Seriously No Politics ×

Polygamy Now Legal? Thoughts?

I never cared one way or another, would love to hear some feedback on this.  Not trying to create a flame war, just trying to wrap my head around this.  Considering the rates of cheating, divorce and out of wedlock births polygamy has always been near the bottom of my lists of cares so thought I'd post this here and learn from those who might. 

https://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/ny-polygamy-utah-decriminalized-20200513-64vq5ptw4bf6bi2fkijpfrpchu-story.html

Edited by poptart
3 hours ago, The Nehor said:

It is not legal. It is just not a felony anymore. You will probably not be punished specifically for it unless it involves other crimes like domestic or sexual abuse or human trafficking or whatever.

So kinda like how weed isn't a felony in some states?  Huh, ok then.  Ohh boy imagine being in a court where a bunch of charges are read off topped off with polygamy, i'd be laughing so hard.  I'd love to see the bill a family like that has food wise, betting they don't go to whole foods a lot.

Polygyny is still illegal in Utah and all other states and territories of the USA.  The Edmunds-Tucker Act makes it illegal federally, and no state allows plural marriage.  Utah has merely made so-called polygamy an infraction, for which a citation and fine can be levied.  A woman still cannot go to a county clerk and get signed up to marry two men (polyandry), nor a man with two women.  Bigamy and polygamy has not suddenly become legal here.  That will remain so until a test case comes before the U.S. Supreme Court.

Anyone insistent on plural wives should go to a Muslim country, where such marriages are actually legal.

10 hours ago, poptart said:

So kinda like how weed isn't a felony in some states?  Huh, ok then.  Ohh boy imagine being in a court where a bunch of charges are read off topped off with polygamy, i'd be laughing so hard.  I'd love to see the bill a family like that has food wise, betting they don't go to whole foods a lot.

It has basically been reduced to a midemeanor. As was pointed out it is also still illegal federally but federal law enforcement is unlikely to spend a lot of time hunting those breaking that law down but if they were to catch someone and prosecute the punishment would probably be more than a felony.

Kind of like weed as weed is also illegal federally but some states have legalized it. Marijuana legalization is on shaky ground as the FBI could bust a marijuana dispensary in California or Colorado because what they are doing is illegal under federal law. President Obama instructed law enforcement not to actively pursue marijuana crimes in states that have legalized it and President Trump has not changed that policy. You still should definitely never mail weed through the post office or take it on an airplane or carry it across a border because then federal jurisdiction takes over.

16 hours ago, poptart said:

I never cared one way or another, would love to hear some feedback on this.  Not trying to create a flame war, just trying to wrap my head around this.  Considering the rates of cheating, divorce and out of wedlock births polygamy has always been near the bottom of my lists of cares so thought I'd post this here and learn from those who might. 

https://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/ny-polygamy-utah-decriminalized-20200513-64vq5ptw4bf6bi2fkijpfrpchu-story.html

Since there's still cheating, divorce,  custody issues and other problems with polygamous relationships, this can help those involved seek legal protections.

9 hours ago, The Nehor said:

It has basically been reduced to a midemeanor. As was pointed out it is also still illegal federally but federal law enforcement is unlikely to spend a lot of time hunting those breaking that law down but if they were to catch someone and prosecute the punishment would probably be more than a felony.

Kind of like weed as weed is also illegal federally but some states have legalized it. Marijuana legalization is on shaky ground as the FBI could bust a marijuana dispensary in California or Colorado because what they are doing is illegal under federal law. President Obama instructed law enforcement not to actively pursue marijuana crimes in states that have legalized it and President Trump has not changed that policy. You still should definitely never mail weed through the post office or take it on an airplane or carry it across a border because then federal jurisdiction takes over.

That's interesting, thanks for Sharing Nehor, you're one of the more level headed people here so your words of wisdom are always appreciated.

I so hope they just legalize weed and be done with it, as it is the war on drugs has not only made the cartels wealthy, powerful and well armed it's also allowed them to infest our country to the point where law enforcement is having a lot of problems.  Not sure polygamy causes any sorts of problems, then again not exactly something I know a lot about so who knows.

8 hours ago, Meadowchik said:

Since there's still cheating, divorce,  custody issues and other problems with polygamous relationships, this can help those involved seek legal protections.

Oh man I can only imagine what kind of a legal and expensive headache that would be.  I dunno, i'm all for dating and what not but whenever I have been in a relationship monogamy is the rule.  For one, if anything goes wrong I want as little trouble as possible.

26 minutes ago, poptart said:

That's interesting, thanks for Sharing Nehor, you're one of the more level headed people here so your words of wisdom are always appreciated.

I must be in some sort of asylum........

27 minutes ago, poptart said:

I so hope they just legalize weed and be done with it, as it is the war on drugs has not only made the cartels wealthy, powerful and well armed it's also allowed them to infest our country to the point where law enforcement is having a lot of problems.  Not sure polygamy causes any sorts of problems, then again not exactly something I know a lot about so who knows.

Oh man I can only imagine what kind of a legal and expensive headache that would be.  I dunno, i'm all for dating and what not but whenever I have been in a relationship monogamy is the rule.  For one, if anything goes wrong I want as little trouble as possible.

The war on drugs does not have an impressive track record. The Covid pandemic has slowed the trade a little and is especially curtailing the usual money laundering avenues the cartels use to move money back to Mexico or overseas.

Polygamy would be a huge mess when it comes to divorce and inheritance. The “poly” community seems to be mostly made up of unstable relationships amongst a lot of unstable people. If you are ever bored look up poly stories on reddit. It makes me feel better about my choices.

This sums up what I know of poly couples:

Though to be fair if I ever get married I will probably be one of those creepier board game couples.

55 minutes ago, The Nehor said:

I must be in some sort of asylum........

The war on drugs does not have an impressive track record. The Covid pandemic has slowed the trade a little and is especially curtailing the usual money laundering avenues the cartels use to move money back to Mexico or overseas.

Polygamy would be a huge mess when it comes to divorce and inheritance. The “poly” community seems to be mostly made up of unstable relationships amongst a lot of unstable people. If you are ever bored look up poly stories on reddit. It makes me feel better about my choices.

This sums up what I know of poly couples:

Though to be fair if I ever get married I will probably be one of those creepier board game couples.

The war on drugs kept a couple of my cop cousins employed, jailing poor kids and ruining their record did wonders for their careers.  How ironic, now that the cartels have moved into the neighborhoods where their grandkids go to school i'll see facebook posts about how we have to come together for the kids, especially theirs....

Oh man I won't even go there, I knew a few poly couples, it was like watching a trainwreck in slow motion.  People make some really, really bad choices sometimes, bright side is it's entertaining for me to watch from the comfort of my chair behind my monitor.  Gamer couples are the best, for one we all tend to agree on our obsessions and from personal experience there's less that can go wrong.

50 minutes ago, poptart said:

The war on drugs kept a couple of my cop cousins employed, jailing poor kids and ruining their record did wonders for their careers.  How ironic, now that the cartels have moved into the neighborhoods where their grandkids go to school i'll see facebook posts about how we have to come together for the kids, especially theirs....

Oh man I won't even go there, I knew a few poly couples, it was like watching a trainwreck in slow motion.  People make some really, really bad choices sometimes, bright side is it's entertaining for me to watch from the comfort of my chair behind my monitor.  Gamer couples are the best, for one we all tend to agree on our obsessions and from personal experience there's less that can go wrong.

Look into the “tough on crime” initiatives back in the 80s and 90s. It is no coincidence they were trying to scare my parents into demanding tough punishment for crime right as prisons started being privatized. Someone saw a sweet payday and got it. Then mandatory minimum sentencing which was agreed on by both political parties (for different reasons) and backfired on both.

It backfired on a lot of those parents too. Keeping the “bad kids” off the street with harsh punishment seems like a great idea until your kid screws up and you suddenly realize how unreasonably unfair the punishment actually is.

Gamer couples are also messed up in my experience. Not if it is a shared hobby or whatever but if you identify that much with your hobby that you make it part of your core identity I think they have gone a little too far.

And yeah, they are generally train wrecks. The sad part is when they go up they almost always ends up destroying at least one person’s sense of self.

Edited by The Nehor
2 minutes ago, The Nehor said:

Look into the “tough on crime” initiatives back in the 80s and 90s. It is no coincidence they were trying to scare my parents into demanding tough punishment for crime right as prisons started being privatized. Someone saw a sweet payday and got it. Then mandatory minimum sentencing which was agreed on by both political parties (for different reasons) and backfired on both.

It backfired on a lot of those parents too. Keeping the “bad kids” off the street with harsh punishment seems like a great idea until your kid screws up and you suddenly realize how unreasonably unfair the punishment actually is.

Gamer couples are also messed up in my experience. Not if it is a shared hobby or whatever but if you identify that much with your hobby that you make it part of your core identity I think they have gone a little too far.

And yeah, they are generally train wrecks. The sad part is when they go up they almost always ends up destroying at least one person’s sense of self.

I know all about that, saw a couple buddies back when get totally ruined by that.  One bad partner, drugs, parents who didn't care and yeah that was that.  Meanwhile some of the rich kids I knew?  Mommy and daddy bought their way out of everything.  Know only one guy who ever caught the hint, his life is still a bit of a mess.  The real scary part for me is how bad parents/step parents used those laws on their own families.  I learned the hard way just how often fathers go out of their way to ruin sons.  I had the restraining order served and was long gone while I waited for my father to die from cancer, despite the hell that was I was lucky in comparison to a lot of the other stories I heard. 

You're spot on too, problem is here we are now and well, good luck reversing what's been done.  I cringe at the stuff millenial parents do to each other, they have no idea the monsters they're creating, it's like they learned nothing from when we were all growing up. 

True, seen that as well.  I keep frogetting I can put down my PS4 controller and move on, not everyone can.

I knew one guy who I was kinda close to, was in a poly relationship.  He went out of his way to rescue his now ex from a very bad situation, in the end she turned on him and they split up.  He got into some very bad stuff and I never heard from him again.  It's scary, despite my messed up childhood at least I didn't have that around me, the mess that this current society is in is just hellish.