Seriously No Politics ×

Pee Euee

I think we have dead mice in our bilge. I don't know how we're going to find them. I feel sorry for them they probably starve to death. Our cats bring them in and then they set them loose  to chase around the boat. I just caught one in a cup and set it free up in the ice plants. I hope God gives them some kind of painkiller when they starve to death because there's nothing to eat in the bilge except wires and fiberglass maybe some hoses.

Where I live , mice are notorious for chewing all the insulation off the electrical wires in tractors and combine harvesters. Mechanics hate trying to clean out all the mice droppings etc.and finding the electrical shorts . Mice bring a virus with them also, so no love lost !!

My grandma used poison on mice assuring me this drove them all outside to die, in spite of the often mummified bodies I would find when I periodically cleaned out her basement or cupboards for her.

I cringe thinking of all the animal and insect crap in the walls of our home.

We had a squirrel or chipmunk in one of our walls (thankfully downstairs)... it smelled for a month+ or so until it dried up and the odor went away... So far I've been lucky with my little beach house... we have lots of little critters and birds but so far so good.  The vents have new wire mesh... and I have a monthly pest control service.  

GG

7 hours ago, strappinglad said:

Where I live , mice are notorious for chewing all the insulation off the electrical wires in tractors and combine harvesters. Mechanics hate trying to clean out all the mice droppings etc.and finding the electrical shorts . Mice bring a virus with them also, so no love lost !!

Yeh, the hanta virus is very dangerous.  When I was young, our cat used to go out and kill mice and bring them back to the house and lay them down in front of me.  Like it was her job, or something.  Mice and rats are very dangerous disease vectors.  If someone wants them as pets, keep them in cages, please.

20 hours ago, Garden Girl said:

We had a squirrel or chipmunk in one of our walls (thankfully downstairs)... it smelled for a month+ or so until it dried up and the odor went away... So far I've been lucky with my little beach house... we have lots of little critters and birds but so far so good.  The vents have new wire mesh... and I have a monthly pest control service.  

GG

The pest control company might offer a service whereby they also provide eradication (or, perhaps better said, control: No one should ever promise eradication! :rolleyes:;)) of slightly larger critters, Garden Girl.  Not sure how much they would charge in your area, but it might be worth looking into, if you are of such a mind. :)

Edited by Kenngo1969