New Dress Guidelines for Missionaries

2 hours ago, amo said:

“…cultural sensitivities of the places where they serve”, and / or, in other words, more “down to earth”...

I’ll never forget the scene of hundreds of people trying to help in the aftermath of one of those huge earth quakes in Chile, their clothes soiled by the rubble, and in the middle of that chaos, bingo, missionaries and one area ‘70, all very formally dressed in their suits, white shirt and tie… “Are you here to help or to watch us help…?” shouted one of the helpers.

It made me wonder, and I felt bad for the missionaries but not for the’ 70...

Why not the 70? Were they just watching or were they helping?

I thought part of the thinking traditionally was that missionaries, as full time representatives of the Church, were to convey the same image in their dress and grooming as the leaders of the Church. Will the General Authorities and general officers (Relief Society, Primary, Sunday School, Young Women and Young Men) now become more casual in appearance?

51 minutes ago, Scott Lloyd said:

I thought part of the thinking traditionally was that missionaries, as full time representatives of the Church, were to convey the same image in their dress and grooming as the leaders of the Church. Will the General Authorities and general officers (Relief Society, Primary, Sunday School, Young Women and Young Men) now become more casual in appearance?

You would first need to establish that your assumption was correct. Do you have any references for that ever being given as the reason in any published statements by the Church?

• Like 1
58 minutes ago, cinepro said:

You would first need to establish that your assumption was correct. Do you have any references for that ever being given as the reason in any published statements by the Church?

No explicit references at the ready. Just a pervasive and ambient understanding from having been reared in the Church and having served a mission myself. I’m just stating my understanding, not necessarily trying to prove anything. Must every conversation here be a debate? 

What do you think has been the reason for the missionary standards of appearance up to now?

Edited by Scott Lloyd

Easily identifiable on the street. Sets a more formal, respectful tone for spiritual conversations with others. Encourages individuals of a sometimes reckless or thoughtless age to be in self control, more disciplined, more respectful of others.  Encourages others to be more respectful of missionaries. 

As an ambassador of the Lord you are to wear professional, conservative clothing that is consistent with your sacred calling and that will clearly identify you as a missionary for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.” - Dress and Grooming Guidelines for Missionaries

https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/callings/missionary/dress-grooming?lang=eng&_r=1

Edited by Calm
  • Like 2
9 hours ago, Calm said:

Easily identifiable on the street. Set a more formal, respectful tone for spiritual conversations with others. Encouraged individuals of a sometimes reckless or thoughtless age to be in self control, more disciplined, more respectful of others.  Encouraged others to be more respectful of missionaries. 

I would agree with all of these. And by the way, some or all of them could apply as well to General Authorities/general officers as to full time missionaries; hence the directive that the clothing is to be “consistent with your sacred calling” as “an ambassador of the Lord”. 

So with “ambassador of the Lord” being the common denominator, it is a reasonable conclusion that the Church leaders would have wanted the missionaries to maintain essentially the same dress standards as the Church leaders themselves. 

And notwithstanding Cinepro’s apparent misunderstanding of my comment, I didn’t give my suggestion as THE reason. That’s why I used the phrase “part of.”

Edited by Scott Lloyd

When I served my mission in the Pacific Isles (83-85). Our Mission President said we Elders did not have to wear our suit coats or ties because it was too hot. We did not wear our suit coats until we flew home. However, almost all of the Elders chose to wear their ties to distinguish ourselves from the Jehovah Witnesses.

Funny thing, when we flew home our pants being subjected to daily wear and sunlight did not quite match the suit coats.

• Like 4
18 hours ago, Scott Lloyd said:

No explicit references at the ready. Just a pervasive and ambient understanding from having been reared in the Church and having served a mission myself. I’m just stating my understanding, not necessarily trying to prove anything. Must every conversation here be a debate? 

What do you think has been the reason for the missionary standards of appearance up to now?

It's something I've never heard, and it always seemed pretty obvious to me that the rules might be different for missionaries and GA's, so your question seemed extremely odd. I mean, when was the last time you even saw a GA in public wearing a short-sleeved shirt with a tie?

• Like 1
On 6/13/2020 at 12:46 PM, Bernard Gui said:

Why not the 70? Were they just watching or were they helping?

They were there to "coordinate and help".

Why didn't I feel bad about 70? Because he had the authority to change the dress code of both him and the missionaries but he didn't, deciding to keep the business look totally out of place...

48 minutes ago, cinepro said:

It's something I've never heard, and it always seemed pretty obvious to me that the rules might be different for missionaries and GA's, so your question seemed extremely odd. I mean, when was the last time you even saw a GA in public wearing a short-sleeved shirt with a tie?

I seem to recall a photo or two of one so dressed on visit to an extremely warm and humid clime. 

35 minutes ago, amo said:

They were there to "coordinate and help".

Why didn't I feel bad about 70? Because he had the authority to change the dress code of both him and the missionaries but he didn't, deciding to keep the business look totally out of place...

If they were helping and coordinating, who cares what they were wearing.

9 minutes ago, Bernard Gui said:

If they were helping and coordinating, who cares what they were wearing.

I never said  "they were helping and coordinating"...

People in that region didn't / don't like having to do hard, tough work with their hands, the way it's done in situations like that one, while being watched over and told what to do, by businesslike men all dressed in a white shirt, tie and suit

On 6/12/2020 at 8:19 PM, CA Steve said:

Says the king of distasteful jokes.

I am more obnoxious than distasteful. As king I hereby decree that this is so.

On 6/13/2020 at 11:06 AM, longview said:

Yes, it is important that the "narrative" be maintained in the proper context.  

More or less important than Steve’s obvious bait “joke”?

1 hour ago, amo said:

I never said  "they were helping and coordinating"...

People in that region didn't / don't like having to do hard, tough work with their hands, the way it's done in situations like that one, while being watched over and told what to do, by businesslike men all dressed in a white shirt, tie and suit

You didn’t say

They were there to "coordinate and help".

?

Are you saying the 70 didn’t help out or get his hands dirty? He just stood around coordinating in his suit?

So if he had dressed in old bibs while telling people what to do, then it would have been ok? How old was he? Did he have any health conditions that might have affected his participation? 

On 6/12/2020 at 1:13 PM, CA Steve said:

I am totally against this. How we look is important! We need to be instantly recognizable, in fact I think that in addition to requiring white shirts for all missionaries we should also require black ties. In fact I am so concerned about this I will be out in front of the MTC this evening with my protest sign: 

#blacktiesmater

Who is with me?

hehehehe....you had me going for a minute there. That was good.

Although we served in a very hot and constantly humid location and our mission president said we did not have to wear our ties or suit coats (we chose to wear the ties). Whenever he and his wife, his counselors, or General Authorities visited they always wore the tie and suit coats no matter the weather or the humidity.

Edited to add; correction the Mission Presidents wife did not wear a tie or suit coat :)

Edited by Anijen
On 6/12/2020 at 12:27 PM, InCognitus said:

Honestly, when I saw this thread headline, I expected to see something like this:

Hazmat.jpg.72a1fe3d40bac6b9e81120452ac0bc0e.jpg 

I thought I was going to see something like this:

Black Slinky One Sleeve Midi Dress