Seriously No Politics ×

Delete If You Must

Assuming you mean the March, sounds like he is attempting to follow his father's example in a small way.  Understandable since he admires his dad:

In reality, Romney’s path to yesterday’s Black Lives Matter protest began half a century earlier with his father—a man whose legacy has long shaped, and sometimes haunted, his son.

George Romney was the Republican governor of Michigan during the 1967 Detroit riots, which left 43 people dead and 2,000 buildings destroyed. In the aftermath of the violence, he addressed his constituents in a statewide broadcast.

“Some already are saying the answer is brute force such as would be used on mad dogs,” the governor said. “Others are questioning present social and economic programs because they claim Negroes don’t appreciate what has already been done … As citizens of Michigan, as Americans, we must unhesitatingly reject all these divisive courses.”

As the journalist Nikole Hannah-Jones has detailed, George went on to enact a fair-housing law in his state, and called for an end to discriminatory zoning practices. When white voters sent him angry letters, he would write back, “Force alone will not eliminate riots. We must eliminate the problems from which they stem.”

The elder Romney was well known for such acts of defiance. Whether he was denouncing Barry Goldwater at the Republican National Convention or crusading against segregationist policies from inside the Nixon administration, he prided himself on putting principle over party—especially when it came to civil rights.

For Mitt, these heroic stories are never far away. He invokes them frequently in speeches and interviews—including several of my own conversations with him—and he seems to measure his own success by that of his father. In the 2014 Netflix documentary Mitt, Romney rhapsodizes to his family about the obstacles his late dad had to overcome.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2020/06/mitt-romney-black-lives-matter/612808/

1 hour ago, nuclearfuels said:

Romney is a lying opportunist, much like McCain. Runs on one platform, votes in support of another.   

He supported a lot of diversity in Boston and Belmont? Such as....?

We try and tell ourselves what he does is good for the church and gospel, so we should continue supporting him. 

No, thanks.

It is a major error to invoke the LDS Church and the Gospel of Jesus Christ in discussing George Romney, Mitt Romney, or John McCain.  One might properly invoke the Constitution and a variety of political considerations.  That is the only discussion worth having.  Like Hugh Nibley and my mother, I am a life-long Democrat, but not an unthinking one.  I have always admired George Romney and even Mitt --- despite his shortcomings --- and always like to see someone who is not cowed by controversy and who is willing to speak truth to power.  I don't ask that politicians be perfect.  Only that they occasionally do something worthy of this great country.  I understand the partisan bickering and wrangling, and the various theories which compete for our loyalty, but I also know that "politics is the art of the possible."  No more, no less.

1 hour ago, Robert F. Smith said:

It is a major error to invoke the LDS Church and the Gospel of Jesus Christ in discussing George Romney, Mitt Romney, or John McCain.  One might properly invoke the Constitution and a variety of political considerations.  That is the only discussion worth having.  Like Hugh Nibley and my mother, I am a life-long Democrat, but not an unthinking one.  I have always admired George Romney and even Mitt --- despite his shortcomings --- and always like to see someone who is not cowed by controversy and who is willing to speak truth to power.  I don't ask that politicians be perfect.  Only that they occasionally do something worthy of this great country.  I understand the partisan bickering and wrangling, and the various theories which compete for our loyalty, but I also know that "politics is the art of the possible."  No more, no less.

100% agree. That took some guts for Mitt to be the lone Republican to say yes to convict Trump. I know he's been wishy-washy on some issues but aren't we all when we're torn between, or if he has done wrong in some actions, I think he's learning like the rest of us. I was very pleased that he marched, of course.

Posters who can't follow the no politics rule will be given a week's vacation from the site to contemplate their inability to control themselves.  Ralph and nuclearfuels are the first winners.