Death by Double Reeds

Posted (edited)

We held a Zoom Sunday School class with our son Cellissimo and his family today. Much of it was a “foyer” class, but eventually we had a great discussion.

Not wishing to be sacrilegious, but while reading the account of Noah executing Abinadi, it occurred to me that Abinadi may have been the first and possibly the only person ever murdered by burning bassoons. 

Edited by Bernard Gui
The original title was not humorous.
  • Like 1

Only for connoisseurs of highbrow humor. 

• Like 1
Posted (edited)

Thanks for the “helpful” edit. I made a better one that was true to  the original intention. The question was precipitated by a grandson asking what a f——-—t, the actual word used in the BoM, is. The explanation given to him had nothing to do with a derogatory word, nor does the joke, but with it’s original meaning which is a bundle of sticks. What does a bundle of sticks have to do with a bassoon?

Edited by Bernard Gui

F****t is a nickname for a bassoon. Reading that twice may or may not be a double read... 

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Bernard Gui said:

We held a Zoom Sunday School class with our son Cellisimo and his family today. Much of it was a “foyer” class, but eventually we had a great discussion.

Not wishing to be sacrilegious, but while reading the account of Noah executing Abinadi, it occurred to me that Abinadi may have been the first and possibly the only person ever murdered by burning bassoons. 

Better than Death By Donna Reeds.

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, CV75 said:

Ow...

1 hour ago, CV75 said:

Don't be raggin' on Mary Bailey! 😀

1 hour ago, Calm said:

Ow...

21 minutes ago, Kenngo1969 said:

Don't be raggin' on Mary Bailey! 😀

I meant it in a good way...

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, Que said:

F****t is a nickname for a bassoon. Reading that twice may or may not be a double read... 

Fagotto is the Italian word for bassoon. It,  not bassoon, has been used in the instrumentation of classical music scores for centuries.

Fagot, fagote, fagotto, or fagott in virtually all  languages.

The words have nothing to do with the current derogatory term.

Nice pun!

Edited by Bernard Gui
  • Like 1

To my knowledge, no one has ever died from fagott except for the guy/girl who had a heart attack playing the "killer" solo in Bolero or the opening of Le Sacre du Printemps.

Q. What do a bassoon and a lawsuit have in common? A. Everyone is happy when the case if finally closed.

• Like 1
Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Derl Sanderson said:

To my knowledge, no one has ever died from fagott except for the guy/girl who had a heart attack playing the "killer" solo in Bolero or the opening of Le Sacre du Printemps.

Q. What do a bassoon and a lawsuit have in common? A. Everyone is happy when the case if finally closed.

Some may have died from playing the fagott (Sorcerer’s Apprentice among the ones you mentioned?), but executed by one? I think not! Unless of course he were driven mad by being forced to listen to a bassoonist practicing scales for 8 hours.

The second bassoonist in the opera orchestra needed to take a night off, so with nothing better to do, he decided to go to the opera, which he enjoyed immensely. The next night back in the pit, his stand partner asked him how he liked the show. “I loved it. And you know that part where we go oompah oompah? Well, at the same time there’s this guy dressed in a fancy costume on stage singing, “Toreador en garde!!!”

Edited by Bernard Gui
  • Like 1
On 5/10/2020 at 6:24 PM, Bernard Gui said:

Well, from a practical perspective I suppose it kind of makes sense. I mean, bassoons do burn longer than oboes...not that I would know, of course. ;) 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Amulek said:

Well, from a practical perspective I suppose it kind of makes sense. I mean, bassoons do burn longer than oboes...not that I would know, of course. ;) 

😁

• Like 1