this dispensation. Afterwards sacrifice will be of some other character.
Joseph Fielding Smith - Doctrines of Salvation 3:94

[Jehovah] continued to [Noah] the keys, the covenants, the power and the glory, with which he blessed Adam at the beginning; and the offering of sacrifice, which also shall be continued at the last time; for all the ordinances and duties that ever have been required by [p.211] the Priesthood, under the directions and commandments of the Almighty in any of the dispensations, shall all be had in the last dispensation, therefore all things had under the authority of the Priesthood at any former period, shall be had again, bringing to pass the restoration spoken of by the mouth of all the Holy Prophets; then shall the sons of Levi offer an acceptable offering to the Lord. 'And he shall sit as a refiner and purifier of silver: and he shall purify the sons of Levi, and purge them as gold and silver, that they may offer unto the Lord.' (See Malachi 3:3).
It will be necessary here to make a few observations on the doctrine set forth in the above quotation, and it is generally supposed that sacrifice was entirely done away when the Great Sacrifice [i.e., the sacrifice of the Lord Jesus] was offered up, and that there will be no necessity for the ordinance of sacrifice in future: but those who assert this are certainly not acquainted with the duties, privileges and authority of the priesthood, or with the Prophets . . . .
These sacrifices, as well as every ordinance belonging to the Priesthood, will, when the Temple of the Lord shall be built, and the sons of Levi be purified, be fully restored and attended to in all their powers, ramifications, and blessings. This ever did and ever will exist when the [p.212] powers of the Melchisedic Priesthood are sufficiently manifest; else how can the restitution of all things spoken of by the holy Prophets be brought to pass? It is not to be understood that the law of Moses will be established again with all its rites and variety of ceremonies; this has never been spoken of by the Prophets; but those things which existed prior to Moses' day, namely, sacrifice, will be continued.
Joseph Smith - History of the Church 4:211

I honestly believe Joseph Fielding Smith, as eminent and prominent as he might be, got this wrong. I think his mistake was made in the presumption that the sacrifices the sons of Levi will make are going to be blood animal sacrifices, rather than the symbolic spiritual sacrifices of which Peter spoke.  I believe all the verse in question is saying is that the sons of Levi will one day be endowed in the temple. The following words of the Savior clearly testify that sacrifice by the shedding of the blood of animals came to a full end with his atoning sacrifice, and that animal sacrifices would no longer be accepted by him.

19 And ye shall offer up unto me no more the shedding of blood; yea, your sacrifices and your burnt offerings shall be done away, for I will accept none of your sacrifices and your burnt offerings.

20 And ye shall offer for a sacrifice unto me a broken heart and a contrite spirit. And whoso cometh unto me with a broken heart and a contrite spirit, him will I baptize with fire and with the Holy Ghost, even as the Lamanites, because of their faith in me at the time of their conversion, were baptized with fire and with the Holy Ghost, and they knew it not. (3 Nephi 9)

9 minutes ago, teddyaware said:

I honestly believe Joseph Fielding Smith, as eminent and prominent as he might be, got this wrong.

The second quote was from Joseph Smith (second witness). Kenggo also points to D&C 13 for a third witness. The Ezekiel passage makes 4 witnesses.  Pretty convincing.

14 minutes ago, teddyaware said:

I honestly believe Joseph Fielding Smith, as eminent and prominent as he might be, got this wrong. I think his mistake was made in the presumption that the sacrifices the sons of Levi will make are going to be blood animal sacrifices, rather than the symbolic spiritual sacrifices of which Peter spoke.  I believe all the verse in question is saying is that the sons of Levi will one day be endowed in the temple. The following words of the Savior clearly testify that sacrifice by the shedding of the blood of animals came to a full end with his atoning sacrifice, and that animal sacrifices would no longer be accepted by him.

19 And ye shall offer up unto me no more the shedding of blood; yea, your sacrifices and your burnt offerings shall be done away, for I will accept none of your sacrifices and your burnt offerings.

20 And ye shall offer for a sacrifice unto me a broken heart and a contrite spirit. And whoso cometh unto me with a broken heart and a contrite spirit, him will I baptize with fire and with the Holy Ghost, even as the Lamanites, because of their faith in me at the time of their conversion, were baptized with fire and with the Holy Ghost, and they knew it not. (3 Nephi 9)

Animal sacrifice served more purposes than as atonement for sin.  Just because blood sacrifice for sin and offering ended doesn't preclude it being required by the Lord for another purpose.

D&C 13:1. What Is Meant by the Sons of Levi Offering an Offering of Righteousness unto the Lord?

The Prophet Joseph Smith commented as follows on this scripture:

“It is generally supposed that sacrifice was entirely done away when the Great Sacrifice [i.e.,] the sacrifice of the Lord Jesus was offered up, and that there will be no necessity for the ordinance of sacrifice in the future; but those who assert this are certainly not acquainted with the duties, privileges and authority of the Priesthood, or with the Prophets.

“The offering of sacrifice has ever been connected and forms a part of the duties of the Priesthood. It began with the Priesthood, and will be continued until after the coming of Christ, from generation to generation. …

“These sacrifices, as well as every ordinance belonging to the Priesthood, will, when the Temple of the Lord shall be built, and the sons of Levi be purified, be fully restored and attended to in all their powers, ramifications, and blessings. This ever did and ever will exist when the powers of the Melchizedek Priesthood are sufficiently manifest; else how can the restitution of all things spoken of by the Holy Prophets be brought to pass. It is not to be understood that the law of Moses will be established again with all its rites and variety of ceremonies; this has never been spoken of by the prophets; but those things which existed prior to Moses’ day, namely, sacrifice, will be continued.” (Teachings, pp. 172–73.)

President Joseph Fielding Smith further explained that “we are living in the dispensation of the fulness of times into which all things are to be gathered, and all things are to be restored since the beginning. Even this earth is to be restored to the condition which prevailed before Adam’s transgression. Now in the nature of things, the law of sacrifice will have to be restored, or all things which were decreed by the Lord would not be restored. It will be necessary, therefore, for the sons of Levi, who offered the blood sacrifices anciently in Israel, to offer such a sacrifice again to round out and complete this ordinance in this dispensation. Sacrifice by the shedding of blood was instituted in the days of Adam and of necessity will have to be restored.

“The sacrifice of animals will be done to complete the restoration when the temple spoken of is built; at the beginning of the millennium, or in the restoration, blood sacrifices will be performed long enough to complete the fulness of the restoration in this dispensation. Afterwards sacrifice will be of some other character.” (Doctrines of Salvation, 3:94.)

Notes and Commentary for Doctrine and Covenants 128:24 contains additional insights into what else might be included in the offering of the sons of Levi.

https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/manual/doctrine-and-covenants-student-manual/section-13-the-restoration-of-the-aaronic-priesthood?lang=eng

It seems that the church backs this interpretation too.

2 minutes ago, pogi said:

The second quote was from Joseph Smith (second witness). Kenggo also points to D&C 13 for a third witness. The Ezekiel passage makes 4 witnesses.  Pretty convincing.

Spiritual sacrifices that symbolically portray the shedding of blood by Jesus Christ are repeatedly performed every working day in our temples.

Read the Joseph Smith quote closely and you’ll see he is not referring, in particular, to blood animal sacrifices. In fact, you will not see the words blood nor animal mentioned even once,. Why should I not believe that to think otherwise makes the Lord a liar, for he is the one who said he would no longer accept blood animal sacrifices and burn’t offerings. Does the Lord speak out of both sides of his mouth? 

Sacrificial rituals do indeed continue in our temples, but not literal blood animal sacrifices. Sacrificial ordinances are, and always will be, an essential element of priesthood service, but we are clearly taught In sacred places that although animal sacrifices continued from Adam to Moses, and then from Moses to Christ, the atoning sacrifice of Christ ended sacrifice by the shedding of blood.

But I will say this, if blood animal sacrifices do somehow continue, in spite of the fact that the Lord plainly testified he would no longer accept them, then he’s going to have some real explaining to do. 

58 minutes ago, JLHPROF said:

Animal sacrifice served more purposes than as atonement for sin.  Just because blood sacrifice for sin and offering ended doesn't preclude it being required by the Lord for another purpose.

What other purposes? I’m keeping an open mind...

20 hours ago, Maestrophil said:

My question is - how does this square with the idea that the temple is to be built by Jews who have accepted Jesus (and presumably joined the church) at his second coming?  Why would animal sacrifice be practiced there at all?  I have looked a bit online, and can't seem to find anything talking about this............................

This subject comes up on this board from time to time, but views seem quite varied on just what the facts are and on what we may expect in the future.  A couple of items to keep in mind:  Apostle Orson Hyde dedicated the Holy Land in a formal prayer of dedication on the Mt of Olives in 1841.  The dedication, made on instructions from Joseph Smith, was for the final gathering of the Jews and the rebuilding of their temple.  The full text of his dedicatory prayer is available in Hebrew and English on the Mt of Olives, in the Orson Hyde Garden.  It can also be read online at http://www.vibrationdata.com/Orson_Hyde.htm

Both the D&C and Zechariah make it clear that the Jews will only accept Jesus when he comes to them at the Mt of Olives at the end of days, not before.  Meantime, the priesthood among the Jews has been preparing for several years to function in the temple to be built on the Temple Mount in Jerusalem.  The Jewish Talmud contains all the information necessary to reinstitute the ancient daily sacrifices, as well as the festival sacrifices -- such as the Passover.  No one knows when that temple will be built.

16 hours ago, JAHS said:

So right now we are to make spiritual sacrifices and apparently when the New Temple is built animal sacrifices will also be reinstated as part of everything being restored.

It will be interesting to see how the temple will be built to accommodate the animal sacrifices, the ordinance performed to do it, and which animals be use and how the sacrifice will be performed.

It is all laid out in detail in the Jewish Talmud.

16 hours ago, Ahab said:

1. Jews build a temple in Jerusalem like they did in the old days and then offer animal sacrifices in it as they once did, too.

2. Jesus then comes back to Jerusalem, the Jews there see the imprints from the nails in his hands and wrists, and realize he was their Messiah who their ancestors rejected when he came for his mortal ministry.

3. Jews feel sad and remorseful for a moment but then they feel joy as they accept him and the ordinances of the gospel, then they remodel their temple in Jerusalem to make any necessary improvements.

More details to follow, later.

Correct.

14 hours ago, teddyaware said:

Spiritual sacrifices that symbolically portray the shedding of blood by Jesus Christ are repeatedly performed every working day in our temples.

Joseph said these sacrifices will after "the Temple of the Lord shall be built, and the sons of Levi be purified, be fully restored".  Keep in mind, this was said in Oct 1840 when the Kirtland temple had already been completed for 4 years and the spiritual ordinances you speak of were already being performed.  So, he couldn't have been speaking of ordinances "repeatedly performed every working day in our temples", as you suggest.  He is talking about a "restoration' that had not yet taken place. 

14 hours ago, teddyaware said:

Read the Joseph Smith quote closely and you’ll see he is not referring, in particular, to blood animal sacrifices. In fact, you will not see the words blood nor animal mentioned even once,. Why should I not believe that to think otherwise makes the Lord a liar, for he is the one who said he would no longer accept blood animal sacrifices and burn’t offerings. Does the Lord speak out of both sides of his mouth? 

No need to be so dramatic in concluding that the Lord is a liar if Joseph is correct.  Other interpretations are possible.  Here let me provide the full text and context of Joseph to help clear things up.  This was from a conference talk on Oct 5, 1840.  You can read the entire talk at the link below:

It will be necessary here to make a few observations on the doctrine set forth in the above quotation, and it is generally supposed that sacrifice was entirely done away when the Great Sacrifice [i.e., the sacrifice of the Lord Jesus] was offered up, and that there will be no necessity for the ordinance of sacrifice in future [Keep in mind that temple ordinances were already being performed at this time] ; but those who assert this are certainly not acquainted with the duties, privileges and authority of the priesthood, or with the Prophets.
The offering of sacrifice has ever been connected and forms a part of the duties of the Priesthood. It began with the Priesthood, and will be continued until after the coming of Christ, from generation to generation. We frequently have mention made of the offering of sacrifice by the servants of the Most High in ancient days, prior to the law of Moses [very important context]; which ordinances will be continued [more important context] when the Priesthood is restored with all its authority, power and blessings.
Elijah was the last Prophet that held the keys of the Priesthood, and who will, before the last dispensation, restore the authority and deliver the keys of the Priesthood, in order that all the ordinances may be attended to in righteousness [keep in mind that the Aaronic and melchizedek priesthood had already been restored, and Elijah had already appeared to Joseph, so he is talking about some other keys and ordinances that need to be restored here]. It is true that the Savior had authority and power to bestow this blessing; but the sons of Levi were too prejudiced."And I will send Elijah the Prophet before the great and terrible day of the Lord," etc., etc. Why send Elijah? Because he holds the keys of the authority to administer in all the ordinances of the Priesthood; and without the authority is given, the ordinances could not be administered in righteousness.
It is a very prevalent opinion that the sacrifices which were offered were entirely consumed [here is your reference to animal sacrifice]. This was not the case; if you read Leviticus, second chap., second and third verses, you will observe that the priests took a part as a memorial and offered it up before the Lord, while the remainder was kept for the maintenance of the priests; so that the offerings and sacrifices are not all consumed upon the altar—but the blood is sprinkled, and the fat and certain other portions are consumed.
These sacrifices [clearly referencing animal sacrifices he just spoke of], as well as every ordinance belonging to the Priesthood, will, when the Temple of the Lord shall be built, and the sons of Levi be purified, be fully restored and attended to in all their powers, ramifications, and blessings. This ever did and ever will exist when the powers of the Melchisedek Priesthood are sufficiently manifest; else how can the restitution of all things spoken of by the holy Prophets be brought to pass? It is not to be understood that the law of Moses will be established again with all its rites and variety of ceremonies; this has never been spoken of by the Prophets; but those things which existed prior to Moses' day, namely, sacrifice, will be continued.
It may be asked by some, what necessity for sacrifice, since the Great Sacrifice was offered? In answer to which, if repentance, baptism, and faith existed prior to the days of Christ, what necessity for them since that time? The Priesthood has descended in a regular line from father to son, through their succeeding generations. (See Book of Doctrine and Covenants.)

https://byustudies.byu.edu/content/volume-4-chapter-11

Edited by pogi