Seriously No Politics ×

First Presidency Announces the Creation of 4 Additional Quorums of Area Seventies

2 hours ago, Rain said:

First Presidency announces the creation of 4 additional quorums of Area Seventies

There is more to the story.  

So now there will be 12 quorums.

Exciting news reflecting the prophesied global spread of the Church and Kingdom in this latter-day gospel dispensation. 

Note the proper nomenclature (Area Seventies, not “area authorities”).  Also, the brief historical explanation of the development of the current terminology: “area authorities” at first, then “area authority seventies” for a fairly brief period, and ultimately Area Seventies (as distinguished from General Authority Seventies). 

Edited by Scott Lloyd

I think it shows the genius of the administrative structure the Lord has revealed for His Church in latter days that the number of seventies quorums is infinitely expandable commensurate with the growth of the Church. Also, the quorums are organized according to geographical regions for proximity and cultural/linguistic compatibility.

The quorums, of course, all serve under the direction of the First Presidency and the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles.

The office of seventy was instituted in Moses's day, utilized during the Lord's mortal ministry and carried forward into the latter-day dispensation.

Edited by Scott Lloyd

So, 70 times 7 takes on a new meaning. 

Apropos of this thread, this article  appeared this week in the Church News. It gives a good overview of the distinction between General Authority Seventies, Area Seventies and general officers. I think there has been some confusion on this in the past.

It also gives a brief, one-paragraph sequence from the creation of the Area Authority position in 1995, the renaming of it to Area Authority Seventy in 1997 and the later shortening of the name to Area Seventy. 

Have this quote I've been carrying around for 23 years:

"The Church is now ready to receive the Lord Jesus Christ at His Second Coming, with this organization".

Reported quote by President Gordon B. Hinckley, Salt Lake Temple meeting with newly ordained and/or set-apart Seventies as the Quorums expanded from 2 to 5 quorums in April 1997, establishing Area (Authority) Seventies.  As reported verbatim on two separate occasions shortly there after, by a Seventy where I was present: Elder Gary F. Coleman (1st Q of Seventy) on one occasion, and Elder David W. Ferrell (5th Q of Seventy) on another occasion; in stake and regional leadership meetings.

On 5/29/2020 at 8:58 PM, supersc said:

Have this quote I've been carrying around for 23 years:

"The Church is now ready to receive the Lord Jesus Christ at His Second Coming, with this organization".

Reported quote by President Gordon B. Hinckley, Salt Lake Temple meeting with newly ordained and/or set-apart Seventies as the Quorums expanded from 2 to 5 quorums in April 1997, establishing Area (Authority) Seventies.  As reported verbatim on two separate occasions shortly there after, by a Seventy where I was present: Elder Gary F. Coleman (1st Q of Seventy) on one occasion, and Elder David W. Ferrell (5th Q of Seventy) on another occasion; in stake and regional leadership meetings.

In the Book of Luke, we read that Christ called seventy and sent them forth two by two for the work of the ministry. The pattern continues in these latter days. We might infer from your quote that it will continue even after He comes to reign personally on the earth. 

I am amazed at how little members know about the structure beyond the confines of a Stake. I was on a zoom mtg last night and the High Councilor was confused as to what to call the Area Seventy, it was higgledy piggedly trying to get it straight

On 5/22/2020 at 7:22 PM, Rain said:

First Presidency announces the creation of 4 additional quorums of Area Seventies

There is more to the story.  

So now there will be 12 quorums.

I'm marveling at how they see when a new quorum of 70 men are needed and whether or not that means the quorums will consist of 70 men in each. 

"that area over there needs more support.  how many should we call and ordain? 20? 25? 30? no let's just make it an even 70 and then call another quorum of 70 if they get too busy"

Edited by Ahab
6 minutes ago, Ahab said:

I'm marveling at how they see when a new quorum of 70 men are needed and whether or not that means the quorums will consist of 70 men in each. 

"that area over there needs more support.  how many should we call and ordain? 20? 25? 30? no let's just make it an even 70 and then call another quorum of 70 if they get too busy"

A quorum can have up to 70 members. It needn’t have 70 right away. 

3 minutes ago, Scott Lloyd said:

A quorum can have up to 70 members. It needn’t have 70 right away. 

A quorum of 70, i think you meant.  There are quorums of various sizes,  such as 3 or 12, as well. I'd have to look up how many members an elder's quorum can have in it.

I just think it's interesting that these are additional quorums of 70, when perhaps they could otherwise choose to have quorums of different sizes.  Or maybe it is because of what they will do that they need to be in quorums of 70.

48 minutes ago, Ahab said:

A quorum of 70, i think you meant.  There are quorums of various sizes,  such as 3 or 12, as well. I'd have to look up how many members an elder's quorum can have in it.

I just think it's interesting that these are additional quorums of 70, when perhaps they could otherwise choose to have quorums of different sizes.  Or maybe it is because of what they will do that they need to be in quorums of 70.

I meant that a quorum of seventy need not have its full complement of 70 members right away, even though it is called a quorum of seventy. It can start with fewer and work up to 70. 

2 minutes ago, Scott Lloyd said:

I meant that a quorum of seventy need not have its full complement of 70 members right away, even though it is called a quorum of seventy. It can start with fewer and work up to 70. 

I understand that and did before you said so.  I was expressing my marvel at why quorums of 70 are called for this purpose, rather than quorums of 3 or 12 or some other number. 

The "so they can have 70 people doing that" idea seems reasonable, though, I suppose.  That way they don't need to call as many quorums of 3, or 12, or some other quorum with less than 70 possible members.